Author Topic: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)  (Read 42635 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Yes -- certainly a feather for the cap there,  Fizzy!  And I much appreciate your help.

As to contacting Grant,  no success so far;  but doubtless somebody will let him know about this thread before long,  or Google will eventually point him here.

The trouble with the Anc***ry internal messaging system is that they block users of their "community" pages who are not paying subscribers from initiating any contact through it -- all communication has to be started the other way round.  Like many people,  Grant has not opened up his e-mail address to the world (probably with a prudent eye to the spam-merchants),  so that direct route is not available to me either.  Also,  as you will perhaps have seen,  there have so far been no signs of life in response to my post on the open-access Burgoyne message board (so active last summer).  Anyway,  I shall await developments.

I hope that I have not entirely dissuaded you from looking at your own records,  Fizzy.  I don't know whether you yourself have access to Grant's tree (I have only had the limited access described in Reply 7 above),  but I would be most grateful if you were able to cast your eye over it and report whether it contains anything that you can expand upon from your own sources;  or indeed if it asserts anything with which you substantially disagree.

Rol
(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 09 01:17 BST (UK) »

The 1840 marriage certificate has now arrived from the GRO.  Here are the main points:

On 15 January 1840,  at Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,  Plymouth,  John Burgoyne,  of full age,  bachelor,  a builder,  of Raleigh Street,  Plymouth (son of William Burgoyne,  builder) was married to Susan Smith Giles,  of full age, spinster,  [no occupation],  of 37 Bedford Street,  Plymouth (daughter of Thomas Giles,  whitesmith),  in the presence of James Burgoyne and Thomas Giles.

All of which serves to provide -- in combination with Cleo's birth certificate -- final confirmation for the identity of her paternal and maternal grandfathers.

Rol
(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 May 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
You have the Burgoyne history previous to this via "Grant".

What about the Giles or arent you interested in that side of the family ?

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 May 09 03:01 BST (UK) »

Fizzy

I "have the Burgoyne history . . . via Grant",  but only to the restricted degree already explained.  Plus people other than Grant may have some wisdom to offer on the topic -- just like you!  Perhaps someone who has done a lot of work on Kingsbridge families and tripped over a reference or two to the Burgoynes in the process.  No harm asking,  anyway.

I know a lot about my own little patch of expertise in Wales -- but I fear that I am a complete beginner when it comes to Devon.

My main focus in this thread has certainly been the Burgoynes.  But the Giles family have inevitably come onto the agenda thanks to that wedding.  All is grist to the mill!

Very grateful for your continued interest.

Rol

Offline Moatville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
I know this thread is over a year old now, but if anyone is still out there and interested, it would appear that Cleopatra had a son, John Cecil Power who became MP for Wimbledon and was made baronet.

It would also appear that Cleo married Augustus Joseph Enever in the 1870s post divorce from William Power and emigrated to USA (Cleveland) - probably to leave all her travails behind her in England

I have other info if there is an interest

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:22 BST (UK) »

Hi Moatville -- and other Cleo-Hunters,

Many thanks for posting that!  It has administered a necessary prod in my ribs,  because I have been feeling rather guilty for not finding time to update the thread since last June,  when I first spotted the Ohio BMD info added to the LDS site -- and then similar info on Ancestry.com,  plus some Public Family Tree matches that did not seem to be there when this chase started.  I then went digging in the censuses on both sides of the Atlantic,  where my fingerprints are on quite a few transcription corrections designed to put the spot light on how the indexers had previously thrown us off her trail.  If you have been digging into all this too,  you have probably seen and relished one of their classics:  Cleopatra with her new husband in the UK 1881 census for Croydon,  indexed as "Aeopaha"!   But the covering of her tracks there was a joint effort,  because the enumerator went and entered her husband as "Enerer";  and Cleo had her illegitimate son put down as a "visitor" and reversed his GRO registered forenames to turn him into James S Bennett,  not Samuel James Bennett.  It turns out that Cleo and her son sailed for the New World from Glasgow on 24 Nov. 1885.

I was glad to discover that the Burgoyne tradition of favouring imperial forenames did not die out,  given that Cleopatra in this case went for an Augustus . . . But the end of the story was quite sad,  as you have also probably seen -- they both died at Cleveland, Ohio,  still in their sixties and 10 days apart,  in February 1911 (so one suspects some epidemic disease,  or even an accident).  And poor James Enever né Samuel Bennett turns out to have been blind,  per US draft exemption card for WW1 and the census,  and had to earn what living he could as a piano tuner.  He died childless on 11 Feb. 1943,  also at Cleveland,  and it looks as though Augustus and Cleo also produced no surviving children;  so he had no half-siblings from that union,  and with his death the Burgoyne illegitimate line came to an end.

Still,  it is a great thing to have discovered what became of her -- I had thought for quite a while that she was going to be successful in giving us all the slip!

Well done for following down what happened to Cleo's children by her first husband,  William Power (though that perhaps is how your attention was first attracted to this matter,  and you were "coming up the other way"?).  I had been keeping that part of the tale off-stage,  until we had finally wrapped up what became of Cleo herself;  I feared that all the baronetcy stuff would prove quite a distraction and draw attention away from the person who I thought should be the thread's leading lady!

It is an irony that after all her tribulations,  Cleo's son John Cecil Power and his brother became very rich as London property developers.  Their company was the driving force behind the building of Kingsway.  As you say,  John went into parliament in the Conservative interest and was granted a baronetcy (which continues).

Perhaps unsurprisingly,  the write-up in Burke's P&B is -- shall we say -- a little reticent on the subject of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne.  At some point someone must have decided that "Cleopatra" was a trifle too distinctive,  so her name appears as Cecilia only,  her father is labelled with the questionable prefix "Col" -- and she is stated to have left the scene very permanently in 1874,  perhaps in consequence of those uncomfortable reports in the newspapers.  Here is her para in the article on Power of Newlands, Baronets:

WILLIAM TAYLOR POWER, of Eldon House, Co. Down: m Cecilia (d 1874). dau of Col John Burgoyne, and d 29 Nov 1918, leaving:
   1  Frederick Joseph: b 21 April 1869; d 24 July 1936
   2  Sir John Cecil Power, 1st Bt (UK), so cr 1 Feb 1924, b 21 Dec 1870; MP (C) Wimbledon Oct 1924-June 1945 ... and d 5 June 1950

Genealogy can be full of surprises . . .

Rol

Offline Moatville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Rol -yes you guessed right - I was coming at this from the other way. My interests are through the Ballagh/Power connections, my wife being a Ballagh

Some more facts and deductions. I believe that the Powers and the Burgoynes joined forces in some way in Co Louth and this manifested itself in Cleos marriage to William Taylor Power.

Before this, Williams father, John Power, had established himself as the proprietor of the Belfast Hotel in Holywood, 4 miles east of Belfast. I believe that William, Cleo and John all ended up in Holywood and indeed could have been there before the marriage.

William had a sister Sarah, who married John Ballagh, a coal merchant/importer and gas plumber of great repute in the area.

John Burgoyne is recorded in newspapers and street directories as a founding member and director of the Holywood Gas Company, a Town Commissioner and Head of the Police Commission in Holywood. (Could this have carried the rank of Col??)

(Didnt they extract gas from coal in Victorian times?)
Ballagh = coal and gas
Burgoyne = Gas and Property
Power = Property

ONE BIG HAPPY VICTORIAN CAPITALIST FAMILY!

The Power family are known to have considerable property interests around Holywood at the timeand seem to have transferred their interests to London over time

Finally - I noticed an old newspaper add for a house sale in Co Louth and the contact names were - you gueseed it - Burgoyne and Power, Holywood

Offline bennever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 October 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all, after contact from Rol I have updated my website (www.ennever.com) with some of the latest info on Cleopatra and William Power.  I was coming from the Augustus Enever angle and congratulate you on this excellent example of collaborative research.

There seem to be a few o/s questions and I don't know if you or others have looked at any of them....

1. Who was Samuel Bennett and has he been found in censuses (you'd expect him to be in the Herts area in 1871 but no trace as Bennett, Burgoyne or Bishop as far as I can see)?
2. Who is Hannah Burgoyne, gd of William & Dorothy, who is with them in 1851?  It seems she may be the daughter of a George Burgoyne (there's one in Chelsea in 1841 but he was bc1796 so probably wouldn't be a son of William & Dorothy).
3. Do we know who Elizth Burgoyne is (and possibly children James & Jane in Raleigh St in 1841)?

Thanks everyone
Barry Ennever
Ennever Eniver Hannaway Tadman and all Ennever-related families (or see www.ennever.com)

Offline bennever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 October 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Just to add to my previous post...

Hannah bc1839 in Chelsea seems to be the child of George Burgoyne & Hannah Jones who married at St Martin in the Fields in 1835 or 36 (it's unclear) but I can't find the parish record of the marriage to identify any witnesses etc.  Hannah was chr in Chelsea in 1839 and George was a joiner.  This isn't a good match for the 1861 couple we find in Westminster in 1861 (George born in Doctors Commons c1808 and a draper) but with this lot you never know! 

If anyone has an opportunity to do a lookup for us of the St Martin in the Fields marriage (Nov 1835 or 36) to see if witness names eg help us that would be excellent?

See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=491552.new#new for the request
Ennever Eniver Hannaway Tadman and all Ennever-related families (or see www.ennever.com)