Author Topic: Fromelles missing - CURRAN (b NSW, enlisted Brisbane)  (Read 33176 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Fromelles missing - CURRAN (b NSW, enlisted Brisbane)
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 May 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

From NSW BDM online and from NSW State Archives Online

28349/1941 Catherine Curran, registered at Waverley, possible name of father Murphy (not sure if first or surname).  This was most likely Catherine Curran whose probate as per online index shows date of death as 30/10/1941 and probate granted 09/01/1941

14014/1943 James Joseph Curran, registered at Wollongong, showing father as James and mother as Ellen.  This was most likely James Joseph Curran whose probate as per online index shows date of death as 06/04/1943 and probate granted 11/06/1943. 

There is nothing online to indicate that either of these two people even know each other, or were connected to the Lad who fell at Fromelles. 

Just Moi.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Auimfo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 May 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
1913 Electoral Roll sighting for Joseph James CURRAN in Brisbane, Queensland   

The image is distorted as the roll seems to be tightly bound, but

Seat of Oxley, polling place of Brisbane South.

Line 510.  This is an alphabetical list by surname, the distorted letter MUST be the First letter "C"
I can read only last four letters of surname, which seems to be six letters long.... This can only be CURRAN, and I read .  .  rran, Joseph James, Melbourne Hotel, S.B.. (not sure what S.B.. means), barman.

Still searching.

JM

S.B. - I suspect it stands for 'South Brisbane'.    :)

Cheers,
Tim L.
Fromelles Descendant

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 May 09 17:22 BST (UK) »

S.B. - I suspect it stands for 'South Brisbane'.    :)

Cheers,
Tim L.

It does indeed. 8)

My Ggrandparents lived near the pub and I used to visit it. Just looked it up on the web and it has certainly changed!
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 May 09 01:06 BST (UK) »
Just Wondering,

Is it likely that the young siblings who arrived NSW on the Glamis in 1881 would have also been the ones found on those 1903 rolls  -
CURRAN   Frank   12 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1869   
CURRAN   Hugh   16 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1865   
CURRAN   Kate   16 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1865 WAS SHE TWIN TO HUGH ?   
CURRAN   Grace   20 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1861   
CURRAN   James   20 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1861 WAS HE TWIN TO GRACE   
CURRAN   Ellen   21 on 1881 arrival ie born abt 1860   

And, was Frank Curran on 1903 roll at Wee Waa heading towards Queensland - Wee Waa is on route to the NSW QLD border.

Thanks for explanation re S.B.  - yes, I have checked the image, and can see that the address would have over-run that line if "South Brisbane" had been typed in full, so S.B. would be very sensible abbreviation to put on the roll - 1903 polling clerks would have immediately known what it meant.

Still searching,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 May 09 04:30 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

As Joseph James CURRAN enlisted in Qld, could the following Qld birth be for a female sibling or cousin perhaps  ??? 
Unfortunately as I am NSW based, I do not have a good understanding of the Qld system .  The following is online index

1887/C5742 Curran Mary,   Joseph (her father) and Catherine Mullan (her mother showing nee name)

Perhaps as the Fromelles-missing lad was also Joseph and as his mum was Kate  :-\

Still searching

JM

Offline Auimfo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 May 09 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.....

Names all seem to make sense but the only thing that concerns me is that Mary was born in Qld the same year that Joseph was born in NSW.

I know it's possible but.........

This Curran one is doing my head in!

Cheers,
Tim L.
Fromelles Descendant

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 May 09 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

The Joseph Curran who worked at the Melbourne Hotel was probably the one who lived at Dock Street South Brisbane NOK mother Elizabeth Curran.  He returned to Austrralia 1919.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 May 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

How about this scenario as a wild guess with not much evidence to support it.   ::) ::) ::)

My money would be on Kate Curran being the one born in Maitland in 1869 and who died at Brewarrina.  She seems to have had a defacto relationship with John Henry Nolan (born 1872 Maitland).  He was charged with murder at Inverell c 1880 but released through lack of evidence.  Kate gave him an alibi at the time.  I think Joseph Curran born at Maitland could be their son and he is also the Joseph Curran who was droving into Queensland.  His fiance is working in Maryborough Queensland at the time of his enlistment.  She says in her letter that his mother was deceased. 

Joseph Curran is listed as James Joseph Curran on the ADFA WW1 project.  ADFA notes that his mother had not been notified of his death as she could not be found.  Was this because she had predeceased her son??    It would be very interesting to see who gave the information on her death certificate.  A John Henry Nolan died in 1936 at Granville aged 83 years.  Age does not fit in with above J H Nolan born in 1872.   

Hope some of this wild speculation is of assistance.

Andcarred

Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 May 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
I must say I agree with the last post.
Catherine Curran born in Maitland daughter of Michael and Ann.
Has a son Joseph born in Maitland.
She is at Coonamble near Dubbo in 1914 when her son enlists.
Cath Curran dies at Brewarrinna in 1915.

Have a look at a map and see where these towns are, seems too close to be coincidence. [ If you can call those outback towns close]
 I wonder if anyone in officialdom is willing to come up with some birth and death certificates for these people in order to track them down. Then you wouold know if there was any siblings either of Cath or of Joseph.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.