Author Topic: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone  (Read 15370 times)

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 June 09 01:19 BST (UK) »
Me again, does your neighbour remember how old the Dr was,just wondering if he was still alive?How lucky was he to have a key to the old farm,hope he treasured it.

Kim

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 June 09 01:24 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the Dr was ,of medicine or Dentistry?

Kim

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 June 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Matchett,

I have sent you a personal message via pm

Regards

Kim

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
King Houston was another relation of the Houstons of Ballynahatty and Edergole. He lived at Letfern, near Seskinore Co Tyrone and was a solicitor in Omagh. He  is buried at Clogherney Presbyterian Church near Beragh, Co Tyrone. He died in the early years of the 20th Century.

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Have found that John Houston born 1788 wife was Ann OSBORNE born 1800,but have been unable to find her line.

Anne had a brother John of mossfield & married Mary Alexander daughter of Thomas & Mary Skelton,they had 2 children
Mary who married a Robert GAULT at Sherrald in 1854
&
Sarah(Sally) who married Archibald OSBORNE of Dernaseer 1847(her parents were Arch & Isabella King)
Their children were Sarah 1856-1922
                               Charlotte 1889-1944
                                Annie
                                Isabella who married Archibald OSBORNE of Mullaghmore
                                Alexander Marshal,who died 1922 in Australia
                                George
                                4 sons
                                 2 daughters
as you can see they are all inter twined

Any help greatly appreciated

Kim

Offline Fiona Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone - Rachel Houston sampler
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 October 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My name is Fiona McClean and I work at the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh.

We recently acquired a sampler with embroidered lettering 'Rachel Houston, Omagh 1835'. We would love to be find out who Rachel was. I notice you mention a Rachel Houston of Lifford and Bundoran. Could she have been educated in Omagh or lived there for a time? Or do you know of any Rachel Houstons in the Ballynahatty connection?

Kind regards
Fiona

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Houstons lived at Ballynahatty and Edergole outside Omagh from the early 19th century until the 1920's. I have little direct information regarding specific members but I know they were well connected with the Presbyterian Church. They attended Ballynahatty Presbyterian Church. You may be able to find records relating to Rachel Houston in those Church records. They were also connected to Feenan, Fintona and Lifford, Donegal (all the same outfit as far as I know). I don't have any other information on Rachel but will double check. I wouldn't be sure if her maiden name was Houston or she married one of the Houstons. Ballynahatty Presbyterian Church records should reveal this (if they can be accessed!).

Thanks

Offline Fiona Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi matchett,
Thank you very much for your speedy reply, and for the tip to look at Ballynahatty Church records.

The 1901 Census of Ireland lists a Rachel Houston living in Bundoran, Presbyterian, aged 76, making her income from land and houses, not married, born in Omagh, County Tyrone. If this is the same Rachel Houston, she would have been 10 when she made the sampler which would fit.

Out of interest, we also have a letter in our collection dated 19th March 1821 from Jacob Rodgers, Philadephia to Ross Huston [Houston?], Omagh. (link to transcription below) Jacob writes to Ross about how visiting Ross's sister. If it is the Ross within your family, do you know of any emigration stories within that generation?

http://nmni.com/uafp/Collections/Emigration/Letter-from-Philadelphia-to-Omagh,-County-Tyrone

Off to enquire about Church records!

Many thanks again for your help
Fiona

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 October 16 08:27 BST (UK) »
Interesting! The Rogers family lived at Edergole. The poetess Vincentia Rogers was one of them (a Presbyterian with an interest in Gaelic and with nationalist sentiment!). The Houstons bought or inherited their farm (originating from Feenan, Fintona and before that in the Castlederg area and Galloway in Scotland). The Rogers were descendants of the Scottish Presbyterian John Knox. I have a stack of stories about the Houstons but few regarding emigration. If you work in the Folk Park I could call and see you and show you the information I have. I work in Omagh Academy!