Author Topic: Who lived at ...?  (Read 9729 times)

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived at ...?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 May 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Okay - searches done in the 1894 directory ...

No sign of John Gunn (or any Gunn for that matter).

Margaret Piercy is still a pawnbroker - but listed only at 1 Walkergate Lane.

Searching 3 Walkergate Lane throws up only Maria Rizza

Searching 67 High Street throws up only Maria Rizza.

Searching 67 Marygate throws up nothing.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 May 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Just a thought:

If Michaelangelo only rented the shop he would not be on the census. He would be living elsewhere.

Rog

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 May 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
I checked as soon as Mike gave me the name and no Rizza(variations) living in Berwick in 1891 that I could see.

Is it Michelangel that you're trying to locate, Mike?

Added - I see that  you have Michelangelo in Glasgow and it's Maria you're looking for but she might be in Glasgow or Italy so I'm not sure who we're looking for  :-\

What was her maiden surname?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
By 1901, John Gunn, aged 57,  was living at 37 Ravensdowne(?), Berwick, no occupation stated RG13/4844/149/25

No one is living at 67 High Street

A possible scenario is that Michelangelo leased/bought the property from him between 1891 and 1894 and John Gunn retired.  Also, as Rog says, the trade directory will just list the premises from where they were trading rather than where they were living.

GAdget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
No, I'm not trying to locate the Rizzas - I know full well who they are. Michelangelo is (99% sure) my great-grandfather but Maria is not my great-grandmother. What I'm trying to do is get as close as I possibly can to the date of Michelangelo's first appearance in Berwick (not necessarily as a resident, but maybe as someone checking the area out for business opportunities. An awful lot of Glaswegian Italian ice cream makers did the same thing at about the same time). I think it would have been some time in 1890 and nothing I've seen so far says that can't be correct (or incorrect, if the truth be told). On the other hand, this thread is making it look like I'm not going to get any closer.

I've been labouring under what is now clearly a misapprehension - that he immediately set up one or both of the ice cream shops we can see in 1894. Of course, he didn't necessarily do any such thing. But all he actually has to be doing is getting off the Leith-Berwick ferry fairly often, because that's how my otherwise-attached great-grandmother knew when he was in town.

And, as has been pointed out, if he's staying at a pub or has a rented room, he would probably still register for the census at his Glasgow address - which is what he did. So, if anyone has a guest book for the Miners Arms at Tweedmouth, it could be very handy indeed. But miracles tend not to happen  ::)

Mike
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
I think we cross posted.

Not sure if a property register would be of any use. Now all property is registered, you can't get the full details of the property's owners/tenants.

Bit of a wild goose chase really  - I think I'll go to the Stadium of Light  ::)

Gadget

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Now that is sheer desperation. After nearly forty years of following Sunderland, even I am beginning to transfer my allegiance to Doncaster Rovers,

Mike

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose he might have had some sort of concession for supplying ice cream to the holidaymakers on the beach? A sort of Mr. Whippy of the 19th century? Spittal was quite a resort for holidaymakers in those days. Handsome Italian ice cream man with twirly moustache - what a lady-killer!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 May 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
and what about poor Maria - kind of NorthEastside Story, really  :-\

I'm not joking about the S Of L - I've got a season ticket  ;D