Author Topic: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford  (Read 18697 times)

Offline castlebridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 June 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
My grandmother Mary Elizabeth Redmond
Her father Thomas Redmond Married Mary ( Murphy we think). his brother William was the person who died at Gallipoli. I will fin dout if there were any other family.
Grandfather Morgan Redmond married Elizabeth. cannot find Morgan on any census, but reading this thread he is apparently in Haydock with the rest of the family. I will try to find out names of any of his siblings

Before Thomas moved to England they lived in Hell Lane Castlebridge, the name of the Lane has now changed but if you know castlebridge it is behind Flanagans Shop/Petrol Station. You can see it on Google maps.

The Redmonds came back to Castlebridge quite often which is where my Granny met my Grandfather and married and settled there. My mother was born in Haydock which was the tradition at the time to go home to your mother to have your first child.

My Mother has loads of information on the family but she is 90 now and it is becoming a but blurred.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 June 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for those very valuable gems of information.  I know Castlebridge quite well and Flanagans are cousins of mine!!! so the next time I am there I will look very closely as I pass the petrol station. Now I got My grannys maiden name wrong, She was Annie Morris (Her Mother was a Redmond.) who married my grandfather John Mc Donald in Castlebridge church in April 1917. John was an employee of Nunns in Castlebridge. Unfortunately Granny died in 1932 of pneumonia leaving behind 6 very young children.My mother was only 5 when she died & has very little memory of her. Grandad John was from around Ballyoughter?Ballycanew area in Gorey.

Offline castlebridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 July 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Wow, Summerhill, I think I know who John McDonald is, we called him Johnny Mac, I think they lived next door to my granny in  St Ibars Villas, Castlebridge.  Their Daughter Dolly married Liam Lennon and continued to live in the house with the father they did not have children. Dolly was brought up in a convent when her mother died. She had a sister called Mae (mai) who used to come and visit. Also another sister somehwere in Wexford who had children.
Dolly was an excellent Musician and taught Piano both at home and at various schools was also for many years leader of the chior in the church and played the organ.
Dolly was a wonderfull woman who always looked smart, and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She was a very good friend to my mother and my Aunt Tessie.
I could tell you stories about The Mac's and the Flanagan's but not suitable for a public forum.
If you get the local magazine "The Bridge" there are loads of photo's of Dolly in it

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that lovely information Castlebridge. I will enquire about that magazine the Bridge.

Offline castlebridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
I will speak to my mother about Annie Morris to see if she knows anything about her family history

Offline castlebridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 August 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Summerhill, I haven't be able to find out much but here goes, you probably know all this already.

Your Grandfather John McDonald started as a Yard Boy with the Nuns, he was later their chauffer.

Dolly had said that her mother was buried in Ardcavan in a grave used by others, she didn't know why as she didn't know the people.

Dolly's sister from Wexford town is called Cissie Campbell, her son Colm manages the River Bank House Hotel in Wexford so you may be able to get information from him.

Her sister Mae lived/lives in Bree (SP) Offaly.
She had a brother in south London and another brother in England. I don't think either of them had children.

Your mother must be the remaining sister

Your grandmother had a bike shop/grocers which was taken on by the Flanagan's

Their family home was in Hell Lane before they moved to St Ibars Villas.

That's it hope it is of use

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 August 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  for that information, some of which I did know already & thats all that I do know I am afraid.  At least I do know now that Mrs.  MacDonald was buried in what they probably called a communal grave. I suppose in those days money was scarce & that was all they could afford maybe.

But thankyou once again for taking the time & trouble to find out so much for me & replying.

Summerhill

Offline Geraldine Cullen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford burial records
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 February 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old old post but hoping that someone may still be in the know regarding this graveyard.

I have a great-great-grandfather John Lane buried in this cemetery in 1913. I have visited his grave on a number of occasions, as thankfully the headstone still exists so I was able to find it. A grandson is buried with him and I believe his wife was also buried with him in 1946, however, her name is not on the headstone.

I would be most grateful for a reply.

Kind regards,
Geraldine

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Ardcavan Cemetery Wexford burial records
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 February 20 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old old post but hoping that someone may still be in the know regarding this graveyard.

I have a great-great-grandfather John Lane buried in this cemetery in 1913. I have visited his grave on a number of occasions, as thankfully the headstone still exists so I was able to find it. A grandson is buried with him and I believe his wife was also buried with him in 1946, however, her name is not on the headstone.

I would be most grateful for a reply.

Kind regards,
Geraldine

I don't see a question.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area