Author Topic: Fromelles missing - Joseph Scott  (Read 6858 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Fromelles missing - Joseph Scott
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Perhaps the following may be the Birth registration for this lad:
Joseph SCOTT, 4th quarter of 1882, at South Shields, Vol 10a, page 754.
That would support his age on enlistment in Sept 1915 as being 33 years 0 months.

Still searching,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 May 09 01:39 BST (UK) »
Bit More

Thanks to Billy's heads up re those family history sites,  the first one led me to find the link below where I have noticed a number of possible marriages:

IF Joseph's parents were Robert and Mary, then perhaps their marriage was celebrated in 1873, when a Robert SCOTT married a Mary HARDY. 

If Joseph's parents were John and Jane then perhaps their marriage was celebrated in 1872 when a John SCOTT married a Jane BYRON, or in a different listing (again in 1872) when a John SCOTT married a Jane A Burn. 

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/msearch.nsf/msearch?openform  - there are many possibilities found on this link, those listed above are just those that I think may be among the most likely, - remembering that I am NSW Australia based and have no real understanding of the "geography" aspects of those UK counties. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 May 09 04:05 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Just wondering for the details on this snip of part of one of 45 pages from Joseph Scott's enlistment records would support the RNR clues, as the marks noted may refer to tattoos perhaps? Not sure of several of the words,  - this is part of the Health inspection Joseph Scott undertook on 5 Sept 1915, and is where I first noticed his exact age.

I think the "Distinctive Marks" column reads
4 vaccina . . on marks on
left arm  .  (possibly "&" or alternatively a medical symbol indicating the course of injections perhaps  ???  ???
Crucifix on front of left Forearm
Crossed hands with woman
head alone on right arm
Crucif . . . tion also on fron . . Ship
Clasped hands and initial JS

Perhaps those "tattoo" markings may help with the R. N. R. suggestions.   

Still searching

JM

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 May 09 11:09 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Just wondering for the details on this snip of part of one of 45 pages from Joseph Scott's enlistment records would support the RNR clues, as the marks noted may refer to tattoos perhaps? Not sure of several of the words,  - this is part of the Health inspection Joseph Scott undertook on 5 Sept 1915, and is where I first noticed his exact age.

I think the "Distinctive Marks" column reads
4 vaccina . . on marks on
left arm  .  (possibly "&" or alternatively a medical symbol indicating the course of injections perhaps  ???  ???
Crucifix on front of left Forearm
Crossed hands with woman
head alone on right arm
Crucif . . . tion also on fron . . Ship
Clasped hands and initial JS

Perhaps those "tattoo" markings may help with the R. N. R. suggestions.   

Still searching

JM

4 Vaccination marks on Arm.
Hi all.
Where from here?
Do we get in touch with above Family History soc.
JM,
Google earth is a good way to see these English counties.
Do we stop and take stock of the progress,in roads being made slowly,
kind regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 May 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Yes, I think you are right about pausing and taking stock.  Being based in NSW Aust, and with such little prior need to have researched late 19th and early 20th Cent families in the UK (all my forebears were in Aust by 1880's - some as early as 1817 and my OH's were here by 1850's) I really do not know how to advance any further on Joseph Scott.

There are several very good leads here on this thread, but they are all in need of locally based UK RChatters considerations.

OH and I will simply move onto another of the Fromelles missing, AIF enlisted, but born outside of Australia.

Still searching,

JM

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 October 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
I've picked up the baton and have had a new look at this man's tree.

From what I can see on the 1911 census and the BMD. his sister Isabella Scott b 1880 married Herbert Walter Scott in 1904 and their children were:-

Florence May Scott b 1905 Dec qtr,
John Leslie Scott Sep qtr 1908 b 2 Aug 1908 d Durham W, Aug 1993
Dora Scott b 1910

all in Helmington Way, Auckland District, Co Durham

There are a number of other Scotts with mother's maiden name Scott born in the Auckland District from 1911 onwards including Mary J Scott 1912 and another in 1913, however because of the frequency of Scotts marrying Scotts it is impossible to know if any of these later Scotts with mother's maiden name Scott are relevant.

None of these births appear on Free Reg.

I think the Mordue line died out but will need to recheck.

Best,

Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK