Author Topic: ROWE Family Henley & Chelmondiston  (Read 3269 times)

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ROWE Family Henley & Chelmondiston
« on: Tuesday 28 April 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a family relationship between the Rowes in Chelmondiston [1841 census onwards] with the Rowe families in Henley [also Grundisburgh and probably Witnesham]. I am looking for the marriage in Henley of John Rowe to Martha, their first child, according to the LDS, was born in 1755. Any clues to John's parentage would be most welcome.
Are there any BMD transcriptions available for Henley? I can see that I am going to need them and cannot get to the SRO in Ipswich. I have found some entries on Find My Past and LDS but trying to work out who was born to whom and when is driving me mad. The fact that each generation has the same names is also a nightmare.
Thank you.
Suffolk: Rowe, Scarfe, Brookes, Rands, Hart, Fuller, Buckle
Cornwall: Lobb, Palmer, Mutton, Burden, Veal
Devon: Haddy, Hayman, Burgoyne, Pinhey, Bond, Dayman, May
Ireland: Sheeran, Noone, Murray, Daly, Rooney, O'Frill, Friel, Rigney.
Australia. NSW: Benjamin Rowe

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rowe, Henley and Chelmondiston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
I know this is of very little help but IGI gives date of marriage of John Rowe to Martha as 1754 and the date of Martha's birth as 1735 (Henley)

Regards   Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rowe, Henley and Chelmondiston
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had seen those dates too but was hoping someone might have access to the parish registers.
Regards
judy

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: ROWE Family Henley & Chelmondiston
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 09 14:43 BST (UK) »

Are there any BMD transcriptions available for Henley? I can see that I am going to need them and cannot get to the SRO in Ipswich.

Hi Judy

Most of the Suffolk's Anglican PRs are available for sale from the SRO on microfiche including Henley St Peter 1559-1900 and Chelmondiston St Andrew 1727-1900 .  You do not need to order all the available years, just those that you are interested in.  If you do not own a microfiche viewer you should be able to use one at your local library.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,129613.0.html

To copy Chelmondiston's PR requires the permission of the current incumbent.  The SRO site has a form that you can download to help with this.  Alternatively, the LDS have transcribed both Henley and Chelmondiston PRs on to film.  These can be hired and viewed at any LDS Family History Centre worldwide.  You may get lucky though and someone who owns these records or who is visiting the SRO may be able to help.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rick for your very comprehensive reply. There is a lot to keep me busy there.
So far I have managed to work out that every generation called their sons Joseph, William and John and the daughters Mary and Martha depending on their place in age. Confusing to say the least especially if each one of the Josephs, Williams and Johns then called their sons Joseph, William and John. I've heard of family naming patterns but this is ridiculous!!  If you hear someone tearing their hair out - it will be me.
Thanks again
Regards
Judy

Offline smoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Are you still researching the Rowes at Henley and Chelmondiston as I am related to them, if you want some info I have quite alot my 5xgt grandmother was Ann Rowe the dau of John & Martha, I live not far from one of the suffolk records offices so have been able to do quite alot of research, also at Henley near Ipswich there is a lovely old gravestone for John Rowe a son of John and Martha which I have photographed regards Tessa

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessa

Thanks for your message.  I've had a break from going 'backwards' with the Roes/Rowes for a while but am still very interested to find out more. I've been researching Benjamin Rowe born c 1834 in Chelmondiston son of Martha Rowe. He emigrated to Australia and died in New South Wales in 1880. I've been doing friends trees too.
I got stuck with John and Martha and their dates. I am descended from one of their sons, probably William. I have a copy of the will of their son John [1768-1850]who moved to Grundisburgh and left money to William, Mary and Martha Rowe - nephew and nieces, in Chelmondiston.  I have transcribed it so can send it to you. Other money was left to his children by his housekeeper.
I would love to see the photo of the gravestone please. It makes people very real. If you message me I'll send you my email address. 
I have photos of my great grandfather John Rowe and his sister Selina and their family.  I do wish they hadn't called everyone John or William - I get very confused in the generations.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Judy

Offline smoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy nice to hear back from you, as i said I am related to John and Martha's second eldest daughter Ann she married my 5x gt grandfather Robert Mortimer they had six children and then Ann had two more illegitimate children after Robert died an unknown man possibly a farmer with the surname Moss
my 4xt gt grandfather was William Mortimer a publican in Ipswich, now this is where it gets a bit more complicated I am sort of related to John & Martha in a bit of a roundabout way twice once through who I have just told you about and the second by William's second wife her name was Sarah Chapman now she had a sister Ann who was a widow first she was married to a Robert Hazelton (recognize the name ) she was the "housekeeper" of John Rowe brother of Ann and son of John and Martha Rowe, John Rowe and Ann Hazelton had three children Sarah b1831 Woolverstone
, Martha  b 1834 Grundisburgh & Ann b1839 Grundisburgh. John Rowe is buried in Henley churchyard  and Ann Hazelton is buried in the same grave with her sister Sarah who after William Mortimer died remarried a James Mills she outlived him and died in 1885.
Thankyou for the offer of the Will but i already have it I live in Ipswich and spend quite a bit of time in the records office, I was there a couple of days ago  and have managed to find out a bit more info on the Rowes which I can send you in a couple of days when I have sorted it out, my email address is tessa.reeves@ntlworld.com if you want to email me than I can send you the picture of John's gravestone. Hope I haven't confused you but as you said all these names that they keep reusing does complicate things, look forward to hearing from you regards Tessa

Offline Catherine Courageux

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Bonjour
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
Bonjour,

Je suis Française et, lors de recherches sur internet, il y avait un post qui m’intéressait.

J'utilise Google translate pour mes messages avec mes cousins Anglais.
Mon arrière, arrière, arrière grand père décédé en 1850 en France a été enterré à Henley, Suffolk, England et je recherche le lien de parenté avec le couple John et Martha ROWE enterrés dans la même tombe.
Je compte sur votre indulgence.
Cordialement
Catherine

Hello,

I am French and, during research on the internet, there was a post that interested me.

I use Google translate for my messages with my English cousins.
My great, great, great grandfather who died in 1850 in France was buried in Henley, Suffolk, England and I am looking for family ties with the couple John and Martha ROWE buried in the same grave.
I count on your indulgence.
cordially
Catherine