Author Topic: Ayres circus in (possibly) Norfolk  (Read 2643 times)

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ayres circus in (possibly) Norfolk
« on: Thursday 30 April 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
When my dad was alive he used to tell me some of his ancestors owned a circus around about the Norfolk area, my mother insists he was pulling my leg but he always sounded serious to me, has anyone ever heard of it?
AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE, WAITE, CUNLIFFE, BOWMAN

Area's: Spilsby, Lincs (for WAITE and BOWMAN) and Warrington, Cheshire for AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE.  Manchester for CUNLIFFE.  LEWIS and HOSKER were in and around the Bold and Frodsham area

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres circus in (possibly) Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
Can you give us any more clues? Roughly what era are we talking about? I've known several members of the Ayres family working in and around circuses in England 1950s - 1970s. I've never heard of any 'Ayres Circus' and an find no reference in any of my books. Ayres are a prominent family in funfairs ....Thomas Ayres, SOUTHALL, Middlesex, makes funfair equipment.

Here's a picture of Boxer Henry Cooper (O.B.E), promoting the Ayres Gigantic Fun Fair at Barham Park - 1969

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
The Ayres family, from which I descend on my mother's side, lived in a large area of Cambridgeshire, particularly Bottisham and other parishes on the northern side of Cambridge. Many of them had very biblical names, Absolom, Eli, Moses etc.etc. Not far from Norfolk, any connection?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying.

My Grandfather was called William Alfred Ayres b.22/9/1893 Ellesmere Port, Wirral, he was married to Agnes Hastry - His father was called William John Ayres b.1871 London?, he married Leah Mortimore and his father may have been called Richard Liddiatt Ayres bc 1838 and married to Emma Herod.  I don't know much beyond that
AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE, WAITE, CUNLIFFE, BOWMAN

Area's: Spilsby, Lincs (for WAITE and BOWMAN) and Warrington, Cheshire for AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE.  Manchester for CUNLIFFE.  LEWIS and HOSKER were in and around the Bold and Frodsham area

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, it doesn't seem that there is any close connection, or possibly even any connection at all.My Ayres connection were all Ag Labs, principally in the Cambridge area.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)