Author Topic: Pollock Gardens near Glasgow  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
Pollock Gardens near Glasgow
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my Great Grandfather (maternal ) James HERON was a gardener at Pollock Gardens near to Glasgow and at 1901 he was living with his family in Pollock Stables.
Any information about Pollock Gardens would be most welcome.
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pollock Gardens near Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
This Might Help

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Parks_gardens/pollokcountrypark.htm

Sybil
Thanks for the above..I was hoping for any local information / history about the place...wondering if they kept records of employees etc.......
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

damnonii

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, Pollok Eastate was left to the City of Glasgow by the Maxwell's and Pollok House is now a museum.  Although it's been a while since I've visited, I remember photos of the gardening staff and all of the state records will survive.  The house is in the care of the national trust for Scotland but I'm not sure who you would contact, can't find much on their website.  It looks like East Renfrewshire has some records e.g. see http://www.rootschat.com/links/065c/ and your best bet might be to contact the local Historian Amanda Robb, based in Giffnock Library, for advice.  her email is Amanda.Robb@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

On a sad note - There are 4 Herons on the Pollok House War Memorial, 2 were killed (the memorial is unusual in that in commemorates all who served not just those killed).  There are photographs here
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=2532

Thomas Allan Heron was the son of Mrs Eleanor E. Heron, the Gardens, Pollok House
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=481618

William Frederick Heron was the son of Mr and Mrs James Heron, the Gardens. 
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=112818

edit, yes just spotted your other post and the 1901 census info so they were 4 brothers, the sons of James.

On the other thread you wrote
her Great Uncle was called James HERON who was a pilot ( and featured in a book apparently.....)
Is it possible they have confused him with William Frederick who was in the RAF?  According to the memorial James was in the Kings Own Scottish Borderers.

another edit - knew I knew the names, they're also commemorated on Pollokshaws war memorial which I've went through the newspaper for.  http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic2755.html

this is William Frederick's note.  There's no entry for Thomas though.
SCOTSMAN – 18/3/1919 p.8
“Lt. William F. Heron, Royal Air Force, who has been accidentally killed at Cairo, was a son of Mr James Heron, head gardener to Sir John Stirling Maxwell Bart., Pollok House, Pollokshaws, and of Mrs Heron. On the outbreak of war, when he was an apprentice with Messrs Stewart & Mackenzie, engineers, Riverford Road, Pollokshaws, he was called up to the Glasgow Yeomanry. Lt. Heron, who served in the Gallipoli campaign, was 25 years of age.”

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 09 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for everybody who has replied...absolutely fascinating and really takes me forward....waiting for further info from my auntie to firm up details...but thanks to all of you   :)
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pricey4848,
If go into Google earth  www.googleearth.com and type in Pollock estate you can get a view from space,regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
The main memorial to the fallen of WW1 is outside of the estate grounds and immediately outside the old Pollokshaws Burgh hall on Pollokshaws Road
 (There are approximately 400 names inscribed there).

On a recent visit to the House I was informed by the National Trust staff there that there are no known surviving records of the estate staff.

Given your dates it is likely that your ancestor and mine worked alongside one another - My Great grandfather worked in the estate gardens where in some accident he contracted blood poisoning and died in 1899 at the age of 23.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 May 09 19:23 BST (UK) »