Author Topic: Marriage lookup please - Completed  (Read 1754 times)

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup please - Completed
« on: Wednesday 06 May 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage of a Margaret Ann Thomson (b. 1863 Fordyce) to ***** Wood between 1891 and 1904.  Margaret's parents were William Thomson (Mariner) and Jane Smith.  I have found her on the 1891 census, she is aged 26 and her occupation is given as a teacher.  I have looked on SP but have not had any luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggie

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage of a Margaret Ann Thomson (b. 1863 Fordyce) to ***** Wood between 1891 and 1904.  Margaret's parents were William Thomson (Mariner) and Jane Smith.  I have found her on the 1891 census, she is aged 26 and her occupation is given as a teacher.  I have looked on SP but have not had any luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggie

There is a marriage of a Margaret Ann Thomson to a William Wood at Greenwich in 1898. Like you I cant find anything on SP.

I think I have found them living at Greenwich in 1901. Margaret is born 1864 at Banffshire so a very good chance it is her.

Regards,
Nel

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Completed
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 09 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Nel

I had already looked at the Greenwich marriage which seemed a very strong possibility, as I couldn't find a marriage in Scotland.   Actually yesterday I looked up on the 1911 census which shows William Wood and Margaret Ann Wood still living in Greenwich.  The place of birth given of Portsoy for Margaret is about right; Fordyce was given on previous censuses.  Just looked up 1901 census (couldn't find it before, even putting in variations) and the address is the same as for 1911.  A niece is also given which ties in with everything else.

Thanks again - another pair of eyes does help!!

Ziggie  :) :) :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
The place of birth given of Portsoy for Margaret is about right; Fordyce was given on previous censuses. 

It is exactly right. Portsoy is in the parish of Fordyce.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.