Author Topic: APPLEFORD family  (Read 7049 times)

Offline terryjwatts

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
APPLEFORD family
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Is there any connection between the Applford and Watts families? EDWARD WATTS (Husbandman) of Axford/Ramsbury died in 1623. His administration bond contains the name Applford several times and an EDWARD APPLFORD is witness to his inventory.

Wind forward 200 odd years and I have a THOMAS APPLFORD WATTS baptised 30th January 1842 at Marborough, mothers name CHARLOTTE ?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: APPLEFORD family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
I take an interest in any appearance of my own family names  so you may be interested to know that in Broad Blunsdon churchyard there is a stone recording Hannah Appleford died 12 Dec.1878 aged 84 and her son James died 18 June 1878 aged 56. He was from Gorse Hill,  Swindon.
Toby.

Offline Sotonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hannah was Hannah Eatwell who was born in Lambourn in about 1706. Her husband was Richrd Appleford who was one of my 3x great grandfather's brothers.

James Appleford was born in Batydon and was a blacksmith who worked in various shipyards such that the family travelled to Portsmouth and to Chatham to live with his wife returning to live in Wiltshire with her sister in law on the death of her husband.

Jame's descendants included several teachers and one that I got to know very well which was John who was an aeronautical engineer at Boscombe Down.

He and I spent time together establishing that his Richard and my Thomas were in fact the children of John Appleford and Mary Wentworth.

Alexander, Appleford, Bolshire, Brant, Campbell, Clarage/Claridge, Coates, Collyer, Cram, Deacle, Giles, Hiscock, Hoare, Keen, Mayor, Rixon, Simms, Stockwell, Tarrant, Taylor, Turner, Waters, Wheeler, Wilson

Offline cello

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »

He and I spent time together establishing that his Richard and my Thomas were in fact the children of John Appleford and Mary Wentworth.

I am researching the Wentworth family from Little Bedwyn and wonder if you have any further information on Mary Wentworth?  Who her parents were or where she came from?

Kind regards
CW
White - South Marston (WILTS), Woolstone (BERKS)
Hathrill - Fernham (BERKS)
Wentworth - Little Bedwyn (WILTS), Uffington (BERKS)
Richings - Wotton-Under-Edge (GLOC)
de Jager - Groningen
de Jonge - Groningen
Smid - Groningen, Eindhoven
Werkhoven - Eindhoven

Offline Sotonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Mary Wentworth was from lambourn where she was baptised in 1754 the daughter of Robert Wentworth and Margaret Heath. She had three siblings Sarah, Ann and Robert.

Winkworth and Wentworth I have found to be synonmous as no doubt the vicar struggle with strong Wiltshire/Berkshire rural accents.
Alexander, Appleford, Bolshire, Brant, Campbell, Clarage/Claridge, Coates, Collyer, Cram, Deacle, Giles, Hiscock, Hoare, Keen, Mayor, Rixon, Simms, Stockwell, Tarrant, Taylor, Turner, Waters, Wheeler, Wilson

Offline cello

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  I don't have any Robert Wentworths in my tree.

The variations I have found so far of Wentworth are:- Wintworth, Winkworth, Winkeworth and Wynckworth.  I am descended from Aldome/Aldame/Adam Wynckworth/Winkeworth born about 1590 in Fyfield, Wilts, then Richard, Stephen, Stephen, John, Joseph, John, etc.

Kind regards
CW
White - South Marston (WILTS), Woolstone (BERKS)
Hathrill - Fernham (BERKS)
Wentworth - Little Bedwyn (WILTS), Uffington (BERKS)
Richings - Wotton-Under-Edge (GLOC)
de Jager - Groningen
de Jonge - Groningen
Smid - Groningen, Eindhoven
Werkhoven - Eindhoven

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Has any progress been made on the link between Applefords and Watts? My own Appleford ancestors in Ramsbury / Axford go back to an Edward Appleford, who died there in 1658, but who was, I think, born in Titchfield, Hampshire (around 1590). Unfortunately I do not know the name of his wife, but he had two sons, Thomas and Edward, in the 1630s / 40s.
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline Madwith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I too am looking at the Appleford family, in particular Francis Appleford of Ogbourne St Andrew who married Elizabeth White in 1738.  A signatory on his marriage licence was Stephen Appleford.

I suspect a link with an Edward Appleford, a wheeler from Ramsbury and wonder if anyone has any further information on this family?

Regards
Madwith

Offline lisabyrtt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a connection between APPLEFORD & WOOLLS Family??
I have Thomas APPLEFORD WOOLLS - He is the 1st Vicar of Fareham. I would love to know where he comes from.

All I have is "Nephew of Thomas Aubrey & Mr Appleford" Husband of Elizabeth Sclater.
He has 2 Brothers Edward & John  and 2 Sisters Nanny & Mary.
Nanny & Mary (Woolls) Lived with Uncle Aubrey next to the red Lion pub in  Farham

I also have a "WOOLLS of Alresford" who is he??
All I have on him is Brother in Law of Thomas Aubrey & Mr Appleford
Also has a niece Charlotte

Thomas Aubrey would be a Woolls

Would be early/mid 1700's

Any info much appreciated
Lisa x