Author Topic: Old Stockport marriage register: Fernley, 1788  (Read 1383 times)

Offline AndreTheGeek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Stockport marriage register: Fernley, 1788
« on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Could someone with access to old marriage registers look something up for me?

According to IGI, Thomas Fernley (aka Fearnley) married Ann Paulden on 9 July 1788 at St. Mary's Stockport.

Thomas is a brick wall for me, and I would love to know what the marriage register said - i.e. who their fathers were and anything else on them. Thomas was born about 1768 to 1771.

If anyone could do this I would appreciate it very much. It is difficult for me to get this information from Canada.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Stockport marriage register: Fernley, 1788
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi AndreTheGeek,

I can confirm from a separate source the date and location of the marriage.  The registers at this time did not normally record the names of the parents of the bride and groom.  You may find that there is possibly an occupation for the groom and that the witnesses might help.

As you have the exact date you could email Cheshire Records Office for the details of the entry, or order a copy of the parish entry - you can do this online for a small fee:
http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/record_office/online_shop.aspx

Hope this helps,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline AndreTheGeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jean. I will do just that!

Andre

Offline Jleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
Re: Kenneth Eaton
Hi Andre.
I was not able to respond to your PM because of Rootschat limitations as I am new to this forum. I believe I must post 3 times to be able to use the PM option.  Thanks so much for reaching out. I do remember you and your brother very well from your visit to Montserrat.
I am also working on my family tree and trying to discover the dates in which my grandparents, Annie nee Sewell, originally from Birmingham England,  and George Patrick Eaton immigrated to Canada. I have found  a little information about the Eaton side of the family. You mentioned that you have Eaton relatives also in Ontario. That is a coincidence. My grandparents lived on Greenwood Ave in Toronto after they came from Toronto.
Hope you find this response.
Janice