Author Topic: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone  (Read 15359 times)

Offline Housty72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 February 17 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi matchett, I have only just discovered this thread and really impressed with everything I have read. I have only just started looking in earnest into my direct ancestors and Ross Houston was my third great grandfather. Interestingly, the Dublin surgeon you mentioned would have been my grandfather James (Jim) Houston. He is still around, and i will make sure to ask if he remembers anything about an old key, although he is pushing 93yo, his memory is pretty good!
Also, was wondering whether there was any information regarding Ross Houston's wife or parents, all I know of him is that he had my 2 time great grandfather James Houston approx 1837 in Tyrone, and it was he that took this arm of the family south to Dublin.
Many thanks for the info thus far!

Mark Houston

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 February 17 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Good to hear there are Houstons still running around!

There is a book on the Houstons which I saw at the Centre for Migration studies at the Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh. I can't remember the name of it but if you ring them, they will be able to tell you. I think it may be something like The Life of Christopher Houston and his Family. It gives the whole story of these Houstons, from the time their original ancestor came across on an open boat from Gallloway in Scotland on through. The people at the Centre will be only too pleased to talk to you. If you are ever up in Tyrone, please give me a shout and I can show you the old homesteads which I think you will find interesting. Presbyterian Church records for Ballynahatty or Fintona Churches would be your best bet for individual ancestors (if they still are available at the Public Record Office in Belfast).

Anything else, give me a shout.

Thanks

Keith Hamilton (Matchett)
Ballynahatty

Offline Housty72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 February 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
many thanks for the quick reply!
I will deffo see if I can source that book, and whenever I find myself in that part of the country I will make sure to let you know as it would be great to get an idea of the area where they lived, have already had a look on Google earth at Edergole Upper and as you can imagine I hadn't a clue what I was looking at!!!
It's incredibly good of you to offer to show me the around, and I hope to take you up on that sometime in the near future.

All the best,
Mark

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Grand job Mark!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The Rogers were descendants of the Scottish Presbyterian John Knox.

I would be interested to see that family tree to see the connection to the ROGERS family.

John KNOX is my 10th great grandfather.

I am a descendant of John KNOX from my ggggrandmother Elizabeth WELSH 1802-1839, granddaughter of the Rev Andrew WELSH c1710-1781 who was the Presbyterian minister at Ardstraw from 1733-1779 and the ggggrandson of John KNOX 1505-1572 and Margaret STEWART . John's dau Elizabeth KNOX 1568-c1612 married the Reverend John WELSH in 1594.

Elizabeth WELSH married my ggggrandfather Andrew JACK 1783-1838, in 1827 at Ardstraw.  Andrew was the son of John JACK 1742-1832, a linen merchant of Cappagh and Olivia RODGERS of Cavinacaw near Omagh.  I wonder if this is the connection of the RODGERS family as descendants of John KNOX?

Many of the JACK family of Magheracolton, Ardstraw are buried in the WELSH/JACK vault in the Old Ardstraw graveyard.

I would be interested in any information about the ROGERS/RODGERS family.

Many of the families mentioned in this thread are in my tree.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 July 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I think the Doctor was an Alexander .Fleming left this estate to the Alexanders, one being Francis from Dublin & his son was a Doctor. My line is James Alexander ( My Grandfather) who lived in Melbourne, Australia, his parents were Thomas Alexander & Sarah Jane Houston, sister of Fleming
Regards
Kim Melbourne, Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 July 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Kim my research differs from

Mary who married a Robert GAULT at Sherrald in 1854

Mary OSBORNE dau of John OSBORNE, married Robert Gante SHERRARD son of James SHERRARD, on 12 Apr 1854, Dromore, Co Tyrone.

On the 1901 census Mary is a widow living with her nieces Sarah and Charlotte OSBORNE at Main Street, Dromore.  There is an error with her age at 60 on the census as she was 72 on her death registration in 1903.  She died from apoplexy, 8 days and the informant was Sarah OSBORNE, niece, present at her death.

She died 12 Sep 1903 Dromore, Co Tyrone and a probate of her will was granted at Londonderry on 26 Nov 1903 to John H ALEXANDER, Clerk of Petty Sessions.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 July 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cando for the correction
Regards
Kim