Author Topic: Sweden to England, 1946 Valdis Valdeman Krilovs  (Read 7728 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sweden to England, 1946 Valdis Valdeman Krilovs
« on: Wednesday 29 April 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
I accept there are no passenger lists (or so I think) for passengers from Sweden to London in 1946, but is there any way I can trace my grandad?   He was born 1928 as Valdis Valdeman Krilovs, his father died very shortly after his birth. His mother remarried and he became Valdis or Waldis Swensson.  He was born in a place beginning with 'V' in Sweden (that could be the village, town or district, no-one knows), came to London in 1946 and went back again a few years later. He returned to London c1951 for good, possibly changing his name from Swensson to Krilovs. He died 1981, having destroyed all his I.D.  Naturalization records at Kew is a possibility, but wouldnt there be a 100 year secrecy ruling on them?  I know he attended a boarding school in Stockholm but I dont speak Swedish and dont know if they'd give me records anyway, plus I couldnt translate them...even if I knew where the school is/was. His parents were Aleksander and Annette Krilovs, his father was a naval captain but all avenues have been explored there, and he's untraceable.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to England, 1946
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
It's been a while since we last had contact. I haven't given up. There is one thing though....  I don't think Walter was actually born in Sweden. There are newer databases for births in Sweden upto 1941 and he just isn't there I'm afraid.
Do you have anymore info?

Regards Ian

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 23:21 GMT (UK) »
The surname Krilovs does sound more eastern Baltic, doesn't it? I do know someone here in Australia with the surname Krilov, and their heritage is Russian.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
APOLOGIES for late reply. Much going on and I've just come back to genealogy and this site. Jamcat, helo again and I hope 2016 finds you well. You may have something there. I've scoured the passenger lists and nothing. Even under Waldis and Waldeman, his birthday, and his stepfathers surname Swensson/Swenson. Every variety. Pinefamily: The name Krilovs is Latvian, and Krilov is Russian. I had a DNA test through Ancestry a few months ago and I have a speck of Scandinavian blood but nearly 50% Eastern European...... so he had links to Sweden but certainly Latvia or v nearby...Estonia possibly. He claimed on his marriage cert that he was born in Sweden, and we know he spoke fluent Swedish, his stepfather was Swedish also. He claimed to have gone to boarding school in Stockholm. It's possible that he was born in or near Latvia then went to Sweden as a young child. His natural father (a merchant navy captain dealing in fish) died when Waldis/Valdis/Walter was a child.  Thankyou for replying!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the National Archives at Kew to make sure you cannot get his natualization records?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, giving them all the info I had but theres no trace.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I know it's a long shot, but perhaps contact the Latvian embassy to see if there would be birth records available for that era, and where to contact. They might even be able to help with the language barrier.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I remember you mentioning some time ago that Walter's wife (I think it was) is reluctant in helping out, but if we are going to crack this we need help. If we have Walter's mother's name that would help a lot.

Ian

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Walter's mum was called Annette. Maiden name unknown. He seems to have disposed of his birth cert and ID at some point, presumably after marrying in England in 1956.