Author Topic: Help understanding districts...  (Read 1495 times)

Offline buttercup

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help understanding districts...
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 04:15 GMT (UK) »
This query may seem silly? but here goes...

Recently ive come across a transcription of sorts for the 1841 Wigan census.

And i noticed there are districts such as Scholes, All SAints, Swinley, Queen St and st George.

As i dont live in the country am wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain just where boundaries for these districts lie? I have a fair idea of where Swinley lies but even that is only limited by the few streets ancestors lived in.

I also understand that these boundaries would have change by now??

If anyone has the time to help me understand these then id be most appreciative.

Regards BC

HURST, RUDD, BANKS, APPLETON, BRYAN, RIGBY, ORMSHAW, PICKERING - Lancashire
BRYAN, PICKERING - Cheshire
BROWN, TURK - East Sussex

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding districts...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 05:46 GMT (UK) »
This is one of my biggest problems - where places are and where!  I have gotten into a lot of trouble over them.  Recently it was Nottinghamshire - but after finding a map I suddenly pulled my Blagg relations together.

Okay its simple - on the web type Map of Wigan and you will get several nice maps some of which have the districts overlaid on top.  There is also a fabulous site called Wigan World - look it up I found a relative on it from an article someone wrote.  The guy who runs it is very nice and helpful too and I am sure a local will zap you a map if need be.  I would send you one if you need I used to live in Wigan (30 years ago!)

Frances
FB

Offline buttercup

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 05 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances,

Its a wonder i didnt really think of that sooner  ::)

Anyway i now have a bit of a st map but still tryin to find a decent one of districts

Thanks anyway
BC :D

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 05 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I have to look for it but there is a site for Wigan - someone sent me - they would have maps with the areas clearly marked out.  I will find it for you.  But the different areas are on those maps - I guess you need to know where they start exactly.  Try the Wigan World site they have a chat site like this one.  I'll get back to you with the other Wigan site when I find the letter my almost relation sent me - I have too much stuff.
I lived in Wigan for several years and I still have no idea where those areas are exactley.  I lived in poolstock.  Bolton, where I come from, did a whole set of maps of the different areas that could be bought for s modest price - don't know if Wigan did the same.  The maps were about 1908.  Keep searching the net for Map sites of Wigan - I'll find the other thing in my notes.
Frances
FB

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
As an aid to finding places try http://www.abcounties.co.uk/  it gives the old county names and the modern local government area names.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 February 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buttercup,

I have to say that no query is silly ! a lot of us including me suffer with the same problems.

I have ordered some great maps from Alan Godfrey www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk which show the districts at the edges of the pages. They are priced for the modest pocket and I have a growing collection  ;D

Sarah :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
been to work and thought where I put that thing - try this leisureheritage@wlct.org its the Wigan Heritage Service and my contact says they are very helpful - so they may have maps or know where to get the best ones.  She says "If you write from far away and throw yoursefl on their mercy it seems easier to be guided to what is available".  Don't be shy, try Wigan World - it has lots of pictures and stuff on it and you might find someone who actually lives in Wigan to help you out.

Hope you get orientated.

Frances
FB

Offline buttercup

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 February 05 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Falkyrn thats a pretty interesting site, must say i was engrossed for a while  ::)

Frances, i had come across Wigan world before and funnily enough found second cousins ;D
Never thought of using the chat rooms really, guess ill have to start now!

Sarah, thats what im afraid of all the $ into a growing collection of resources... hmm i have only myself to blame though for getting started in this addictive "hobby" ;D

BC