Author Topic: One to get your teeth into William Henry Palmer/ Commander  (Read 3316 times)

Offline NicoC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
One to get your teeth into William Henry Palmer/ Commander
« on: Monday 21 February 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
OK here is one to get you thinking.. I am looking for my g.g.grandfather William Henry Palmer. There is a rumour that he was illegitimate as someone once found a bible of his with the name William Henry Commander in it. He was born roughly 1864 in Lickey End Bromsgrove. I (together with the help of the wonderful Paul E) have tracked him down in the 1891 & 1901 census living with his wife (Mary Jane Banner) in Lickey End.

However, I cannot find him before this- there is another William Henry Palmer born that year in Brimingham but he is not the right one because he died 10 years earlier and married someone else.

Right now to the good stuff, in the 1881 census I have found a William Henry Commanders born in Lickey End in 1864. He disappears after this and can't be found in 1891 or 1901!!!

I suspect that this is the right one but would like extra heads to look into it.. any thoughts you might have would be gratefully received!!

Here is the info I have from the censuses:

OK, have now found them on the 1901.

This is showing the following:

William PALMER, Head, 36, Builder
Jane PALMER, Wife, 35,
William PALMER, Son, 12,
Arthur PALMER, Son, 10,
Florence PALMER, Daur, 8
Harold PALMER, Son, 7
Doris PALMER, Daur, 7

all born Bromsgrove, Worcestershire and living in Lickey, North Bromsgrove.

I did a search on all female Palmers born in Bromsgrove in 1891 and came across Mary J PALMER as follows:

William H PALMER, Head, 26, Bricklayer's Labourer, Long Eye Worcs
Mary J PALMER, Wife, 25, Lickey, Worcs
John A PALMER, Son, 1, Lickey Worcs
William BRYSTON, Lodger, 23, Gardener, Cheltenham

living at Warren Lane, Lickey.

There are no Commanders showing in 1891 anywhere!

Dear Paul, Promise not stalking you, but you were so helpful before thought I would pick your brains!! Still no luck tracking down William Henry pre-1891 but found this in 1881:

Wm. COMMANDERS Head M Male 34 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Labourer (Farm)
Emily COMMANDERS Wife M Female 35 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Charwoman

Wm.H. COMMANDERS Son U Male 17 Bromsgrove   
, Worcester, England Nailmaker
Arthur COMMANDERS Son Male 8 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Scholar
Walter COMMANDERS Son Male 6 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Scholar
John COMMANDERS Son Male 3 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Harry COMMANDERS Son Male 2 m Bromsgrove, Worcester, England

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
Dwelling Lickey End
Census Place Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Family History Library Film 1341704
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2940 / 9
Page Number 9

He lives in the same place and has the name that was bandied around in my family, do you think he could be the one? And if so why would he change his name to Palmer???!!!!

In 1891 there are 2 William H Commanders shown as age 26 born Worcs: Wollaston and Kidderminster (under Commander rather than Commanders). These must be the ones who show in 1901.

There’s no sign of a ‘right age’ William H Commander/s born Bromsgrove in 1891 – but the Walter who is shown in 1881 is there, with his grandparents, aged 17, shown as born Bromsgrove (as Commander). William senior and Emma are shown as Commander, still in Bromsgrove.

In 1871, there’s nothing definitive: the two WH Commanders who show in 1891 and 1901 are there age 6. Not a scrap for any Commander/s born Bromsgrove.

It's worth noting that William Commanders Snr would have been 17 when William H was born (according to the 1881 census).

It could therefore be the case that he was living with his mother in 1871 but that as William Snr got established with a family he brought William to join him. As William Jnr 'came of age' he may have reverted to his mother's name. That is the only way you could explain absence of William Commander/s from 1871 / 1891 and 1901, and the absence of William H Palmer in 1881.

Many thanks Nicolette
Monmouthshire-Allcock,
Bromsgrove/ Bham- Palmer,
East Sussex- Barrow,
Somerset- Heal,
East Sussex- Beal,
Warwickshire- Commanders,
Bromsgrove-Banner,
Bham/ West bromwich- Hale,
Monmouth/ Hereford- Watkins,
Stffordshire- Street, Siddall,
Warwickshire/ Worcestershire- Pearcey,
Aberdeenshire- Gerrie
& ubiquitous Smith (Shropshire, Herefordshire & Stockton)!

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Snim02

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One to get your teeth into William Henry Palmer/ Commander
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicolette
I'm your relative! My great Grandfather was William Henry Palmer. I descend from his daughter Florence Palmer. Are you from her brother John Arthur Palmer's side of the family?
Would love to hear from you
Linda

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Welcome to rootschat. I note that Nicolette hasn't been on rootschat since 2011, but I have sent her a message so hopefully she will return soon.
Good luck.

Offline EmmaJ1005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather David Stanley Palmer born in Fulham area of London in 1926, had parents William & Mary as far as I am aware his family had a brickworks in the area, is this the same family?