Author Topic: Claregalway Cordial family  (Read 17568 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Claregalway Cordial family
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hope there is someone who can help me with the Cordial family.
The griffith valuation table has a Henry Cordial as leasee of a small house and garden which lay adjacent to the old church of St James in 1855. Marriage records has a Mona Cordial marrying a Thomas Cullinan on 4.2.1855 and their daughter Honoria baptised in the same church on 2.12.1855. My own g.granmother Sarah Mary Cordial was married to Thomas Dowling on 21.4.1861. The Cordials it would seem move from Claregalway in 1857. To where I have no idea. There are no Cordials listed in the parish records for St. James prior to 1855 so I guess they must have moved there from elsewhere.
Any additional info would be a bonus.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Brian1 ???
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Claregalway Cordial family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,

I was researching my Henry Cordial today and saw your message. I don't know if the info I have is any use to you, but here hoes:

My Henry Cordial was born in 1801 in "Granargh" which I think might be Granard. He enlisted in the British Army in 1817 and served in the 44th Foot and later the Rifle Brigade. He married a woman called Elizabeth and they had at least two children: James (my great-great-grandfather) born in Limerick in 1824 and John, born in Galway in 1828.

I am hoping to get Henry's military records soon and will let you know if I find anything more, if you're interested.

Also there are a couple of Henry Cordials listed in the Granard church registers, which can be found at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllog/churchrecs.htm

Best of luck with your research ... these Cordials can be tricky customers to track down  ;D
Family Names - Cordial (or Cordeal), Emery, Gregory, Guthrie

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Thanks for the posting. It looks very promising that your Henry is also my G.G. Grandfather as there is no listing for any other Cordial in the 1851 Griffith valuation table for Co. Galway. Sarah Mary Cordial ( my g.grandmother ) was very possibly his daughter and she is my link to him. She married a Thomas Dowling ( R.I.Constabulary ) and their descendants are spread across the globe. Some in the Boston area of the U.S. some in Buenos Aires, Sydney and of course the U.K. One of their daughters was Ellen Dowling ( my grandmother ) born in Liverpool. She married a James Gordon and my mother is the youngest of their daughters.
Do you know if your Henry went to live in Clare Galway?
As you can see in my posting of the parish registers there were two daughters born to Henry.
Any information you may dig up on him would be very welcome.
Made serveral trips to Dublin and Clare Galway to try and trace further some further detail on him but the only thing I could find was the Griffith Valuation Table and the parish register in Clare Galway. If we are related through Henry Cordial then I will send you the details of the Griffith Valuation for Clare Galway and also the parish register entries.
Thanks again for the info.
Brian Arnold
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Is there any chance your great-grandmother Sarah was born in Halifax in 1843?

I have attached a timeline of information I've discovered on the Cordials. In a listing of Cordial Army births and deaths, I found a Sarah M. under Rifle Brigade - my Henry's regiment. (Unfortunately, I can't tell what's a birth and what's a death - the list just gives the name and regiment).

The information in boldface I have documentation for and know it relates to my family. The rest I'm not too sure of yet :)
Maybe some of this will help you with your research.

FYI: there's a lady called Violet on Ancestry UK who's doing a one-name study on the Cordials. Hers hale from the Channel Islands...

Betony

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethany,
Looks to me that we definitely have a common ancestor in Henry. My G.G.Grndmother was Sarah Mary. We estimated she was born in 1843 or 44 from her age at marriage.
My mother aways spoke of the fact that her grandmother was from Canada so this ties in well with your timeline.
Wonder if Margaret in Irish is Mona? I will check this out.
Would you like me to send you the information ( especially the Griffith valuation table for Henry Cordial ) and photo's we have of Clare Galway and the church in which Sarah Mary  was married ?
I know the American side of the family always said that Henry was a bandmaster in the army in Malta, but this was hearsay.
Many thanks
Brian

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I'd love to see any info you have. It definitely sounds like your Henry and mine are the same. Both his son, James, and James' son (James Courts Cordial) were bandmasters!!! In fact, James Courts carried the flag into Khartoum in the Egyptian campaign and was mentioned in dispatches by Kitchener.

This is great ... I've hunted for so long to find information on these folks. When I get Henry's Army records, I will pass the information on to you.

Betony

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Just curious as to where about you are. Are you in the U.K?
I live in Yarm, which is in Cleveland ( North east England ) but I was born in Liverpool.
Brian

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Actually, I'm in Canada. I live in Kitchener (how ironic!) a city about 100 km east of Toronto. I was born in Edinburgh, but my family moved to Canada when I was small.

The Internet and the people I've met on it have been such a help, as it's very hard to find records long distance.

Betony

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,

Reference the timeline you posted. Are these Cordials all descended from James Cordial born 1773 making Henry his first born son, or are they a list of all Cordials that served the the British Army over this period?
I would imagine that by 1855, the time of Griffith valuation, that Henry must have retired from the army to live in ClareGalway.  Unfortunely Griffith makes no mention of any other than the owner or leasee of the house, so I don't know if his wife is still alive at this time. I wonder why Mona Cordial was not included in your list as she is older than Sarah Mary? Sarah Mary's first two children were born in Claregalway, but they then followed her husband to Dudley in England were he joined the local constabulary, they then moved onto Liverpool and both Sarah and Thomas are buried in Anfield cemetery
Regards
Brian