Author Topic: Medical Classification  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medical Classification
« on: Sunday 10 May 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the medical classification - C (11) two - means?    The husband of a great great aunt was discharged in WW1 and this is on his papers.  Thanks Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Classification
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Evelina are you sure it was a Medical discharge...does it actually say that in his discharge papers?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol:- 2 things here. 

On Table 111. - Boards; etc.  Recommended for immediate discharge by No2 travelling medical board.

On Statement of Services.  Discharged as not likely to become an efficient soldier. (I think this is what it says).

Went in 10-12-1915 and left 25-8-1916.

Evelina

Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 09 11:16 BST (UK) »
Do you have all the pages...I have one like this and it goes on to give the reason why my rellie would not make a regular soldier due to an old ankle injury..I haven't been able to find anything yet I'm afraid...maybe a post on the Armed Forces board would be better...they are very knowledgeable :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Could you post the offending bit of his service record and we can have a look for you! ;D

There were three basic levels of fitness...A, B and C, with levels 1,2 and three within.

C(2) is near the bottom of the pile and would  be neither use nor ornament to the Army...

The paperwork will help us sort out what was actually the problem, and under which part of kings regulations he was discharged...Medically or Service No longer Required type of thing!

;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
Here are 2 of the pages concerned, 3rd one in next post as it appears you can only upload 2 images at a time.  Cheers Evelina

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 08:35 BST (UK) »
3rd image and a pic of Martin. You will note he was 38 at the time, could this be a cause, too old and possibly unfit? Evelina  ???

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
Here's the classification - not sure whether it helps or hinders.

Sue

A     Able to march, see to shoot, hear well and stand active service conditions.
Subcategories
:

A1    Fit for despatching overseas, as regards physical and mental health, and training
A2    As A1, except for training
A3    Returned Expeditionary Force men, ready except for physical condition
A4    Men under 19 who would be A1 or A2 when aged 19

B    Free from serious organic diseases, able to stand service on Lines of Communication in France, or in garrisons in the tropics.
Subcategories
:

B1    Able to march 5 miles, see to shoot with glasses, and hear well
B2    Able to walk 5 miles, see and hear sufficiently for ordinary purposes
B3    Only suitable for sedentary work

C    Free from serious organic diseases, able to stand service in garrisons at home. Subcategories:

C1    As B1
C2    As B2
C3    As B3

D    Unfit but could be fit within 6 months.
Subcategories
:

D1    Regular RA,RE, infantry in Command Depots
D2    Regular RA,RE, infantry in Regimental Depots
D3    Men in any depot or unit awaiting treatment
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period