Author Topic: St Brides Fleet Street 1810 marriage look up please  (Read 5128 times)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Brides Fleet Street 1810 marriage look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wornpick, nice to hear from you ;)

Can I ask where your line fits in please. Mine is through George and Elizabeths daughter Lydia Louisa who then goes on to have a number of illegitimate children in Lowestoft. Would love to know your connection
Cheers
Jackie ;)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline wornpick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie - we have actually been in touch before, particularly regarding Lydia Louisa and the 'Lowestoft years'. I think it was you that sent me the death records.
I am decended from George 'the younger', one of the boys born at Downe in Kent - my great great grandfather. The one who went to Paris. Have actually developed the detail of my tree for him quite extensively over on Ancestry.co.uk.
Will invite you to 'play' with the Ancestry tree.
Regards - Andy Waters

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Andy, yes of course, I didn't recognise your name on Rootschat ;D ;D

Glad to hear your Ancestry Tree is coming along well

You didnt get any further back with the Waters side in Wilstshire did you by any chance?
Jackie :D

Offline wornpick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Re: Wiltshire - not really - still puzzling over the George and Mary Ann marriage. But am leaning more (on instinct) towards Mary Ann Dixon. In regard to George and Elizabeth in Middlesex and Kent: I have pretty much established an outline story of events. George was not originally a gardener, but a labourer. The Monken Hadley/Enfield period centred on Enfield Chase and the common fields. All the MH baptisms of the first children state Enfield as the abode. Around 1819 George was given the position of steward or bailiff at Down Hall, Downe, Kent. His employer was Sir John Johnson, a retired East India Company Officer. The second batch of children were born there, as you know. In 1836 Johnson prepared to sell Down Hall, before emigrating to Canada the following year. He laid off staff, including George, who had no option but to return to Enfield with his family. I believe that George had rights of common there. However, by the time of the 1841 Census much of the commons was sold off for development, and George was once again jobless.
I dont know if you are aware of 'Paris' George's book, published in 1864? 'Indian Gleanings and thoughts of the Past'. This has frequently been wrongly attributed to another George Waters who was an army surgeon, but it is definately my gt gt grandfather.  (Even got his signature on the front, beneath a photographic portrait!) In his book, George makes several references to his family, and to Enfield Chase and Downe. He refers to his older brother Charles, and to his favorite sister Matilda ('Tilley') who died aged eighteen. Its an awesome read, and confirms many loose ends in my own research into his life. The book is available for free download on Google Books.

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy for that information. It certainly explains the travelling around that George did. I will definitely look up that book ;D

Jackie ;)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I too am having problems. I have banns read at St Brides Fleet St London City in 1875 between Andrew Young & Elizabeth Young (cousins?)

Also have their daughter's  birth certificate which names Mother as Elizabeth Young formerley Young, father Andrew so no indication that they had diferent names.

I cannot find this marriage on eiher Anc, Find my past or Family Search.

Would somebody do a look up please if they have any other sources. I am mystified by this.
Thanks Gaynori