Author Topic: Arrival of SPEARPOINT family.  (Read 9803 times)

Offline steph-ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival of SPEARPOINT family.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 May 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
 :)    Hi Listers,
Can anyone help me please with a     

Ronald James SPEARPOINT, b +- 1927. 

I have found several electoral/voters list entries which 'might' be him, in Qld and W.A. plus a death 5/77 in W.A.   Other than that, he is a mystery man.  Oh and I did find a poosible engagement for him...

SOURCE : The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Saturday 3 July 1954, pge 18
SPEARPOINT – BENNETTS The engagement is announced of Noela Mary, younger daughter of Mrs B Bennetts and the late Mr M Bennetts, Kalinga,, to Ronald Arthur, only son of Mr and Mrs J Spearpoint, Manly, Sydney.

Oh and Noela seems to be a mystery person too.... 

Any help appreciated.
Steph. :-)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 May 15 05:05 BST (UK) »
Ronald Arthur SPEARPOINT was born c1931 as he was 45 years of age at the time of his death on 12 Dec 1976.
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KC00053101

If you wish to know more you will need to purchase his death certificate.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steph-ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 May 15 05:12 BST (UK) »

THANKS Cando.    Either his death (assuming whoever reg the death knew his age), or the +- birth year (I have a BC for a child with his age as 25 in 1952) that I have could be wrong, am hoping for someone who 'knows' of this person.  Not prepared to buy a DC at this point in time, but maybe as a last resort.  Thanks again Cando.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 May 15 05:21 BST (UK) »
He was enrolled to vote living at the same address as a person who was either his wife or sister.

I will pm her current contact details.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bronzewing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,  I am the granddaughter of Frederick Spearpoint born 1884.  His children were Cecil, John (known as Jack), Frederick, James,  Alice (my mother), Ernie and Betty.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am so sorry I did not see your reply until earlier today.

Fredericks mother Caroline Isabella was the daughter of Robert Thomas Cogan ( variety of spelling) and Caroline Lloyd. Caroline Lloyd was born 11 Sept 1821 to Charles Lloyd and his wife Elizabeth.
 Some trees on Ancestry have his wife as Sarah Spicer they are wrong. It's possible Elizabeth is Elizabeth Glenn.
 Caroline Lloyd had a sister Elizabeth who married John Cooper whose first wife Lydia had died. Eliza sister Martha Lovelock nee Lloyd was a witness. Eliza has a daughter Martha Eliza. When Eliza dies John married his sister in law Martha.
 Martha Eliza married George  Richard Liscoe and they are my great great grand parents.

It's been a while since I have looked at this line but if you have any questions or would like details please let me know

Best wishes

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bronzewing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Tazzie

Thank you so much for your reply, it was great to see it this morning.  Using the information you provided, combined with mine, I have been able to work out that Caroline Isabella Cogan & her husband are my great grandparents and Caroline & Robert Thomas Cogan are my great great grandparents. 

Frederick married Madeline Alice Wilson on 17 April 1907 and on the marriage certificate his father's christian name is listed as John.  This is confusing because I have a handwritten list of names, dates etc. that Frederick's daughter Betty, my aunt, wrote out for me and I have assumed his name was Ingram - maybe John Ingram.  She copied it word for word from the front pages of his Bible which is now in the possession of one of my two cousins.  I also cannot quite figure out how many siblings Frederick had.

Frederick passed away May 29, 1969 and Madeline April 9, 1932. I'm not sure if you know but Frederick and Madeline are buried in the same grave, next to their daughters Alice (my Mum) and Betty at Macquarie Park Cemetry, North Ryde in Sydney.   Caroline Isabella, who I had been told was quite formidable, is buried about 4 or 5 rows away.  My husband and myself visit quite regularly with flowers and do some maintenance but due to covid restrictions haven't been since May.

I had seen a reference to Euroka Street in one of the posts - that is where Frederick moved to after Madeline died and it is the house that I grew up in.  He worked on the Sydney Ferries for many years and unfortunately had an accident that led to retiring early because he lost a leg - I don't know the full story.  Grandfather never spoke of his siblings in my presence but I do know that there were relatives in Sydney at one time. 

I have a photo of Frederick on his wedding day, it's a copy of the original which I store separately because it's fairly fragile now.  I also have a photo of Madeline, which is the only one I have ever seen of her but it is the original.

If you want to write again, it would be lovely to hear from you.

Best wishes and stay safe
Bronwyn