Author Topic: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford  (Read 16309 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford
« on: Friday 01 May 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi There
Hope some one can help me.
My ancestors are buried in Ardcavan Cemetery which is 3 miles from Wexford Town.  I visited this cemetery recently and found it in a very neglected state. I was unable to gain access.  But can anyone tell me have the tombstone inscriptions been recorded or where can I go to obtain burial records for Ardcavan. 

Any helpwould be greatly appreciated.

Summerhill.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
I have access to some transcriptions from Ardcavan Old - what surname(s) were you looking for ?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shanew.  I'm looking for Morris, Redmond, & McDonald all from Castlebridge, Co. Wexford.  Did visit Ardcavan lately but couldnt get in as it is overgrown. Visited the PP in castlebridge to see burial records. But couldnthelp me as most of the old registers are illegible. He told me Ardcavan was cleaned up in 1998 for the 1798 bicentennial commerations & the tombstones may have been transcribed. His predecessor Fr. Cleary was around in1998 & would have been able to help me but is now dead.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a pm with Redmond entries between 1833 and 1892.

There are no Morris or McDonald listings included

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
From the Wexford War Dead to be published in November;

REDMOND, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 13-August-1915. Service No: 19860. Born in Castlebridge, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died of Wounds in Gallipoli. Age at Death; 41. Supplementary information; Son of Morgan and Elizabeth Redmond of 14, Lyme St, Haydock, St. Helens. Grave or Memorial Reference: V. A. 4. Cemetery: Hill 10 Cemetery in Turkey.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks every one I am delighted to get such gems of information.
I didnt even know that I had a great great uncle killed in action.
Mums mother died when she was a toddler.  So she never realy knew her. She was sent to  the nuns to be educated from 5-18 years of age.
Weare trying to locate our Grandmothers burial in Ardcavan to erect a new tombstone withher name on it.  We then hope to bring mum down in the summer to see it.  She is 85 now & its her wish to visit it. As her only sister died last year aged 90.  The local council have told me that Ardcavan cemetery is cleaned up every summer in time for the patron.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Shanew I forgot to ask you could you let me have what inscriptions you have as I hope to delve further back and they may be handy to have.  Also would you know where I could try for a full record of Ardcavan inscriptions.

All your help folks is greatly appreciated, God bless you all.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 08:30 BST (UK) »
The best source that I know of for Co. Wexford inscriptions is 'Brian J. Cantwell’s Memorials of the Dead'

Eneclann  (www.eneclann.ie) stocks this on various CDs - for the complete list on the website of the graveyards included and there is a 'Ardcavan Oll' in Co. Wexford mentioned - which I assume is a typo, and means Ardcavan Old.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Enfield, many thanks forposting information on William Redmond.  I have found his grave on www.findagrave.com.