Author Topic: Have you noticed this?  (Read 12582 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Have you noticed this?
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:24 BST (UK) »
Me and my brother were called Matthew Robert and Harry David-

Matthew Robert - because my parents liked the name Matthew and Robert is my grandfather's name.
Harry David - because my parents liked the name Harry and David is my father's name. He was not named after two of his great-grandparents (Harry Charles and John Harry) but this was pure coincidence.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
I have Louisa as a middle name after my great grandmother - and my sister has Rose after a gg aunt.

There's been a lot of name passing in my family, mr grandad is Allan which has been given to every generation for over 200 years. If I ever have a son his middle name will be Allan.

On the other side, I can't count how many were called William & Thomas, however my gg grandparents (after calling their eldest Thomas of course) then called the next Cecil Victor Henry. Not sure where that came from. Only one with more than one name as well.  ;D

I'm not really keen on the modern name trends of misspelling etc. Think when I have kids I'll stick to more traditional names!

I mean Jordan's daughter, Princess Tiami for gods take?!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
So they insisted on being Charlotte and Arthur to all the daughters and sons in law and grandchildren.

Eventually in family gatherings it was only my brother and me who called them Mum and Dad.

Our daughters-in-laws, partners etc. call us by our Christian names and our daughter and son call us Mum and Dad.  The problem is when I'm talking to a couple, I'll address my son for instance and say "Your Dad etc. etc." then I'll address my daughter-in-law and say "A did etc." it can become very confusing.

My eldest son, once he became about 16, always called his grandad Billy and many years later would call his grandmother Mary.  So when I talk about them to him it is always Mary and Billy, whereas when I'm talking to the other children it is their granddad and grandma.

Lizzie

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
As Rachel said "PRINCE"  how can one get away with a tile name, when not Royal?  My silly sister tried to add Prince into the name of her son (after the rock singer) But here in New Zealand it is not allowed.  So she dropped the 'e' of the end now the poor child has for his middle name PRINC.  Does sound rude don't you think?
I also like the old names.  Both of my children have good names and will not be called silly names at school.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
This snippet of information about some of my ancestors always makes me smile...

'Richard and his wife Alice ran the public house in 1828.  In 1858 their son John and his wife, also called Alice, moved into the pub with their sons Tom, Dick, Bob and Harry'...

... not just any old Tom, Dick or Harry... these were Bob's brothers ;D ;D ;D

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
My silly sister tried to add Prince into the name of her son (after the rock singer) But here in New Zealand it is not allowed

That sounds a bit draconian, as many people give children a family surname as one of their forenames, and "Prince" is not uncommon as a surname.  What exactly is not allowed?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Prince is not a family name for us.  The record office must of known this and as I said before  title name's are not allowed.
With New Zealand being under the CommonWealth is another reason.
I wonder how people do get along when they have Prince as a family name then want to add it back into a child's hyphenated surname?  I should think they would be able to use the name as the record office will have all the information to prove this.
Unlike my sister who just wanted the name from a music singer.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
My mum and her sisters have names "from a certain generation" as I call it... Maureen, Sylvia and Wendie. You don't really see those names around any more... and mum hates her name.

Me? People say I've got a nice name and I didn't mind it until I really got going on the internet. Now I use several different usernames and no one online calls me by my real name, so I've ended up with somewhat of an identity crisis.

I don't know about children. I will be adopting when I'm in a position to do so, so the chances are my kids will come with their own names. If I did name them myself though, I've got some ideas for names... Elizabeth Caitlin, Evelyn Victoria, Carys May (all real names so far, lol) Fianna Lilie (Lilie being my g-g and g-g-g-grandmothers) and Isabelle Rose. I don't expect to have more than five, ha ha, but I quite like Mia and Aurélie too. We'll have to wait and see ;)

My most notible ancestry names are Septimus HINE (sounds painful...) Absolom RICHARDS, Nehemiah and Zephemiah (can't remember the surname) and Theodosia JONES.