Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8  (Read 28529 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer 8
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven, although you have now signed off.

Very many thanks, I have now decided that I will def stay with IE7 as I am quite happy with it so there is no reason to cause myself possible problems.

I am so pleased I asked!

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
IE8 has a IE7 compatability mode, which can be turned on an off by clicking an icon, and it remembers the setting for that site.

It's not so much a case of "Does IE8 work with xxxx site ?" - its more a case of "Is xxxxx site well enough written to work with the latest browser ?" .   Microsoft warned site owners last year that a new browser was coming, and that site owners should check their site coding to ensure that it worked properly.  Some site owners didn't heed the warning.

I have IE8, and there is only one site that I visit on a regular basis that has a problem that isn't fixed by the compatability button, and that is Ancestry.  This problem isn't major, it just means that entering or editing the place of birth for a person causes a problem when entering the first few characters, but it works if you persist.  This is the one and only problem that I have with IE8, and given the great features that it has that are not on IE7, I'm content to live with it, and hope that Ancestry gets its act together soon, and rectifies the problems with its site coding.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick and Selina

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I was aware of the compatibility mode button.     But I can assure you - myself and all those other people on the vista forums could do nothing to remove these incompatibility problems.   Tweaking security buttons, system restore, etc, etc.

Apart from the copy and paste, email and other  issues mentioned earlier with most applications, the biggest problem with Ancestry was not entering search names on the site, but a complete inability to download any images.  This was not just with Ancestry either, I couldn‘t download images from other sites too.

I am glad your download of IE8 works for you and you like it.   But my experience was quite the opposite.   It is of note that Microsoft itself introduced the link to uninstall IE8.  (This link came from a pop up after unsuccessful attempts to open attachments in emails) .

There was some talk that Microsoft has released IE8 a little too early and that is why quite a few of us had these problems.   My computer maker and Ancestry blame Microsoft and I expect Microsoft would blame the websites. 

All I want is for my computer to work properly!!

Selina, I managed to get back to IE7 and everything is still working great.   Am keeping Firefox though as I like it better.     Apparently you can download any browser you like, but the Microsoft one has to stay in the background and be updated. 

Steven 
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Well, since I'm using IE8 and I can download images from both Ancestry and other web sites with no problems whatsoever, I think it must be apparent that the problem isn't purely down to IE8 - it must be something else working in conjunction with it. 

I think the word Vista [spit] may be something to do with this ?  I'm using XP, and will continue to do so until I hear some good reports about Windows 7  ;)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick

Yes, that is why you don't have so many problems, I read this too.

IE8 seems to work better with XP

Not with Vista is seems!!   

Great isn't it - not.   

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 May 09 20:46 BST (UK) »

IE8 seems to work better with XP

Steven

Well, in my case it did not work with my XP as mentioned in the attached thread.    I am happy with my IE7 for the time being.

KHP

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 May 09 20:57 BST (UK) »

I use Vista and downloaded IE8 as soon as it was available and quite honestly, touch wood, I have not experienced a problem so far.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
It looks like some a lucky and some are not!

I will hang on to what works for me for the time being anyway.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
PC World or Jack Schofield's computer column in the Guardian said there were serious compatability problems with IE8 and XP. Linux systems, including Ubuntu which I am playing with and may well switch my laptop to when Windows 7 comes use Firefox, with no compatability problems, and of course no need to have IE running in the background.Less prone to spam and viruses too!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)