Author Topic: Tracing More Recent Family  (Read 1036 times)

Offline wondawend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing More Recent Family
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am definitely a beginner and in need of guidance.  Can anyone tell me how I trace relatives after 1901 census.  I have lost touch with my grandmother's family 'Manley'.  I have, with help, got back to 1861 but I would like to try and find living relatives.  My mum would love to know about her mothers family (she is now 80) and I really want to try and find a living relative and maybe even arrange a meeting for her.  The Manley family were living in Liverpool in 1901.  To find later Manleys do I have to go to the Liverpool records office?   I am in Lincolnshire so it will be a bit of a hike.
I am also having difficulty finding marriages online.  How can I pin down marriages which occurred between censuses with a possible nine year gap?  Are listing on line complete?
Any help very gratefully received.
Wendy

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing More Recent Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 16:25 GMT (UK) »
1837online is a complete index of births marriages and deaths online - but you have to pay to view each page of the index so it can mount up a bit if you just want to trawl through. Might be best to take a day trip to Family Records in Angel Islington London and do it manually.
FreeBMD is usefull - it has some records, but is not complete, but is free!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wondawend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 05 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  Does the London office hold all the countries info on birth marriage and death?  What about Wales?  Told you I was a beginner!
Wendy

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you are trying to find living relatives,try putting the info you know on Genes Reunited.
good luck
Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 05 09:38 GMT (UK) »

They hold the indexes of all Births Marriages and Deaths registered in England and Wales since Civil registration became law in 1837. They are only indexes - to see the actual certificates you have to order them and, sadly, pay (about £7).
Indexes are in alphabetical order within 'quarters' of the years. So there would be one for Jan-Mar 1837, then Apr-Jun 1837, Jul-Sep 1837 and Oct -Dec 1837, and then the same for every year up to about 2003.
So, for example, if you have a Manley,aged 21 and single in 1901, and you wonder if they marry, you would plough through each quarter from 1901 onwards looking for the right name and area. Unusual names might be obvious, with popular ones you might end up with several possibilities. The same principle applies to births and deaths. Births will give the mother's maiden name, and deaths the age at death which will help you narrow down the right one.
Hope this is of help.
Liz
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wondawend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 February 05 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your advice everyone.  I guess I need to visit the London office!!
Will also try the Genes Reunited tack.
It's a real shame that 'work' get's in the way of all this detective activity.
Thanks again
Wendy