Author Topic: Bird family - occupation Hawkers - stuck please help  (Read 3650 times)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bird family - occupation Hawkers - stuck please help
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 00:05 GMT (UK) »

Need help in tracking them down.

What I know is Matthew Bird (Hawker) married Esther Saunders in 1904 at Sandhurst Parish Church (kent) his age was 20 and she was 20.  The dates tie up with dates for the deaths so are very near accurate.  Esther and Matthews fathers are both called Thomas - Matthews father Thomas is a Hawker and Esthers father is a labourer.  I cannot find them on the 1901 census at all.  I do not know where they come from either.  I have the 1891 census index for Kent and Sussex and they do not appear on it although once married they stayed in this area.

I am absolutely stuck on this one.  I believe that Matthew may have had a sister called Sarah Ann?  If anyone can help me break down this impossible barrier I would be very glad to hear.

Janet

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bird family - occupation Hawkers - stuck please help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 05 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janet,

I cannot help you with your specific query, but I do have various bits of info.
 I found a Bird family in the 1851 census for East Grinstead, listed as Vagrants living in a tent in Ashurstwood. The only place of birth given, was for the head, Moses (30) and that was Limpsfield, Surrey. His wife is Ellen (28) and his daughter is Sarah Ann (1).

There are also three families in the 1881 census, two are Pedlars, living on Mitcham Common, the third, which may prove interesting is:

RG11: Piece/folio 0827/65: page 8
Dwelling: Half Acre Row, Mitcham, Surrey
Thomas Bird, head, married, 60, born Godstone Surrey, Hawker
Susanna Bird, wife, married, 59, born Speldhurst Kent

Generally, going by the places of birth, where they have been given, they seem to travel across Kent, Sussex and Surrey.

If you want any more of the census info in more detail, let me know.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyz

• I am sorry but my emails no longer work
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Me and David
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, My cousins partner is a Bird, I wonder if you are related, would you like me to find out? Lyz
Amer, Ball, Beldam, Beswick,  Curtis, Chipperfield, Carter, Orchard

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi lyz

Yes if you could do some digging would be pleased.  The Bird family is connected to the Ripley family who mainly came from Hailsham.  Rebecca Ripley married Thomas Bird who had Matthew Bird and Sarah Ann Ripley.  Sarah Ann Ripley was Matthew Birds brother and they resided in Hawkhurst area.  I do have other information but not to hand at this precise moment.  Can you get anything from this information and that that I have previously given.

Regards

Janet Bird

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All

The Susanna Bird who was a Mitcham I think was previously a Mills and she was also know as Sukki

Fifi
Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent