Author Topic: Sweden to England, 1946 Valdis Valdeman Krilovs  (Read 7748 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to England, 1946
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when Walter came to England the first time?

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Just re-read your first post..... no need to answer.
Thanks.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to add, first post says born 1928, but it may have been 1926 depending who we listen to... yes he came over to London approx 1946 before returning home for some reason for a while, then came over but this time settled in Notts, so poss got off the boat in Hull .
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 April 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to update this, no new info (despite scouring the electoral registers in London for the years he lived there and Swedish records on Familysearch.)
Ive now had a DNA test and uploaded the raw DNA onto Gedmatch, its thrown up a match for Sweden...Ive contacted the lady and the Swedish surnames in her family aren't Krilovs (they are Rooth, Krook and Melander) but I feel like Ive clutched at a tiny straw that may lead to something bigger. My DNA is roughly 50% British and just under 50% Eastern European, with only a small bit of Scandinavian. So I think Valdis/Walter's parents were probably Latvian, with one of them being half Swedish. From the forenames I'd say his father was Latvian and his mother half Swedish, sadly we dont know her maiden name. So its unknown if the father was a captain in the Latvian or the Swedish merchant navy. I was told Walter's mum died by 1956.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have access to the Swedish death database so if you can by any means find the name of Walter's mother we then have a chance to find her.... maiden or married name

Ian

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
I wish  :( Her forename was Annette but nobody knows (or will tell me...) her maiden name.  I have a world sub to Find My Past now; I've run the names Rooth, Krook and Melander through but no Annette's come up that fit. Her second husband was a Mr Swensson/Svensson/associated spellings.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
I was told Walter's mum died by 1956.

Hi
Just trying to get some concrete info.

You say by 1956. Do you think she was living in 1951 as there are new databases avaliable now. I think you said some time ago that Walter went back to Sweden to visit his mother around the 1940's. Are you certain she was living in Sweden when she died?

Ian

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 April 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
The way Im thinking is that my mother was born 1956 and it was mentioned/known that Valdis' mother (who my mother was named after) had already died by then. Valdis had married in Jan 1956 with none of his Swedish family or friends present and we know he didnt correspond with anyone over there either, or certainly not from 1956 onwards. Before marriage he was at Sherwood settlement hostel (for foreign workers) but they havent kept records.  When Valdis originally came over just after WW2, he arrived in London (cant see him on electoral rolls), then returned to Sweden. Then came back over for good, settling in Notts. (Poss arrived at Hull?) There are many reasons why he may have gone back home, maybe a failed relationship or disillusioned with life in England, but I did think that it may have been the death of his mother because she probably died in that time period. He was born 1926 and she died by 1956 so she probably wasn't elderly unless she had him late in life. I cant know for sure she was in Sweden when she died but its more than likely, she had remarried a Swedish man after her husbands death who treated Valdis very badly and packed him off to boarding school. I cant imagine her going back to Latvia and Im thinking she was half Swedish because of the DNA test I had, also the name Aleksander is more native to Latvia wheras Annette is more popular in Sweden than Latvia.
Ive just emailed a west Latvian newspaper that's local to the Navy base. Which site has the Swedish death database, I may be looking in the wrong place within a site?

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 April 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Which site has the Swedish death database, I may be looking in the wrong place within a site?

I own a copy of the death database. If she died in Sweden she will be there. There are a number of Annette Svenssons.

Ian