Author Topic: ** NEWS **: new buttons  (Read 10986 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: ** NEWS **: new buttons
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 07:11 BST (UK) »
Flipping 'eck, haven't we better things to do other than debating leaves & icon buttons  ::)  We have a great forum here, thanks to Trystan & Sarah, and all for free.  I don't mind what they look like as long as they work  ;)

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
I like having everything at the top of the page where it's easily found.

Possibly needn't have bothered with the leaves, but I think they're OK and understand the reason they were included.

Overall, an improvement.  ;D

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
For a minute I thought I was with the Gardening Society  with all the talk of leaves;D

Added:  I couldn't figure what was different this morning when I logged on.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 07:48 BST (UK) »
Just a suggestion  ;) ....

It would be nice to have a "noticeboard" where rootschat news such as this can be posted, maybe even only open to the rootschat admin and/or mods.

Sometimes these announcements get lost in the other posts. As an example, earlier I started a new thread about the new look rootschat as I hadn't noticed this thread. I'm sure others will start posts about it too.

Just something that may be useful to maybe add somewhere down the line and it may help avoid duplication.  :)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
For a minute I thought I was with the Gardening Society  with all the talk of leaves;D

Added:  I couldn't figure what was different this morning when I logged on.Cheers
KHP

Me too.............I'd been sitting looking wondering what was different!!!     Duh........     ::) ::)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:43 BST (UK) »
I'm with Ruskie on the need for a noticeboard.

As to the buttons they are maybe not quite right but hey these things can always be worked on.  Do they have to be buttons at all, can't they just be a text link with the leaves next to them??  Don't know, just a suggestion....

I think its excellent that at last we don't have to hunt round for things like surnames and library and help.  They are there at the top of the page. 

Kerry  :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
We decided right from the beginning that we wouldn't have a "noticeboard" on RootsChat for announcements. Things of note don't happen all that often, and "noticeboards" tend to be very one way.  :-\

That decision seems to have worked in the five years we have been up. Anyhow, back to the leaves....  ;D
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
How about something like the buttons on the BBC website, a bit more sculptural and the leaves could remain  ;D and with a border.  That also kind of matches the shape of search UK/Ireland database and might look visually more appealing.  Again just a suggestion.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:59 BST (UK) »

Getting down to the nitty gritty............does it really matter if there's leaves or butterflies, coloured buttons or not, there's no way everyone is going to be happy with any layout/idea that's put forth.   As long as they're there and they work...........isn't that the main thing??

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton