Author Topic: William Roylance, Rachel Bordman  (Read 3015 times)

Offline annabananae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Roylance, Rachel Bordman
« on: Wednesday 22 April 09 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any information on William Roylance and Rachel Bordman? They are the parents of my ancestor John THomas Roylance who was born in Dukinfield, Cheshire, England in 1841. Please help needed

Offline velpremus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Roylance, Rachel Bordman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
It is alway difficult to know what "any information" means.

Your John Thomas was christened on 7 Februray 1838 at St Michaels Ashton under Lyne,, the same church christened his sister Ellen who married Squire Fallan in 1855 and they also christened Jane who went on to marry Joseph Nield in 1859 - The censuses show that  Rachel lived with daughter Margaret 1861 and 1871 and died in 1878 in Dukinfield, Margaret looks to have remained unmarried and died in 1902 in Ashton. You may have all that or you may not -If you have I was "wasting" my time - so it is always advisable to state what you want like marriage or census info.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
HO107/2238; Folio 243; Page 2
Mossly, Ashton under Lyne

Thomas ROYLANCE - Head - 73 - Tinplate Worker - Manchester
Tabatha ROYLANCE - Wife - 68 - Tinplate Worker - Holmfirth, Yorks
Thomas ROYLANCE - G-Son - 13 - Tinplate Worker - Ashton u Lyne
Thomas BRUNNER - G-Son - 12 - Tinplate Worker - Mossley
Margaret HALL - G-Dau - 14 - Cotton Weaver - Mossley

The grandson looks a good match for (John) Thomas, who seems to be listed as Thomas on censuses.

There is another ROYLANCE family living next door, with head of household Thomas (aged 29) who is Thomas and Tabitha's son - the 1841 census shows him with his parents and brother John.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Warren Ford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  My grandfather is Robert Alexander Roylance and appears to be a decedent of William Roylance and Rachel Bordman.  I note Rachel died in 1878, however there is no mention of William.  I would be interested in what both death certificates indicate, cause of death, their parents etc, etc.

Regards

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that the only way to see the details on the death certificate is to buy a copy - the index only shows the quarter when the person died and the age at death (from 1866).

An English death certificate shows:

The name, address, age and occupation of the deceased person
The cause of death
The name and address of the informant

According to the 1851 census entry I quoted above, John Thomas' grandparents (and therefore William's parents) were Thomas ROYLANCE and Tabitha, but I haven't found a marriage for them online.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find William's death, and found something which seems a little odd...

This is the 1841 census entry for William and Rachel:

HO107/109/12/19  - Half Moon, Dukinfield, Cheshire
William ROYLANCE - 30 - Tinplate Worker - not born Cheshire
Rachel ROYLANCE - 30 - not born Cheshire
Jane ROYLANCE - 7 - Cheshire
Thomas ROYLANCE - 5 - Cheshire
Ellin ROYLANCE - 3 - Cheshire
Margaret ROYLANCE - 1 - Cheshire
(Ages of adults rounded down to the nearest 5 years.)

This looks very much like the same William in 1861:

RG9/3000/79/18 - Luzley, Ashton under Lyne, Lancs
William ROYLANCE - Head - Married - 55 - Tinplate Worker - Mossley, Lancs
Easter RIGBY - Unm - 39 - Housekeeper - Newton, Cheshire
John T RIGBY - Son - 13 - Tin Plate Worker - Stalybridge, Cheshire
Josiah RIGBY - Son - 7 - Scholar - Stalybridge, Cheshire
Tabathy RIGBY - Dau - 5 - Stalybridge, Cheshire
Nathaniel RIGBY - Son - 3 wks - Luzley, Lancashire
William RIGBY - Son - 2 - Stalybridge, Cheshire

In 1871 and 1881, Esther ("Easter") is listed as William's wife, with the remaining children also under the surname ROYLANCE.

There is a probable death in 1888:

Deaths Mar 1888   
ROYLANCE   William         (aged 81)
Ashton under Lyne 8d 439

I can't spot a marriage between William and Esther, but of course if Rachel was still alive in 1878, bearing in mind the difficulty (and expense) of divorce at the time, that would explain why.

Added: There are some online trees for this family which give the same two partners for William.  These trees have his parents as Thomas ROYLANCE and Tabitha CASSEL, and Rachel's parents as William BOARDMAN and Ann AINSWORTH.

Hope this is useful!

Rambler

Offline Warren Ford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your trouble and I appreciate the effort you have taken to provide the above information.  A final question do you have any further records about William Bordman and Ann Ainsworth?

Thanks again.

Warren

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm not connected to this family personally - I just have access to census records and free online sources such as Free BMD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com the LDS pilot site http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start etc.

The original thread was apparently started by a descendant of the couple.

Rambler