Author Topic: Genes Reunited  (Read 20155 times)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 April 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting trading standards? but you will find many companies quick to take your money but not so quick to give it back. Also we are also to quick to take advantage of anything we think is free, but should know better if they ask for our credit card details. Thats me as well as you. Been there ,donethat, got the T-shirt so to speak.
Migky ;)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi MIGKY,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree - I've been quite happy to use the odd free trial with no intention of taking up full membership (ie credit reference trials etc) and always cancelled in time but the ironic thing is that this time I did have every intention of becoming a paying customer - I just found their gold membership was of no use to me!!  :(

I was thinking trading standards myself but I will probably have to faff about with official written complaint to see that I get the same response that way before going down that route.  It beggars belief that they'd rather have the £25 than possible countless extra off me over many years if they'd just downgrade me to standard!  It hardly makes good business sense to treat customers like this and it's a shame as I was really enjoying getting back into my family tree research just to end up having to fight over this.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The telephone number that relates to them at 185-187 Oxted Chambers etc., the address as given by davidft, is 01883 722 660.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina,

Thanks a lot for that - I will give it a try.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
There is also "WATCHDOG" on the BBC, you never know you may not be the only one they here from?
And i do like to see the big companies try worm there way out on that show
Migky ;)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 April 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
This is all very worrying.  I have been a  GR member for some time, and so far, no problems.  But if this sort of thing is going on, I think I'd better start getting my tree off there and putting it under my own control.  I certainly don't want my membership fees hiked up without my knowledge; to date the combination of GR and A has suited me well, but perhaps it's time to think again.  GR please note: this sort of publicity could do you a lot of harm!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 April 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
This is all very worrying.  I have been a  GR member for some time, and so far, no problems.  But if this sort of thing is going on, I think I'd better start getting my tree off there and putting it under my own control.  I certainly don't want my membership fees hiked up without my knowledge; to date the combination of GR and A has suited me well, but perhaps it's time to think again.  GR please note: this sort of publicity could do you a lot of harm!

To be fair to GR, i did have about a months gap on my membership.
but if for any reason you leave there i don't think once you have left you can remover your tree? I could be wrong and you can? I never try these days
Migky  ;)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 April 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all - Just to say I rang the number Selina kindly got for me and I managed to speak to somebody at Genes Reunited.  They have promised to investigate for me but I probably won't hear anything until Monday now so fingers crossed I might get a positive resolution after all.  I'll let you know when I hear something.

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 April 09 17:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Greensleeves - If you're on standard membership I don't think they'll automatically put you up to gold but just make sure you have "single membership" ticked in "My Account."  There seems to have been some sort of systems error in my case but if it happened to everyone I'm sure we'd be deluged with threads like mine so I wouldn't worry too much.  I'm more disappointed in the shoddy customer service than the initial error.  Thanks for the support (and I love your gorgeous avatar!)