Author Topic: Hynds family - Stevenston, Ayrshire  (Read 3777 times)

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hynds family - Stevenston, Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 June 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
Although it has been an age since your original posting, hopefully you are still monitoring this thread.
The following information is extracted from  http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/index1.php  Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald Intimation database and placed in chronological order.  Interestingly, the family surname is recorded as “HYND” with no “s”.
N.B. The date shown in the above database is NOT the date of occurrence but the Newspaper’s Date of issue in which the intimation was published.

Thomas Hynd passed late-September / early-October 1878 at Broomfield Cottage, Stevenson, aged 51 years. His Intimation was published in the 05th October 1878 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald

A William Hynd, described as the youngest son of the late Thomas Hynd, passed probably early February 1881 at Brookfield Cottage, Stevenson. His Intimation was published in the 12th February 1881 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald.

Isabella Fisher Hynd, wife of Dr James Armstrong Harris and daughter of Peter Hynd, died at London Temperance Hospital. Her Intimation was published in the 30th March 1928 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald. An English Death Certificate would clarify any confusion regarding the lady’s forename. The Intimation is at odds with subscriber “jonn”s advice dated 10 May 2009 where he notes the forename “Christina”.

As Peter Hynd’s Intimation was published in the 15th January 1904 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, he passed probably during the first two weeks of that month. The Intimation recorded his passing at Troon, aged 54 years and husband of Christina Watson. It did NOT refer to children, eg. ..... and father of ....., and NO Intimations were noted from same.

John Hynd, son of Peter Hynd of Troon (see immediately above) passed in South Africa probably late February / very early March 1929 as his Intimation was published in the 08th March 1929 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald.

James Hynd, son of Peter Hynd of Troon (see above) passed in Sydney, Australia probably early mid April 1938. His Intimation was published in the 22nd April 1938 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald.
N.B. James’ Death Certificate can be ordered from https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?8
James HYND, Registration Number 4379/1938, Father’s Given Name PETER, Mother’s Given Name CHRISTINA, Location NEWTOWN.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 June 20 04:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I’m still here, but been lazy lately, thank you for information, will peruse newspapers too as can all add to family tree.
Still looking for Isabella’s father Peter Fisher. His father John Fisher and Margaret Robertson according to his DC.
Thank you again as it helps to inspire me to continue on.
Annie

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 June 20 05:53 BST (UK) »
More info:
James Henry HYDE enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on 7th January 1916. The following is extracted from his enlistment and service documentation:
Unit: 3rd Field Company Engineers
Service No: 7005
Born: Troon, Scotland
Religion: Presbyterian
Postal Address: 24 Springside Street, Rozelle, NSW
NOK: Wife, Ethel HYDE, 24 Springside Street, Rozelle, NSW
Medals/Awards: 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.

During August 1918, his record reveals SIX entries relating to his right knee; five occurrences in France and one in England. The five must have been sufficiently serious to warrant his transfer to England where better treatment was available. He returned to Australia onboard His Majesty’s Australian Transport (HMAT) “MAMARI”, arriving 14th February 1919 and, two weeks later, was
“discharged from the AIF in consequence of medical unfitness”, “Invalid. Synovitis right knee, awaiting first available transport to 2MD” (2nd Military District).
Note: Synovitis is often the result of repeated joint bleeds that are not treated early or correctly. With synovitis, the synovial membrane thickens and grows more blood vessels, causing even more bleeding into the joint.  The 2nd Military District was an administrative district of the Australian Army that covered most of New South Wales, with its headquarters in Sydney.

q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, very interesting, love wee stories with people. So he came to Sydney, I am 200 Kms north of Sydney.  I have list of peters children, sounds like your line. Seems only Isabella, Peter, my line and Thomas USA line are the only people searching.  Do you have Isabella’s history, as I said her parents Peter and Christian Gowan’s have taken Ruth in USA and I some 20 years, but have just about decided Peter Fisher Snr was an only child. My Mother many years ago said, Peter was picked up in the gutter and the minister gave him his name. Well sounds just like an old man telling a story to his grandchildren to me, but we even tried to find a minister named Fisher in that area, but none. We think his mother married John Fisher, but years later married a George Robertson. Still looking.
Have noted all your comments re Hynd Family, let me know if you want any info re Fisher Family. Annie

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
Further info. A James Henry HYDE was buried in Stockton Cemetery, Fullerton Rd, Newton, NSW.
See here for headstone image:  https://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=6453806#images
Interestingly, his age is recorded as 62 Years ( DOB 1862?? ) which does not accord with his calculated DOB upon enlistment above. Did he, like so many others, falsify his age at enlistment OR is this a second James Henry HYDE?
N.B. The 3 letter trigraph “ACI” overlaid on the image indicates “Australian Cemeteries Index”.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 20 09:34 BST (UK) »
I think the Stockton cemetery you need is in Stockton, near newcastle, NSW, half an hours drive from me.
Have found James Henry Hynd, aged 62, died 5th June, 1954.
If you go onto findagrave, you need to register I think but otherwise free. Covers many countries. I have found lots of info on there as sometimes people add other information like siblings etc.
Think it’s is James, so he must have moved to newcastle in the Hunter Valley.
If you can’t get it email me and I will send copies.

Annie