Author Topic: Lavinia LOCK  (Read 3700 times)

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sabina and Lavinia LOCK
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
There are several families in the Gwynedd area with the surname Lock so it is quite likely that they may be related in some way.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi GillyJ

I’d agree that it’s likely - I have seen references to the family travelling between Wales and the bordering English counties.
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't currently have an Ancestry sub, so I can't look at your tree yet, Jonathan. 
I've found a baptism for Lavinia Lock in 1799 at Madeley, Salop, so I guess this must be her and she was older than I realised. 

Have you got anywhere with the Davis side?  A while ago I had some lengthy correspondence with another Rootschatter about her Davis family who are linked with the Ray/Reays, but we never managed to fit William in with them.  You have probably found the newspaper reports about Naomi's sister Susannah, whose "paramour" Benjamin Ray was convicted of her manslaughter.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I think it’s safe to assume it’s the same Lavinia - I’m guessing William Davis was a bit younger than her as their ages (albeit varying from census to census) are consistently showing a few years’ difference. I’m very happy to help to dig out any information that may help.

Wow - I didn’t know that about Benjamin Ray, who is a member of my family. Do you have a copy of the report??

There seem to have been Davis links with the Rea/Reay/Ray family, which is borne it by the 1861 census where they’re all living close together. My mother’s maiden name was spelt Ray.

From my research, both the Davis and Rea names were to be found in the Romany community.

There are three Benjamin Rays in my family and my guess is that the paramour was the Benjamin born c 1846 - his nephew Joseph, Naomi’s son and my great-grandfather, was also a “bad lad” with a long string of convictions for theft, assault and drunkenness. 

Very best wishes.

Jonny

Unfortunately I don't currently have an Ancestry sub, so I can't look at your tree yet, Jonathan. 
I've found a baptism for Lavinia Lock in 1799 at Madeley, Salop, so I guess this must be her and she was older than I realised. 

Have you got anywhere with the Davis side?  A while ago I had some lengthy correspondence with another Rootschatter about her Davis family who are linked with the Ray/Reays, but we never managed to fit William in with them.  You have probably found the newspaper reports about Naomi's sister Susannah, whose "paramour" Benjamin Ray was convicted of her manslaughter.
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is 1846 Benjamin, who features in the Birmingham Post on several occasions, and not in a good way.  Here are the news reports about Susannah.

ALLEGED MANSLAUGHTER IN BIRMINGHAM

Last evening the Borough Coroner resumed the enquiry, at the Grand Turk Inn, Lench Street, into the cause of the death of Sarah (sic) Davis (30), Brickiln Street, who it was alleged had died from the effects of injuries inflicted by her paramour, Benjamin Reay, a gun barrel welder.  The inquest was adjourned for additional evidence.  – Joseph Riley said that on Monday, the 4th ult, he saw Reay and deceased leave the Red Lion Inn, Lancaster Street, and they commenced to quarrel, when Reay struck deceased on the head.  As she stooped to pick up a stone, he kicked her, knocking her head against the wall.  He saw her a short time afterwards being conveyed to the hospital. – Mary Cadman gave corroborative evidence, but said she did not see Reay kick the deceased. – The Jury returned a verdict of “Manslaughter against Benjamin Reay”, who was accordingly taken into custody.
(Birmingham Daily Post, Wed 3 Sep 1873)

MANSLAUGHTER IN BIRMINGHAM

Benjamin Reay (25), gun striker, pleaded guilty to having feloniously killed and slain Susannah Davis, at Birmingham, on the 19th  of August.  The plea was entered on the advice of Mr Harris, who defended.   The deceased cohabited with the prisoner as his wife.  On the day in question the deceased visited a neighbouring public house, when a dispute arose between them.  In endeavouring to wrest a stone from her she was injured in the forehead, and afterwards died from erysipelas.  Evidence was called to show that the prisoner was uniformly kind to deceased, and that on the day of the quarrel she was very provoking. – Sentence was deferred.
(Birmingham Daily Post, 19 Dec 1873)

MANSLAUGHTER IN LANCASTER STREET

Benjamin Reay (25), gun barrel striker, who had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Susannah Davis, in Lancaster Street, on the 19th of August, was brought up for sentence.  – His Lordship said he had carefully considered the evidence given before the magistrates, as well as what was proved in court on Thursday evening, and was clearly of the opinion that the deceased had lost her life in consequence of a severe blow given her by the prisoner, and that the stone she had in her hand at the time was picked up for self-defence.  He therefore felt bound to deal with the case severely.  – Prisoner was sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude.
(Birmingham Daily Post, 20 Dec 1873)

I will give Brummygirl a shout as we had copious discussions about these families.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Sloe Gin

Thank you so much for sending, really appreciated - a significant if very disturbing piece of family history!

I'm sorry you're not able to view my family tree but if there's anything I can help you with, just let me know.

As you said earlier there's clearly a connection between the Rays (whichever spelling) and Davises, particularly as it looks like Susannah took up with Naomi's brother in law. I see in the 1871 census that Susannah is listed as Susannah Reay, spouse of Benjamin (and their ages check out with the birthdates we have) but I can't see any marriage record and on the civil death record she's referred to as Davis.

Jonny

Yes, it is 1846 Benjamin, who features in the Birmingham Post on several occasions, and not in a good way.  Here are the news reports about Susannah.

ALLEGED MANSLAUGHTER IN BIRMINGHAM

Last evening the Borough Coroner resumed the enquiry, at the Grand Turk Inn, Lench Street, into the cause of the death of Sarah (sic) Davis (30), Brickiln Street, who it was alleged had died from the effects of injuries inflicted by her paramour, Benjamin Reay, a gun barrel welder.  The inquest was adjourned for additional evidence.  – Joseph Riley said that on Monday, the 4th ult, he saw Reay and deceased leave the Red Lion Inn, Lancaster Street, and they commenced to quarrel, when Reay struck deceased on the head.  As she stooped to pick up a stone, he kicked her, knocking her head against the wall.  He saw her a short time afterwards being conveyed to the hospital. – Mary Cadman gave corroborative evidence, but said she did not see Reay kick the deceased. – The Jury returned a verdict of “Manslaughter against Benjamin Reay”, who was accordingly taken into custody.
(Birmingham Daily Post, Wed 3 Sep 1873)

MANSLAUGHTER IN BIRMINGHAM

Benjamin Reay (25), gun striker, pleaded guilty to having feloniously killed and slain Susannah Davis, at Birmingham, on the 19th  of August.  The plea was entered on the advice of Mr Harris, who defended.   The deceased cohabited with the prisoner as his wife.  On the day in question the deceased visited a neighbouring public house, when a dispute arose between them.  In endeavouring to wrest a stone from her she was injured in the forehead, and afterwards died from erysipelas.  Evidence was called to show that the prisoner was uniformly kind to deceased, and that on the day of the quarrel she was very provoking. – Sentence was deferred.
(Birmingham Daily Post, 19 Dec 1873)

MANSLAUGHTER IN LANCASTER STREET

Benjamin Reay (25), gun barrel striker, who had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Susannah Davis, in Lancaster Street, on the 19th of August, was brought up for sentence.  – His Lordship said he had carefully considered the evidence given before the magistrates, as well as what was proved in court on Thursday evening, and was clearly of the opinion that the deceased had lost her life in consequence of a severe blow given her by the prisoner, and that the stone she had in her hand at the time was picked up for self-defence.  He therefore felt bound to deal with the case severely.  – Prisoner was sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude.
(Birmingham Daily Post, 20 Dec 1873)

I will give Brummygirl a shout as we had copious discussions about these families.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Apologies to everyone following this thread - the statement in italics below is incorrect, resultnig from my misreading a comment elsewhere.

Jonny

I've attached a photo of Matthew and his wife, Remembrance Boswell, which may be of interest. The Boswells were another well-known Romany family. the caption Willie Lee is believed to refer to another name Matthew used. The consensus is that it's definitely Matthew, and from my perspective he certainly resembles later members of my family including my mother.

Do feel free to have a look at my Ancestry family tree (Jonathan Browne's Family Tree) which is publicly available and contains the information I've got so far on the Locks.

Jonny

Hello Jonny - that is wonderful and means a real breakthrough for me.  I had never found Lavinia's parents, nor that she had a brother named Matthew.

I had wondered if Matthew was Sampson and had changed his name - he seems about the same age - but have since found that he died aged 6 and was buried at Oldbury.

DAVIS, SAMPSON        aged 6
GRO Reference: 1849 Q1 in WEST BROMWICH  Volume 18  Page 443

Burial from FreeReg
Sampson DAVIS    Aged 6  Burial  5 Feb 1849    Worcestershire    Oldbury : Christ Church

I also obtained his birth cert - he was not registered by either of his parents but by someone "present at the birth", and not until eight weeks afterwards!  I'll post it here but it is only from the pdf so poor quality.  As far as I know this is the only one of William & Lavinia's children to be registered.