Author Topic: House of Commons Chophouse  (Read 687 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
House of Commons Chophouse
« on: Friday 01 May 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Roots Chatters,

Just wondered what sort of images this place conjures up in your mind!

I was researching my Beech family and found in the tree a Thomas Beech who was a cornchandler living in King Street, Westminister, and after some digging and delving I discovered this particular King Street no longer exists.

With the aid of two great websites Motco Maps (London 1830 map) and Historical Directories (Post Office London Directory 1841) I found this particular King Street ran south from Downing Street to what is now called King Charles Street - parallel to and west of Whitehall/Parliament and was a real hive of activity with butchers, bakers and even tallow chandlers among its occupants. It also housed public houses, and coffee shops. The pubs included the Dove, the Coach and Horses, the Anchor and Crown, the Star and Garter, the Blue Boar's Head and House of Commons Chophouse run by Chas T. Isborn.

I can just imagine the trek out of the House of Commons over to King Street for lunch can't you? Nothing Changes!!!!!!

Happy Searching
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)