Author Topic: Somervilles of Ballyhannon/Portadown  (Read 35894 times)

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Somervilles of Ballyhannon/Portadown
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, ( Hi Kat - Hope you had a Good Christmas :-))

The Mary Jane Fitzsimmons mentioned is a sister of my Great Great Grandmother Catherine Fitzsimmons.  Mary Jane's parents were Robert Fitzsimmons and Mary Erwin/Irwin. They hailed from Moyraverty Townland.   Mary Jane Fitzsimmons was my  2nd great grand aunt. 

Regards,
Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 February 11 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pdavison
sorry in taking so long in getting back to you.
I don't know if I can be of much help to you but this is what I have.

Hannah Sumerville married John Davison on the 16/05/1882 in the parish church of Segoe
John's father was Alexander Davison, Hannah's father was Pierce Somerville
witness's were Joseph Henry Davison and Margaret McKinney
Hannah and John went to Canada sometime in 1882 or 1883 as their first child Wellington Davison was b on the 31/05/1883 at Northwood Ontario Canada another 3 children were born in York County Ontario I am not sure where that is in relation to Northwood.
John and Hannah went to Cleveland Ohio in about 1895 as their youngest child was born there in 1896, John died 1940 and Hannah died in 1939 both in Cleveland
sorry I can't be of more help.

Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Ranachan/Rannachan  Renfrewshire/Glasgow
Elliot/Elliott Glasgow Falkirk Dumfries
Lowrie/Laurie Renfrewshire Glasgow
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Manley Hemyock Uffculme Sidbury
Stratton Bristol

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 February 11 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kat C
Where an earth did you get hold of the Seagoe Cemetery records? what a find
I never that I would be able to find out when Eleanor Somerville died

Back to Henry of Ballyhannon
Seagoe Cemetery  first is  hard to read, I think this is correct

Erected by Simon Somerville

Ballyhanon? in affectionate remembrance of his mother Eleanor Somerville who departed this life May 185(8?) I think that would be May 1853 as Henry married Caroline Brown in 1854 
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]aged 42 years
Also his father Henry Somerville who departed this life 19th Nov 1872 aged 66 years
Also his daughter Miriam Somerville who departed this life 27th July 18(7?)8 that would be 1898 as Mirriam was born in 1882 aged 16 years
Also his wife Mary Jane Somerville who departed this life 4th of March 1811 (probably means 1911 and the 11 is unclear) I think it would be 1911 also aged 60 years
Also the above named Simon Somerville who died 20th Nov 1926 aged 77 years

Next to it is
In loving memory of George Somerville of Ballydougan
died 19th July 1916
His wife Rachel died  10th Aug 1945
Their daughters Annie and Etna
Also their sons Howard and Norman

of interest is this which was farther away

In Loving Memory of Dorothy Caroline Born Melbourne Dec 8th, 1906 
Departed this life Nov 9, 1961
Also E. Vivian Somerville this would be Edmund Vivian Somerville he was the second son of William Somerville and Mary Sleator, William and Mary went to Liverpool about 1897 then to Manchester about 1900 Mary died there in 1918 and William died there in 1951William was Simon Somerville's half brother
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
born Manchester Aug 8th, 1906 Died Oct 17, 1981
(grandchildren are mentioned)

I found a Pierce Somerville dying at Leeds in 1862 aged about 57 I think he is the father of Sloan and Youngson, I found Pierce in the 1861 census he gave his occupation as a Glass Merchant, also found him in the 1851 census giving his occupation as a bottle merchant he was living in Leeds in 1851 and 1861 as lodger.
Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Ranachan/Rannachan  Renfrewshire/Glasgow
Elliot/Elliott Glasgow Falkirk Dumfries
Lowrie/Laurie Renfrewshire Glasgow
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Manley Hemyock Uffculme Sidbury
Stratton Bristol

Offline gloria1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 August 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a copy of George Somerville's death cert who died 4th August 1893

if anyone would like a copy please let me know.

Offline bronners

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 March 12 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dav

I have inherited four typed pages of 'approximate' Somerville Geneaology (dated 1937) in regards to Pierce, Jacques & George Somerville, so I hope this thread is still operating!  :

Quote:   "The three brothers, Pierce, Jacques and George came from Warwickshire to buy horses from Ireland for the English Army, and remained to settle in Ireland.
The surname at the time was pronounced Somerelle though the spelling not known. The same pronunciation was retained off and on for some time afterwards and is occassionally heard. They were French Hugenot stock, as were many of the progenitors of the Northern Irish where they were largely responsible for the development of the linen industry."

There is further information about Pierce & George's family lines. I descend from Pierce>Henry> ?Edmund's line (I think).

I am a New Zealander and all of the place names mentioned in your other posts are places where I have visited relatives on my mother's side (Barnetts, Somervilles, etc)  in my childhood and I attended a Somerville reunion at the family farm ?Okoroire about 25 years ago.
My nana Noreen Wynn Somerville (of Okoroire, Somerville Rd?) married a MEDLAND. The last I heard there were Somerville descendents running an orchid/cut flower business from the family farm. There are also still Somervilles on a farm at Maramarua (?my 2nd cousins). I also remember mention of Canada in the family history. The name Clive rings a bell, but there is also a 'Cliff' in my memory so I'll have to research the further.

Edmund Somerville's wife Mary Somerville (nee Simpson) was known in the family as Minnie as far as I know. Search for 'Metone Girls Grammar School' for history of her as one of the founding pupils at "Cobbalana".

(Pierce's son) "Edmund Somerville married Minnie Simpson at Metone, Melbourne Australia, April 3rd 1906 @ 'the Presbyterian Church". Bridesmaids were sisters Effie, Ethel & Daisy Simpson.
(This is extracted from a separate 1906 Metone news article I have a copy of).

This is Day 1 of research for me.

Is it appropriate to scan the pages and post them on this site or are they best typed up as a message post so that names are searchable for others? I've extracted the following detail from the text so far:

Pierce Somerville is recorded as having ten children:

Henry, George, Pierce, John(never married), Joseph(died young), Anne, Jane, Betty, Mollie & Charlotte.

Pierce's son Henry Somerville had 18 children via two marriages,  11 children survived:

Pierce's First family : John, Joseph, James, David, Simon, Hannah (died about 16), Ellen and Mary (died in infancy), and Sadie

Pierce's Second family(with ... BROWN?): Annie, Edmund, Elizabeth (died 3 weeks old), Ralph (died of whooping cough in infancy), Hannah, Henry (died in childhood), William & Mary.

Pierce's second son George lived in Ireland (? farm at Lurgan), married three times and had 15 children, nine of whom grew up. (None from third wife).

George's First family: Samuel, Benjamin and two daughters Jane & unknown(?+) all of whom went to Brisbane, and Benjamin later went to Melbourne.

George's Second family: Mary, Hannah, Rachel, John & George 'grew up'.

George (Senior) children:
Jane (eldest daughter) married HARRIS a pilot in Brisbane (grand-daughter Liza Hart was in Newtonards near Belfast (02.08.37 - probably 02 August 1937)
Mary went to Brisbane, married BELL
Hannah married WILLIAMSON farmer of Rich Hill. County Armagh. (handwritten note: "one of her (?sons) distinguished himself in the war and was accorded XXX military funeral)
Rachel married a head gardener called DRYSDALE (died six weeks prior to 02.08.37)
John (?died...) ''(...in a linen factory left a son and daughter)''
George (youngest son of George) "remained in County Down on his father's farm at Lurgan and had four children". His second son died at school, and the youngest son (?Yohannsan?) survived a fire at the farm ''six months ago (1937)"

(there is more about George's grandchildren too which I can try to decipher and post as necessary?)

Am I allowed to ask where you fit in?

Offline D-N

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 May 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have an extract from the Marriage Registry for my great-great grandparents Joseph McAvoy, Weaver of Knocknamuckly, father Lewis McAvoy, Weaver and Jane Hopps, Weaver of Ballydugan, father William Hopps, Weaver.  They married in the Parish of Knocknamuckly on 8/2/1861.  The marriage was conducted by Abraham Dawson.  Witnesses to their marriage were George Somerville and James England.

I'm still researching and have hit a brickwall in respect of Lewis McAvoy and have not yet been able to get back from 1861.  The interesting thing is that I often wondered if the witnessess to their marriage may have been related as sometimes was the case.  I have located a possible link of James England marrying an Elizabeth Ann McAvoy which I am still exploring as to whether she may have been a cousin to Joseph.

I came across your discussions here in respect of George Somerville and notice there was a marriage to Ann Hopps and of course am curious if this Ann Hopps may have been related to Jane Hopps.  Would anyone have anything further on these two which might help me.  Unfortunately, the marriage records don't list mothers so distinguishing my line further is difficult.  Also can you explain which marriage of George Somerville does Ann Hopps fit in.

On the same page of the copy I obtained for Joseph and Jane's marriage is another marriage for William Dines and Margaret Wilson, Widow as follows:

No. 62, Married 7 Feb. 1861, William Dines, 40, Bachelor, Farmer, Ballydugan, Father William Dines, Farmer.
Margaret Wilson, 30, Widow, Weaver, Ballydugan, Father Robert Adamson, Farmer.
Marriage in the Parish Chuch, Parish of Knocknamuckley in the County of Armagh according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireld by Licence by Abraham Dawson the Incumbant.
William Dines signed with his mark X
Margaret Wilson signed with her mark X
Witnesses were Christopher Blane and Mary Ann Adamson

(Ref. Page 493, No. 63, Film No. 0101248, Ireland Marriages 1860-1861, Church of Jesus Christ, Later Day Saints, Vol. 7 Page 483. (Film No 0101428 ordered from Fiche 0002 Locality Catalogue, Ireland, Civil Registries).

Look forward to any follow ups pleas.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 May 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
This is not an answer, but something to consider.

In Knocknamuckley are the McAvoys who go to that church. Lewis AKA Lucas b. 1813 is married to Elizabeth b 1818, probably married in 1848-1849, so you might be able to find that marriage record. This is his second marriage and he has son Joseph b 1833 by his first wife.  He has John b 1853 , Jane b 1854, and Mary Ann b 1857 by his second wife.  When John was baptized on March 9,1853, Lucas McEvoy was the name that probably appeared in the records, so keep an eye out for other spellings. 

Living nearby are John b 1812, Thomas b 1815 , and Jane McAvoy b 1810, siblings living together.  Also nearby is Bernard McAvoy b 1802 and wife Elizabeth b 1802 with children Jane b. 1830 and Elizabeth Ann b 1834.  Jane was baptized at Seagoe Church of Ireland, so I would look for the early records McAvoy to be located there.  However, most Bernards were Catholic, so I assume at some point the family converted.  Jane is the lady who married Henry Dynes of Knocknamuckley, son of Ralph Dynes in 1865.  Thomas England is a witness.  Ralph is not obviously related to the Ballydougan Dynes.  Elizabeth Ann married Joseph England, son of James and Eleanor England say my notes.  It was a Seagoe marriage and I thought the England family was from possibly Knock.

There was a Hopps family in Bleary, but no William in 1857.  Possibly he is William married to Mary Haddock in Levagry which was probably misspelled.  They had dau Hannah in 1828 baptized at Seagoe. 

Thanks for the Adamson/Wilson and Dynes marriage.  They are my relatives.  You will find links to McCormicks, England,  Somerville, and Cave, but the links may not mean much.  

The above dates are from the 1857 census and are not necessarily correct. 

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Oddly, there was a Bernard McAvoy marrying Mary Ann (Compton) Fletcher, a widow in 1852.  He was born 1802, but none of the wife's information matches the wife Elizabeth in 1857.  She was a widow and if this is the same Bernard, he would have been one also,  The father of this Bernard was Richard. 

There was a Bernard in Shankill in 1824 paying taxes, and it may be a common family name as the other people on the rental are Bernard and George McAvoy and a Murphy.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 May 12 06:38 BST (UK) »
The Bernard McAvoy who married Mary Ann Fletcher was married in a Catholic church and  appears in Lurgan in Griffiths while the Church of Ireland Bernard McAvoy is in Knocknamuckley. 

Valentine Dynes b. 1781 had sons Ralph who lived in Clanrole, Oliver, and Valentine.  Henry Dynes, who married Jane McAvoy,  is the son of this Ralph.  Youngston Somerville married this Ralph's daughter Elizabeth Dynes.  Yougnston and George  Somerville  who married Ann Hopps were brothers.  George Somerville had son John who married Mary Dynes.  She was the daughter of William Dynes and Margaret  (Adamson ) Wilson, the couple in the second marriage on the marriage page.  Small world.

You have said William Hopps was from Ballydougan, but I also read Ballyhannon and Ballygargan by people who were quickly transcribing.  Are you sure you have the correct location?   

Lewis/Lucans McAvoy had son William on Aug 4, 1858.  I would expect him to have son James born about this time, but I can't find any record of James.  James (as McEvoy) married a second wife Matilda in 1898.  You have been researching a long time.  Do you know who this Knocknamuckley James is?