Author Topic: St Brides Fleet Street 1810 marriage look up please  (Read 5125 times)

Online jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Brides Fleet Street 1810 marriage look up please
« on: Friday 24 April 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
Ages ago I was given information by a contact that a George Waters married an Elizabeth Nash at St Brides Fleet Street 17 Jul 1810. A couple of people have very kindly confirmed that there is a marriage in St Brides listed on Pallots ( no date save 1810) and IGI.

However I was also told that the entry on the PRs for the marriage said that Elizabeth was born in Monken Hadley and her parents were Thomas Nash and Susannah nee Pickton.  This would tie in with the children of George and Elizabeth who were subsequently born in Monken Hadley, but having said that Elizabeth Nash is not an uncommon name and I wonder if anyone with access to the PRs for St Brides can just confirm the additional details I have been given. I have never come across a PR for a marraige with both parents being named so wonder if this is just conjecture ???

Many thanks
Jackie  ;)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Brides Fleet Street 1810 marriage look up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Pallots marriage index, indexes the parish of residence from the marriage registry (3 weeks prior to the marriage constitutes residency) if it differs from the parish the couple married in. There is nothing in the index to indicate a different parish for either of these two people. English parish registers do not state place of births just residency.

English parish registers before civil registration in 1837 do not give information about parents (and then only father's information) though of course the witnesses could be Elizabeth's parents (though there relationship wouldn't be stated).

This is the sort of information given in a marriage register in 1810.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/7marpre1837.htm

There is no indication in the Pallots index that the marriage was by licence or that Elizabeth was under age and would need permission to marry. Even so permission would be from her father - there would be no reason to name her mother.

Does Elizabeth Waters age at death correspond to the baptism of Elizabeth Nash? Do any of the full names of the children include the name Nash or any other surname?

The registers of St Bride's Fleet Street  are held at the Guildhall library.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Valda, yes that was what I was a bit concerned about - all the "extra information" as I have never seen it in other PRs of the period but just wondered if St Brides might have something additional

The details do to some extent add up. Elizabeth says on the Censuses that she is born in Enfield which is not far from Monken Hadley in c1791. There is an extracted entry for a  baptism in Monken Hadley for an Elizabeth Nash in 30 Jul 1791 born 7 Jul 1791 to parents Thomas Nash and Susannah. But it would mean that she married at 19. But there are no Nash surnames within the childrens names and neither do the names Thomas or Susannah appear. There are at least 9 children of which I am aware with the first child Henry being born in Monken Hadley some 5 months after this marriage ( Dec 1810)

Elizabeth dies 1877 aged 86 which again adds up.

It just seems strange that they should marry outside a parish where Elizabeth seems to have strong connections and as George is a gardener from Wiltshire it isnt his parish either by the looks of things

Oh well a bit of a mystery  ???

Thanks
Jackie  :D

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth was very likely working as a servant in London and George had moved to London for work. After her marriage Elizabeth moved back to the area where she was born and had family, George finding work where he could. Enfield isn't Monken Hadley. They are about 6 miles apart. Elizabeth consistently gives Enfield on the censuses as her place of birth but that is the place given for her daughters who appear with her on the 1861 and 1871 censuses and their baptisms appear in the Monken Hadley register.

If Elizabeth married at 19 then she married under age. Officially if she stated she married under age then she would need permission to marry. Where you usually find who gave such permission, is in the banns book if that has survived, but it is just possible it was annotated by the side of the marriage entry so it is worth checking  in both the marriage register and the banns book if it exists.

Regards

Valda

Online jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Valda I will do, although I do have a marriage of a 19 year old on another part of my line where there was no licence and no annotation in the marriage and banns book that she had permission to marry under age so they did get away with it ;)
Jackie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Yes Jackie

It is largely hit and miss. It helps if the couple marry where they are known.

Regards

Valda

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Looked this up for you today.

St Bride, Fleet Street.
George WATERS otp batchelor married Elizabeth NASH otp spinster 17 Jul 1810 by banns
both signed their names
witnesses: G JEGLICK?? & Frances KIGHTMAN?

Let me know if you want a copy of the entry.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Bearkat for that, you are most kind. I will send you a pm

Many thanks again
Jackie :D

Offline wornpick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am working on the same family, and have come up against the same problem. The St Brides marriage is perplexing. The witness names are useless, because if you examine the wider entries for the day it is obvious they were 'witnesses of convenience', servicing the requirement to several other couples in sucession. I'm fairly convinced this was a marriage without parental blessing, deliberately conducted away from the brides home parish of Monken Hadley.

Family roots and tradition frequently result in baptism, marriage and burial taking place at the 'old family church' (if within reasonable distance), regardless of where the child may have been born. I see this on many many occasions. The Nash family were a fairly old Hadley family, and it is quite feasible that Thomas and Susannah moved to Enfield where Elizabeth was born. At the time of her christening there were still several other Nash family members living in Hadley.