Author Topic: Sweden to England, 1946 Valdis Valdeman Krilovs  (Read 7747 times)

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to England, 1946 Valdis Valdeman Krilovs
« Reply #54 on: Monday 14 January 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
OK. Everything was possible. There lived people of many nationalities in the North West of Russia and many Germans as well (hundreds of thousands in whole Russia in the early 20th cent.), especially in St Petersburg, because it was Russian capital until 1918. 

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have really tried to find Valdis in the 1940 and even tried the 1950 census database but he doesn't seem to be in them. I have gone through literally thousands of persons with all possible variations of his names. I've got a feeling that he might not have been in Sweden in 1940 or he wasn't recorded. I've even gone through all persons born in Estonia, Lithuania, Russia and Latvia between 1915 and 1935 and still nothing.
Unless he wasn't named as Walter/Valdis/Valdeman and variations or his dob was recorded incorrectly it will be extremely difficult to find him.

What was his surname recorded on his marriage and death certificates?
Where did the Svensson surname info come from?

Ian

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Ian you've done enough for me and I do appreciate it :( it's like he dropped off the moon, people dont believe when I say no trace can be found but it's all so bizarre/mysterious.  Looking at dna, unlikely to be Lithuanian I now think. On marriage AND death surname was Krilovs.  Swensson/Svensson? was the name of the stepfather and it was my belief that Valdis/Waldis would have had to use that name while in Sweden. He claimed to have been naturalised in London but I can see no trace, wasnt sure what surname he came over with BUT ended up with Krilovs. Which is indeed a Latvian name so may well have been original spelling of fathers name, I cant see the clerk just making it up. Although as explained previously he was angry that the clerk spelt his name wrong and not the new 'readable' way he had intended so that British people would be able to pronounce it... he asked for Crylovs/Cryloves.Which still seems unusual!
Considering the controlled unhappy childhood he had. Our lives mirror each other quite a bit and I identify with him, it keeps me carrying on with all this. I dont think you can do anything else now, its taken so much of your time but we do appreciate it.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to England
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I accept there are no passenger lists (or so I think) for passengers from Sweden to London in 1946, but is there any way I can trace my grandad?   He was born 1928 as Valdis Valdeman Krilovs, his father died very shortly after his birth. His mother remarried and he became Valdis or Waldis Swensson.  He was born in a place beginning with 'V' in Sweden (that could be the village, town or district, no-one knows), came to London in 1946 and went back again a few years later. He returned to London c1951 for good, possibly changing his name from Swensson to Krilovs. He died 1981, having destroyed all his I.D.  Naturalization records at Kew is a possibility, but wouldnt there be a 100 year secrecy ruling on them?  I know he attended a boarding school in Stockholm but I dont speak Swedish and dont know if they'd give me records anyway, plus I couldnt translate them...even if I knew where the school is/was. His parents were Aleksander and Annette Krilovs, his father was a naval captain but all avenues have been explored there, and he's untraceable.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
(The original first post appears to have been put up again, sorry...only have options to edit not delete for some reason.)

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Aleksandrs Krilovs in Latvia, 1928.

Tried to find something about shipwrecks in Latvian newspapers and was thinking why Valdis had destroyed all his IDs.
“Maybe he didn’t want to reveal info about Aleksander for some reason? Maybe Aleksander had left his wife? What if Aleksander didn’t perish at sea and this story about him was told to little Valdis just to explain why his father didn’t live with him?”
Then found this:
http://www.periodika.lv//#searchResults;simpleQuery=Krilovs
left panel -> Date -> 1928

http://www.periodika.lv/periodika2-viewer/view/index-dev.html?lang=fr#issueType:P|issue:/p_001_wawe1928n125|article:DIVL145|query:Krilovs|panel:pa

Asked for help with translation
http://forum.vgd.ru/post/56/20683/p2850604.htm#pp2850604

Meklējamo personu saraksts Ns 366
25599. Krilovs, Aleksandrs, Miķeļa d., dz.
15. 1 1907. g, — Ventspils kara apr. pr-ka r.
JVs 2013. no 11. V 28. (21. V 28.), atrāvies no
karakl. izpild. š. g. febr. mēnesī. — Apcietināt.

Wanted persons list #366
25599. Krilovs, Aleksandrs, Michael’s son, born
15 Jan 1907 – Ventspils uyezd military chief’s Resolution # JVs 2013 , 11.V.28 (21.V.28),
evaded to perform military service in the February this year. – Must be arrested.
uyezd is an administrative district

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Alex - This has also gone through my mind, was 'dead at sea' just a convenient story. Maybe Valdis was told this by his mother or maybe he knew the truth (if it is the truth). I did believe it to be honest, because she re-married, but if her first marriage had been in Latvia and second in Sweden I suppose she could get away with it in those days if Aleksander was actually still alive. Then I thought, if it's true he would have died between the wars (as Im told he died when Valdis 'was little'). Then I considered that he could have been killed in a collision or explosion, or even natural causes. We dont know when he was born but as he was a captain (as Valdis put on the marriage cert) he would have been in the navy a while. Also wondered why Annette had no more kids, did she have Valdis late in life or just not have anymore.
 Pointless me asking family as they aren't and weren't interested, Im the family-orientated one. Their memories arent the best either and nobody wanted to ask his widow as she refused to talk about it. Im going to look at the link, this is a good find thankyou!! It says Aleksander born 1907, that might make him too young to have been a captain by the late 1920s as I think you have to be in the navy a while. God knows whats true, I have to go on what Ive got. Valdis was superstitious (naval traits) and loved fishing and being by water. No religion at all was practised, or references to Latvia.

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Krilov is very common name in Russia. Of course, I don't insist this A. Krilovs mentioned in the newspaper is the one you are searching.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou, even that info is helpful, I didn't know it was very common.