Author Topic: Auty and Ruddock, Tynemouth 1871-3  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Auty and Ruddock, Tynemouth 1871-3
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Oh-Dear again....You meant the photo to be restored....I am very sorry to have mistaken you.....I am not used to this site and its purposes. Thanks for the offer...I would love to see it in a good grey-scale restoration. Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Oh that was just an expression L.J. I can see she's real ;D ;D
That's really exciting.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
here is a restore keeping the original color

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
and a different version

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Auty and Ruddock, when did they get together?
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Irene.....they are really great restorations! Now to find her....I was hoping that the reference number on the back of the photo would help with dating. Also does anyone know when Auty got together with Ruddock? In the 1871 he is a lodger , tobacconist at Albert Place, Elswick, Newcastle, Newcastle On Tyne; in 1881 he is married to Elizabeth and is a tobacconist living at 18, Edith Street, Tynemouth; in 1891 a Matthew Aunty ( his wife) is one of 40 boarders and a photographer at Hydropathie, Hexham . He seems to have fallen on hard times. Lumber-Jack 
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
And I guess to keep an open mind we have assumed that the baby is a girl....any views on that? Thanks, Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
The seated artist  was an early - mid 1890's design.The photo with the baby in this large hat was also an 1890's style.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim , that is very helpful. This must mean that Auty joined forces with Ruddock at 20 Front Street shortly after 1891 and moved from Hexham unless a junior Auty took over the trade. Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline elamap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My father, Henry Benjamin Whitehead, was proprietor of Auty Studios, Front Street, Tynemouth throughout the 1950's.  He took over the business a couple of years after he returned from being a POW in Burma after the 2nd World War. He remained running Auty Studios until the early 60's, sold up & started a new photography business in South Shields & continued working until the age of 72 before selling the business & retiring.
Sadly, Dad is no longer with us as he died in 2005 at the age of 87.
I have many photos which he'd held on to from first taking over Auty Studios in Tynemouth.  Some are definitely late Victorian era. 
You're probably aware that Auty Studios, into the 20th century & the advent of the airplane became ariel photographers & were one of the forerunners in aeriel landscape postcards.
We have an old  booklet that was published a long time ago (long before my Dad took the studio over) on Auty Studios somewhere stored up in the loft.  I will attempt to find out to see if I can get any more information.