Author Topic: Meakin/Meekin, Bollington  (Read 5792 times)

Offline jillm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meakin/Meekin, Bollington
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
We are searching for birth information on Adam Meakin/Meekin born 1808 in Bollington in order to find his parents names.

He appeared in all censuses, still living in Bollington until he died in 1878.

Since we live on the West coast of Canada, we are unable to visit and do any searches on parish records other than those on the internet. We would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. The possible parishes may include Bollington, Prestbury or even Macclesfield.

Thank you.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meakin/Meekin, Bollington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill welcome to Rootschat ;D

On the whole of the Family search I.G.I there wasn't a single Adam Meakin when i entered Cheshire.So I entered County not known,It came up with
Adam Uriah Bryant Meakin C 5th May Sandbach Cheshire 1830 Father George Meakin Mother Elizabeth.Could he be connected in anyway.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill

Do you have a marriage for Adam and Lydia?  If so where were they married?  I can't find a marriage for them.

I found a Joseph Meekin on the 1841 living in Water Street Bollington.  He was aged 25 and also a stone mason.  His wife was Elizabeth and they had a son Thomas 8 mths.

He could have been Adam's brother.

If they were both born in Bollington I should think your best bet is St. Peters Prestbury parish records for a christening.  Hopefully some kind person will be willing to look for you.

Kind regards
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline jillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Su:
Great to hear from you and thanks for your suggestions.  Adam Meekin is proving quite a challenge.  There is a marriage of an Adam Makin in Stockport 1833 to a Lydia Austin.  1851 census shows Adam's wife is Lydia from Wetton, Staffs.  I am hoping this is the right one as I have started following Lydia's parents back in Staffs.  I think it's quite likely that the Thomas Meekin in 1851 is Adam's brother.  Adam and Lydia's first born son is named Thomas.  I wouldn't be surprised if Adam's father was born away from Bollington.  There are a lot of Meekins/Meakins in Staffordshire but without Adam's father's name I can't get going.  Obviously we need to see the Prestbury parish birth records to find Adam's parents but we've been totally unsuccessful in finding these. Any offers by anyone for lookup would be welcome.

Regards

Jill

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
He's buried at Bollington - died July 19 1878 aged 69 & is buried with Lydia (April 14 1887 73) their son Thomas (June 9 1853 15) and (no relationship stated) Nancy Meakin who died October 11 1872 aged 84. Nancy looks the right date to be his mother, but as there's nothing stated?

There are two other Meakin transcriptions for Bollington:

Jane (d October 5 1923 age 72) who is with Mary Annie Mason (b December 2 1857 d October 14 1930)

and

Sarah (d November 1 1929 age 75)

None of the Bollington churches were built at the time of Adam's birth, so if Bollington was his birth place & he was baptised near the time Prestbury was the parish church.

Prestbury doesn't have many records online - I understand the original records are still at the parish, though there are films at Cheshire RO & elsewhere - you may be able to order them at a local LDS Family History Centre if there is one in your area. Finally there is a Parish Archivist - details on the parish website at
http://www.stpetersprestbury.org.uk/

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Jill did you have a look at the ones i mentioned on the I.G.I

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline jillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 09 04:04 BST (UK) »
Celia - That Adam in Sandbach is not connected at all.  Thanks for trying.

Jill

Offline jillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 May 09 04:23 BST (UK) »
mshrmh - Those Meakin transcriptions in Bollington were an enormous help.  Now I have all Adam's siblings and have followed them down.  Nancy is his mother and his father is Thomas Meekin b 1787.  He appears in 1841 as "not born in county" and was dead before the 1851 census.  So I am still looking for his birthplace.  Where did you find those transcriptions?
Thanks for your help.
Jill

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 May 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
Glad I was able to help.

I see you're already considering Staffs for Thomas senior's birthplace - I have family that repeatedly "border hop" between Cheshire & Staffs, so I'd find that very plausible. Though as you say it's a fairly common name (also related to Meachin, Machin etc though they're often pronounced more as "chin" than "kin") so this one could be hard.

Best wishes