Author Topic: Somervilles of Ballyhannon/Portadown  (Read 35902 times)

Offline mscbl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Somervilles of Ballyhannon/Portadown
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in your information on the Somervilles. I have just obtained the marriage certificate for Henry Somerville and Caroline Brown dated 1st November 1854. The certificate records Pierce Somerville, farmer, as Henry's father and Terence Brown, weaver, as Caroline's father. Mary Somerville, their youngest daughter, is my great grandmother. Your aunt Helen is my grandmother's cousin. I would love to know more about the Somervilles and Browns.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused about the timing of Somervilles.  There have been Pierce Somervilles in Ballydougan since mid 1700's.  One died 1758 (no location listed) and was old enough to have a will.  He probably had a son Pierce as PRONI lists a Pierce there in 1769.  That Pierce may be the one who died in 1816.    The Pierce we are talking about was still having children at that point, so it is not he.  There is a George d. 1841, John d. 1846, and earlier Nicholas d. 1778 and Thomas d. 1728 nearby in Ballynagarrick. 

There also is a Pierce in Ballygargin who probably had daughter Jane "Sommeral" who married John Jones of Lisnamintry in 1824.

The Warwickshire link sounds very firm,  but the number of Pierces in the area makes me wonder if the family has been in the area longer.  Do you have more information on early Somervilles? 

Also
Was Mary Somerville who married Alexander Chambers a second wife?  Was Alexander previously married to Elizabeth Chambers? 

Offline mscbl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Alexander Chambers was a bachelor of about 43 when he married Mary Somerville who would have been about 23.

Offline william Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 August 09 07:03 BST (UK) »
I am afraid my great aunt annie's notes about the ancestry of her father, Henry, are limited to the paragraph I have quoted. However she had a detailed knowledge of her own generation and I will get the remainder of her notes up asap.

Perhaps there were already relatives in Ireland that prompted the three brothers to go there. The Warwickshire and Irish locations would broadly fit with the patterns of Huguenot immigration in the 18th century.

Anecdotally their horse selling business was driven by demand during the Napoleonic wars so this could frame a time when they moved to Ireland.

Offline william Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 August 09 04:47 BST (UK) »
I now have a PDF of Aunt Annie's 1937 notes on the descendants of Henry Somerville and Caroline Brown but it is 1800 KB which exceeds the maximum attachment size of 500 KB. Is there an easy way around this problem so I can make them available to anyone who is interested? It sheds quite a lot of light on some of the questions raised in this topic including listing all 10 children of Pierce (who included Henry George and Pierce in whom we seem most interested) and the 18, 9 and 8 children these three sons respectively produced.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 August 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
If anyone is interested in the information they can contact you by PM with their email address so you can send it to them that way.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Macka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 January 10 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Somerville researchers. I am a Johhny come lately and don't have anything to contribute but I hope that I can learn a lot.
I joined in the Gilpin forum as my first post and discovered your saga.
My g g Grandfather was Richard Gilpin whose daughter Elizabeth 1855- 20/12/1923 in Rockhampton Queensland Australia married Youngston Somerville in I thought in 1877 when she was 22 according to her death cer t which I have a copy of.A  family researcher thought she had gone to Canada and when Youngston died she came to Qld Australia in June 1908. Did she stay in Armagh and then came out to join her brother Richard in Queensland.
With help from the Armagh forum I find she married Thomas Emmerson first in 1877 then Youngston in 1886.
Youngston born 1834 dying in 1907 was first married to Elizabeth Dynes in 1855.

I hope I have this correct. Wud u be able to help me with the Somerville line.

KatC did u have a copy of that marriage cert that showed Richard Gilpin as father in law. or anyone?

Any info on the Gilpins and Youngston S and his line wud be greatly appreciated.

this is my first foray into the message boards and the Irish Records the help has been fantastic.
Thanks Macka

Offline pdavison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Dav
Regarding your question on 12 of May. I'm sorry to say that I have nothing to offer you. I'm not researching the Somervilles of Balyhannon. My question is about something that you said in your first statement about Hannah Somerville and John Davison. I am researching the Davison's of Ballygargan and I have a realative by the name of Mary Jane Davison who married Alexander Davison in 1882. The 2 witnesses were a Hannah Sumerville and John Davison.
You said that Hannah and John immegrated to Canada in 1882and the 1901 Canadian Census shows that Mary Jane and Alexander Davison also immegrated to Canada in 1882.
I wonder if both couples left together? Or is this just some wild coincedence?
Mary Jane and Alexander married in early May. Do you know when Hannah and John emigrated from Ireland? I hope to go to ottawa to look through passenger lists in the hopes that I might find Mary and Alexander. After reading your post I was thinking that I might start with the same time period as when Hannah and John arrived.
I know that it may sound a bit far fetched but I have a six month period to cover if I want to find my couple and any little bit that might help me is much appreciated.
Thanks
Pdavison
T

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Back to Henry of Ballyhannon
Seagoe Cemetery  first is  hard to read, I think this is correct

Erected by Simon Somerville

Ballyhanon? in affectionate remembrance of his mother Eleanor Somerville who departed this life May 185(8?)  aged 42 years
Also his father Henry Somerville who departed this life 19th Nov 1872 aged 66 years
Also his daughter Miriam Somerville who departed this life 27th July 18(7?)8 aged 16 years
Also his wife Mary Jane Somerville who departed this life 4th of March 1811 (probably means 1911 and the 11 is unclear) aged 60 years
Also the above named Simon Somerville who died 20th Nov 1926 aged 77 years

Next to it is
In loving memory of George Somerville of Ballydougan
died 19th July 1916
His wife Rachel died  10th Aug 1945
Their daughters Annie and Etna
Also their sons Howard and Norman

of interest is this which was farther away

In Loving Memory of Dorothy Caroline Born Melbourne Dec 8th, 1906 
Departed this life Nov 9, 1961
Also E. Vivian Somerville
born Manchester Aug 8th, 1906 Died Oct 17, 1981