Author Topic: Have you noticed this?  (Read 12591 times)

Offline mother25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have you noticed this?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
My ancestors seemed to favour naming the first-born for the father/mother, and that was carried on with my grandparents and my parents  ::)
There were a lot of Samuel, John, Charles, Richard for the boys and Sarah, Jane, Emma, Emily for the girls in the 'old days'  :) 
My eldest is Elizabeth and would never answer to anything but her full name. However her hubby started calling her 'Liz' and that is what she's known as now.
I agree that some names can date a person, and I often wonder what someone called Apple will think of her parents when she's 90 years old  :)

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
My ancestors seemed to favour naming the first-born for the father/mother, and that was carried on with my grandparents and my parents  ::)
There were a lot of Samuel, John, Charles, Richard for the boys and Sarah, Jane, Emma, Emily for the girls in the 'old days'  :) 
My eldest is Elizabeth and would never answer to anything but her full name. However her hubby started calling her 'Liz' and that is what she's known as now.
I agree that some names can date a person, and I often wonder what someone called Apple will think of her parents when she's 90 years old  :)

LOL I hit the 1911 cencus all excited and looking for my Nanas family .............and ended up more confused than when I started!
Gt-grandma had a lot of children, and by 1911 almost all of them had married & had children............All around the same ages  and they all seem to have liked the same names - I had to print them out just to get them all straight in my head, and each 'duplicated' child has had to have his/her parents name next to theirs on my tree programme or  just end up confused!
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 May 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
My GG parents had 10 children and must have been short of ideas since they had an Anne and an Annie, a John and a Jonathan, what is worse is that through Census and BMD the Anne and Annie seemed to swap and on one record one of them is Anna. My Mother was Catherine Annie, so I am sure Grandmother was the Annie.

Not only that, the GG grandfather had a cousin with the same name as him ,Peter. Both Peters children had the same names although the cousin only had six chidren. It makes it hard for us poor researchers.

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
In my OH's family tree there are multiples of Henry, Isabella, Naomi, Stanley, Herbert ... but my late father-in-law was the ninth of eleven ... and by the time they got to him, I think they must have run out of either names or imagination.

He was baptised Alfred Frederick.  So ... he was Fred Fred.  :-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
My brother and oldest son share the same christian name, Anthony, my son gets very upset if anyone tries to call him Tony and my brother is the same if anyone tries to call him Anthony, he insists on being called Tony  ??? ???
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Very interesting.

Well I have a few different ways to spell names.  My neice is a Nyomi not Naomi.  Her children Asia Leigh, Madisun not Madison and a Elijah which I think comes from the bible
And thank God my grandmother was a Cecelia, no other member in her family was called this, and this has made record finding for her so easy, even if her name had some strange spelling on some certs.
Just feel sorry for those little one's named after fruit or a day of a week.
What actress named her child Sunday Rose? Sounds like Sunday Roast.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
And you can often get a good idea of the age of a person by their name.

Goodness... I hope not :o... the earliest date (so far!) that I have found my name appearing in the family was in 1789!

Presently, there are three of us (a cousin once removed and a 1st cousin), who have the same family forename and my 1st cousin and I also share the same middle name!  Our first name was that of my grandmother... who was named after her grandmother... who, surprisingly, was named after her grandmother...

The name seems to have been passed down another branch of G.Grandmother's family too... so there's plenty of us now ;D ;D ;D... but I'm not telling... 'cos Ruskie might just guess how old I really am!! ;)

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother didn't want any of her daughters getting nicknames, so she christened them with short names like Ina, Ada and May.  She didn't mind that her sons got nicknames, so they had longer names.

Dora

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomasina in 1557, the 4th child of my 10 x g.grandfather.  I thought it was a modern thing to "feminise" a male name.  Oddly he had two sons who didn't take his name and a daughter before this 4th child.  Neither girls took their mother's name either.

I have an Abigail in 1584 and an Arabella in 1825 - I thought they were modern names.

Incidentally my OH was introduced to the children of someone the other day.  She is called Annabella, but has called her sons Arthur and Frank.  What is it with these middle class people that they have to give their children working class names?

Lizzie