Author Topic: Re: Robinson, Tipperary  (Read 3435 times)

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson, Tipperary
« on: Saturday 25 April 09 06:15 BST (UK) »
John Robinson came to Australia ? and his brother Benjamin came in 1855.  Am trying to trace their parents, Michael Robinson and Helen (Ellen) Ralph.  John was born abt. 1834 in Borrisokane/Cloughjordan area, Tipperary.
Benjamin born abt. 1837, same area,  married in Australia Elizabeth Allen daughter of William Henry Allen and Maria Hodgins - parents both born at Cloughjordan.
Any help would be wonderful.
Thankyou... Lesley

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
 I know it's a while ago but did you get any information?
Maggsie

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 December 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggsie,  sorry about the delay but I have only just come across your comment and no I did not get any replies.  Thanks Lesley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 December 19 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 December 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »

Borrisokane  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0765   if they were R.C.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 December 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 December 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley, I will gather the info for you.

We really need to know if your John is from the same family of Augustus De Lepare Robinson death in 1889, listed in the link Hallmark gave you.
If this is the case then they originated in Berwick upon Tweed in England, very early in the 1600's!
I was visiting a Castle that had been extended now called a house where Augustus lived, his parents lived further into Cloughjordan at Ballynavin Castle/House, my Grandfather worked on the Estate in the late 1920's. The owner of the house asked me to research the name over the Arch and the year.
I always thought the castle was the building on the right as you entered the drive, it seems that is older and was a Hall House. I have loads of info on that family. We will see if you are related to them.
Maggsie

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 December 19 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for trying to help me with my John Robinson.  I was lead to believe that he was protestant.  He had 11 children all born in Borrisokane, the last being a girl and she was baptised in Kilbarron Church which led to believe was burnt down.  Their only daughter said that the same snow was on the road for both funerals (her parents) and that her father, Michael died of grief 3 months after his wife, Ellen. I worked it out it would have to have been around 1856.  Ellen died suddenly, from a stroke, while milking a pet cow. Ellen Ralph was believed to have had 4 sisters, one married a Dagg, another Hodgins, another Armitage, another an englishmen by the name of Singleton.  I don't know any christian names. One or two of them could have gone to America.  Ellen was known as Ellen Ralph of Ralphmont.  Michael could also beforehand come from Galway.  All this is being taken from a letter written back in the mid 1900s.  With Michael there is reported to be a castle somewhere Stangarry/Shangarry/Stanbally/Shangally Castle Co. Galway. Also mentions their house is now called either the  "Red House" or "The Big House" and she saw it once at a distance and she stated that in her Grannie's day (who was the only daughter) it was the "Long Lane House".
Also mentions Sir Robert McKenzie & Sir Michael McKenzie (Scotch Baronets) and their sister Hon. Marion Monica McKensie and that Michael Robinson comes down from one of them.  (I have researched and found nothing)  I can tell more but feel taking up too much of everyone's time. Sorry if disjointed. Lesley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 December 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Robinson (Co Tipperary) - The Robinson family were settled in the Ballingarry locality of county Tipperary from the mid 17th century. Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904) records the marriage in 1712 of Thomas Stoney and Sarah, sister of General Andrew Robinson and granddaughter of George Robinson, a Cromwellian officer, who settled at Knockshigowna, parish of Ballingarry. In February 1851 the Tinnakilly estate, barony of Lower Ormond, of the assignee of Arthur Robinson, a bankrupt, amounting to 1,602 acres, was advertised for sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Ellen and John Robinson both held land in Ballingarry parish, while Louisa, Augustus and Ruth Robinson and the Reverend Robinson held land in the parish of Modreeny. In the 1870s Hartstronge/Hartstonge Robinson of Kingstown owned 596 acres, Ellen Robinson of Loran Park owned 353 acres, Robert Robinson of Ballynavin, Borrisokane owned 286 acres and Thomas S.D. Robinson of Riversdale owned 174 acres in county Tipperary. Hartstonge Robinson was the second son of Christopher Robinson of Woodlawn, county Cavan as recorded in the ''King's Inns Admissions Papers''. The same source records Arthur Robinson eldest son of Robert Robinson of Tinakelly, county Tipperary. Reverend Robert de Lapere Croasdaile Robinson was rector of Ballingarry. He was born in 1805 and died in 1870 at Ballynavin Castle,

see http://www.genealogy.kirkpatrickaustralian.com/TNG/ahnentafel.php?personID=I6577&tree=TKG&parentset=0&generations=8.

source  http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/family-show.jsp?id=3476