Author Topic: Pollock Gardens near Glasgow  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
Pollock Gardens near Glasgow
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my Great Grandfather (maternal ) James HERON was a gardener at Pollock Gardens near to Glasgow and at 1901 he was living with his family in Pollock Stables.
Any information about Pollock Gardens would be most welcome.
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Pollock Gardens near Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   Pollok Gardens may have been within Pollok House which is in Pollok Country Park, Glasgow

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
You have probably seen this - but this may be of interest but the dates may be too early???

"Twenty-four pods Peas - 1. William Frame, Craighall, Larkhall; 2. Hector Munro, gardener to Thomas Allan, Esq., Maryhill; 3. Jas. Heron, gardener to Sir W. Stirling Maxwell of Pollok."

extract from "The Gardener V3", by William Thomson

Title The Gardener V3
Author William Thomson
Publisher William Blackwood And Sons
Year 1869
Copyright 1869, William Blackwood And Sons

http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/Gardener-3/The-Glasgow-And-West-Of-Scotland-Horticultural-Society.html

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 09 17:41 GMT (UK) »
You have probably seen this - but this may be of interest but the dates may be too early???

"Twenty-four pods Peas - 1. William Frame, Craighall, Larkhall; 2. Hector Munro, gardener to Thomas Allan, Esq., Maryhill; 3. Jas. Heron, gardener to Sir W. Stirling Maxwell of Pollok."

extract from "The Gardener V3", by William Thomson

Title The Gardener V3
Author William Thomson
Publisher William Blackwood And Sons
Year 1869
Copyright 1869, William Blackwood And Sons

http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/Gardener-3/The-Glasgow-And-West-Of-Scotland-Horticultural-Society.html

No I hadnt seen this thank you...does Jas Heron = James Heron??

Also really interesting is the fact that the Heron`s appear to come from Blairgowrie, Perthshire and Sir Stirlin Maxwell was an MP for Perthshire for some years so I wonder if that`s where and why James Heron became Head Gardener at Pollok House home of Sir Mawell........
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I always assume Jas. is short for James, but perhaps one of the more experienced people on the site will confirm it.

I did wonder whether it was perhaps one generation back from the person you were researching. There are formal gardens at Pollock, it may be worthwhile contacting the National Trust and asking them if they have anything in their archives relating to your ancestor if he was the head gardener.

I am trying to rack my brains, as there is another organisation in the west of scotland which works on documenting important and old gardens, but I can't remember what they are called.
Good luck
Murphyz

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 09 21:23 GMT (UK) »
My relative JAMES HERON  was born 1843 Blairgowrie and his father, also James b 1813 was a gardener st Snaigow Gardens near Blairgowrie and went on to other farms in the area. So James 1843 was a gardener in Blairgowrie, Perthshire. By 1870 he was a gardener at Pollok House/ Estate as he married there. He remained there till his death in 1922.
I have wondered why Jmaes b 1843 ended up on the west side of Scotland working and living in Pollokshaw..........maybe Sir Maxwell was the link if he was an MP in Perthshire when James 1843 was living/working there.........
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 09 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Pricey, the Stirling Maxwell's also had a Highland estate, Corrour (now owned by the Rausings) which the laird planted heavily (chairman of the Forestry Commission?) plus rhododendrons etc' maybe your man started there then moved to Pollok, I think there would only be keepers etc' at Corrour in Winter, (very high).....Skoosh.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
There are formal gardens at Pollock, it may be worthwhile contacting the National Trust and asking them if they have anything in their archives relating to your ancestor if he was the head gardener.

Strangely, the house (Pollok House) is the responsibility of the National Trust for Scotland but the gardens are run by and are the responsibility of Glasgow City Council. It may therefore be worthwhile also checking with the Mitchell Library to see if they have had any records passed onto them.