Author Topic: Fromelles missing - William Wass  (Read 21851 times)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fromelles missing - William Wass
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 May 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaywit

Thanks for the link - I have looked at that previously for some of my own rellies but could not remember the actual web address so will check it out.

Crystal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 May 09 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi crystal lady and jaywit,

Many thanks, I think both of you will have much better chances to advance the search for William Wass than me, here in NSW. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 May 09 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

After days of fruitless searching and banging my head against a brickwall I have finally found something that may actually be useful - not one possible contact but 3 possible contacts   :) :)

After trawling the Wass family trees on A******y (and there are many of them!) I spotted one with an Arthur Wass b 1883, Windley, Derbyshire.  Further checking revealed that the tree may belong to a sibling of William's father - he has a Germain Wass in his tree but not much info.  I have contacted him and explained what we are doing etc and am just waiting for a reply now.  It may lead to nothing but German/Germain seemed a big coincidence? 

The same applied to GR - person has a Germain Wass in her tree, so message sent and waiting for a reply.

The last one is a message I found on C*****s  F*x - message left April 2008 asking for information about relatives of Sgt William Wass etc - this may not be a relative but someone like us trying help.  Anyway, I replied and will wait and see if anthing comes back.

3 possibles - I'm hoping that at least one of them will be able to help us.

I 'm also trying to sort out some marriages/births I've found - will post them when hopefully I've made sense of them!

Crystal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 May 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
This is grand news.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 May 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've had a reply from the A******y contact and it looks like we have a living descendent - just checking a few details to make sure and will them let you know for certain.  The guy I contacted has also been contacted by someone else looking for William, I've also contacted him to see what info he has.

Back soon

A very happy and elated Crystal  ;D

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 May 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've checked my info with the details given me by the A******y contact and it certainly seems to tally.  The contact is a descendant of Germain/German's brother so not a close relative but he has spent time today checking for us and has given me the details of a descendant of William's brother Herbert born 1877.  The info matches with one of the marriages I had found and I have details of a child from that marriage and then his child and also an address and phone number for this person.  My A******y contact has already spoken to him and he is willing to help us etc so I will PM Fedelmar with his details.  A******y contact has also asked me to keep him in touch with developements.

The other person looking for William turns out to be from the Great War Forum who have also been helping out - he guessed I was 'one of the Rootschat detectives on the case'  ;D

The only bothering me was the brother George mentioned in reply#9 by Fedelmar as I could find no mention of him anywhere - but my A******y contact does have a brother George b 1873, Windley, Derbyshire (sigh of relief).

I also have marriage details and children of another of Herbert's children - will also give those to Fedelmar for verification etc.  I'm still hoping that the GR contact will reply as this relates to another brother - Arthur b 1883.  These may be known by the relative but you know what families are.

Think thats all for now.

Crystal

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 May 09 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Just wondering if the GR contact mentioned in Crystal's post has made contact with Tim or Sandra?

JM

Offline SBRX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have also been looking for a descendent of William Wass and I am not sure if you are aware of a couple of interesting snippets. Firstly you may be aware that when he signed his Attestation papers to join the AIF he gave is age in 1914 as 30 +10 months and I believe he is listed as being killed in July 1916 aged 35? I have also found out to date he sailed from Sydney New South Wales on Transport A23 “Suffolk” on the 18th October 1914.
I am sure you are aware of the Fromelles dig which I was able to visit last week with my wife and will certainly hope to be present at the opening of the new cemetery next July and let’s hope we can get a descendent of Williams there as well. I would be grateful to receive further information and will continue to do appeals in the local press and radio stations. Regards and look forward to your reply. By the way I am totally new to this sort of thing but it is certainly fascinating work. 
 :)

Offline SBRX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot to mention his home address at time of embarkation is listed as Second –Street, Pelaw Main, N.S.W. and he was a Signaller Corporal when he embarked and is father is listed as G Wass, Anderston, near Derby , England which interestingly he crossed out on his Attestation papers and replaced with Chelaston, :) which is also near Derby. Regards.