Author Topic: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup  (Read 27417 times)

Offline Heather H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, everyone, for all this great information about the Hendersons! 

Would it be possible to get a photo of the grave of Thomas Henderson & Agnes Barton in Torthorwald?

Purplekat, can you give me more information about Ann Henderson?  Names & dates of children, grandchildren, etc? 

Since Thomas Henderson & Agnes Barton turned out to be in Torthorwald, maybe that's where I should be directly my inquiries.  There were a lot of Hendersons in that area, and I'm having difficulty sorting them out. 

So Francis Henderson & Mary Vivers (married 1777 Kirklandrigg, Dalton) were buried separately.  Mary with her daughter Sarah Hutchison.  Where is Francis Henderson buried?  That might give a bit more information about him.  A Francis Henderson was born 9 Feb 1735 in Annan, to Thomas Henderson & Bettie Thompson -- but is this the right Francis Henderson?  It makes him rather old at the time of his marriage.  But he did name his oldest son Thomas....

Thanks for any insight!
Heather

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 November 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

When I get a bit more time I'll pm you with some more details about Ann Henderson's family but unfortunately I don't have any details about Francis's family.

Offline RaiR

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Researching Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 December 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone in this group is related to my Richardsons -

1. William RICHARDSON, son of John RICHARDSON (1742-1824) and Elspeth WRIGHT (1738-1778), was born 1770. William died 1849 in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. His body was interred in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He married Elizabeth HANNAH. Elizabeth was born in Dornock, Dumfriesshire, Scotland 1773, the daughter of Robert HANNAH and Mary SCOTT. She was listed as a resident with her daughter (Margaret RICHARDSON, unmarried, aged 39, dressmaker) and granddaughter (Elizabeth BONSTEAD, unmarried, aged 37, servant, born in Lochmaben) in the census report in High Street, Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, 1861. Elizabeth died 4 Nov 1862 in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

William's occupation: Blacksmith.

William RICHARDSON and Elizabeth HANNAH had the following children all born in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland:

2. i. Mary Johnston RICHARDSON was born 24 May 1800.

3. ii. Elspeth RICHARDSON was born 24 Mar 1802 and died April 1802 in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

4. iii. Thomas RICHARDSON was born 24 Feb 1804 and died 8 Apr 1807 in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

5. iv. Janet RICHARDSON was born 17 Nov 1805.

6. v.  Elspeth RICHARDSON was born 31 Dec 1807 and died 3 Jun 1817 in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

7. vi. John RICHARDSON was born in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland 29 May 1810. He married Janet HENDERSON in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, 7 Sep 1838. Janet was born in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland 1808. John's occupation: Blacksmith. He was listed as a resident in the census reports in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, 1841 and 1861. They had the following children: Elizabeth, Charlotte, Elspeth and John.

8. vii. Thomas RICHARDSON was born 12 Jul 1812. He married Jannet WILSON. Thomas and Jannet were my g-g-grandparents. They settled in Sangamon County, Illinois, USA.

9. viii. James RICHARDSON was born 24 Jul 1814.

10. ix. Margaret RICHARDSON was born 22 Oct 1818. Margaret's occupation: Dressmaker. She was listed as a resident in the census report in Hightae, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, 1851 and 1861.

11. x. Isabella RICHARDSON was born 20 Mar 1824
Bonstead, Caldwell, Frood, Hannah, Johnson, Norred, Richardson, Scott, Wilson, Wright

Dornock, Hightae, Kirkmahoe, Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Have  read with interest about Lochmaben lookups and was particularly interested in the ones about Richardson. I am interested in a John Richardson who would have died before 1769. I do not know when he was born. He married Elizabeth Wright who was born about 1706 and died in Jan 1794. Both are buried in Lochmaben. If anyone knows of them or can tell me about their headstone inscriptions I would really appreciate it.
John and his wife livedin Heck. They only had one child Agnes born Jun 1737 who married William Thorburn of Kelto. They are buried in St Michaels and I have their information but it is John and 'Elizabeth I am really interested in.
Any information would be wonderful.
Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, in the Lochmaben Old Churchyard Memorial Inscriptions No 287: Here lyes John Richardson...........Also Elizabeth Wright spouse to foresaid John Richardson who died 10th January 1794 aged about 88 years. Also Elizabeth second daughter to William Thorburn of Kelton and Agnes Richardson spouse who died 13th December 1765 aged 16 months. Also John eldest son to the said William Thorburn and Agnes Richardson who died 2nd January 1764 aged .......... Further inscriptions illegible due to very feathery chisel work.

There are 41 references to Richardsons and 19 with Wright in the above booklet, I think you can still get it from dgfhs

also in the old parochial deaths and burial index there are 9 Richardsons from Heck and 4 Wrights

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much AKC for the information ----very much appreciated!!!

Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Crackpot,
The booklet is still available from DGFHS see www.dgfhs.org.uk and click the Publications link.
I was involved when this booklet was published and took a lot of photographs in the old graveyard.  After looking through the archive I can say I found only five stone listing the Richardson Families.  Unfortunately they do not included your John and Elizabeth.  Many inscriptions, in particular those on the old tables, are now very difficult to read.
The booklet is based on a survey made in the 1960s and sandstone deteriorates fast when lying flat.  Here is a photo of one of the Richardson stones -- if you want the other four showing readable MIs just send me a PM with an email address that accepts attachments.
Regards,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 April 12 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
If someone still has access to the records of Old Lochmaben burials ..I'm wondering if there are references to the Grierson or Lockerbie families?

Thanks
Dorothy
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 April 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Any names in particular you are looking for ? there are a few references to Lockerbie in the opr,s no Griersons but is it possible it could be shortened to " Grier " there are some in " Hightae "

Only one Grierson in the MI,s and one Lockerby

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young