Author Topic: The Joel-Ellis family  (Read 6627 times)

Offline KiwiDi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Joel-Ellis family
« on: Monday 04 May 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
A few weeks ago I  logged in on rootschat to a series of messages about one Marguerite Joel Ellis with a researcher called Danone who had received several responses from amongst others, Kintree. I was able to add quite a lot to this, but have had no followup response, perhaps because all the lead up chat was already several months old. So I would like to touch base with anyone who has further to add.  I am in particular interested to know if there is any known connection between her husband Col Joseph Frederick Joel-Ellis of Ellistown in Leicestershire and one Lewis Joel born in Dubin in 1824, who much later was H.M. Consul General to Savannah in Georgia.
If anyone has further information on the Ellistown colliery, the Ellis and Everard works and family or the Joel-Ellis family I'd be pleased to hear from them.
Thanks
KiwiDi

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Joel-Ellis family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KiwiDi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I didn't know how to get from one section to another without travelling all the way out and then in again!

Offline Clairediane90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am currently doing some research into this family.  I have a copy of Joseph and Marguerite's wedding certificate witnessed by an L Ellis Joel.  Lewis perhaps?

I have their children as:
Isidore Lewis b.1849, Lima Walter (Walter) b.1851, Pessa (Bessie) b. 1852, George Marcus Horace b. 1853, Frederick Alexander Joseph b. 1854, Issac Abraham Albert (Albert) b. 1855, Eve Gertrude b. 1859, Laurier Montague (Montague) b. 1857, Napthalie Chatham b. 1861 and Percy Foxon Cavendish b. 1868.

Joseph has been listed varoiusly as Consul-general for Persia and also Montevideo (see the Times online archive).

Offline KiwiDi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.

I can tell you that  Eve (Evelyn)  Gertrude eloped with an Austrian cavalry officer, was cut off by her father, became Eve Brandeis-Weikersheim and subsequently lived in Vienna until forced to return to England in 1938 to escape the Nazis.  She had one surviving child, a daughter, but did I believe separate  quite early from her husband Hermann as she rather liked the high society life  of the Viennese upper middle classes, and he was a renowned bore!

Isidore lived at The Grange in Ellistown,  Walter became a solicitor and Albert a barrister.   

Joseph Joel-Ellis  started his career in London as a jeweller at 49 The Strand, and subsequently had three decently prestigious London addresses at various times, once he had got into the mining industry: can't find right now the first one, in South Kensington, but the second was The Grange near what is now South Kensington station, (he probably got it cheap because the plans for the underground must have been underway and it was demolished)  and the third was 51 Portland Place and is now the Chinese Embassy.  He was then listed as Col Joseph Joel Ellis, Consul General for Persia, so he didn't do too badly!

I have been trying to work out the relationships of the previous generation and where the family had originally come from. I have traced Joseph Frederick Joel-Ellis (or The Colonel as he was known) and his parents back via Ireland and Bristol to Krotoschin (now Posen) in Bohemia. His parents were called Pessa and Isaiah Joel.

The name of Joel-Ellis was formed by deed poll  in 1863. He died in London in 1885 and there is an obituary in The Jewish Chronicle and The Lady (!). My interest is in the lateral connections that must be Lewis Joel and Sarah Joel - very likely a brother and sister.  I also want to find out where the ELLIS name came from i.e. was it taken on as a compliment to a family who had helped him into the coal business or something. There was certainly a connection with Ellis and Everard the manufacturers of sanitation/drainage pottery, bricks and pipeware, nationalised in the 1960s.

The Colonel's wife was called Marguerite nee Nathan and brought a Latin American connection, hence Walter's second name. She may have been born in Brazil or Peru.

Of course one of the things that makes it interesting and a little harder to research is that the family was Jewish. That's possibly another reason for taking on an extra English sounding surname, particularly as he did end up with honorary diplomatic positions.

Hope you find this of use.

What is your interest in this family? I can write up the  things I have  more clearly if you are interested and can add some more detail.

Offline nick-ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
hi,
have you any info on this family tree, like joseph joels decendants?, i am searching for info on a charles edward ellis who is linked to joseph joel ellis

Offline nick-ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
hi,
i am also interested in this family tree

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline KiwiDi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
A response to Nick.
Hi Nick.
I am a direct descendant of the Joel-Ellis family myself, but a person with  the names of  Charles Edward doesn't mean anything to me, and I have done some quite extensive research on the children, grandchildren and so one down the line. Are you sure that the ancestry of your Charles Edward is the same as my lot? You can see all the immediate descendants on my message further u p on the chain of replies.
I would be interested in seeing whatever information you have, as it might help resolve this. The one I am interested in tracing in Lewis Joel, who ended up as Consul General in Savannah and who I believe was the brother of Joseph Frederick Joel Ellis. Plus the adoption of the name ELLIS itself - I know when but I don't really know WHY.
Looking forward to a reply from you - I haven't been logging into this site much recently, hence delay in dicovering your message.
Regards
KD

Offline nick-ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
hi,
my mothers grandfather was charles edward ellis and she has told me he was brought up by joseph joel ellis who owned ellistown and i am trying to find the connection between these two people, i dont have any other info at the moment, only that.

how are you related to this family?