Author Topic: COMPLETED without conclusion. Themistocles EMIGRATION from UK poss to Australia  (Read 4903 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Thank you in advance for helping.

I am looking for any list of passengers for this and other ships departing London at various times in the period say 1905 to WW1. Most likely from 1909, but may be earlier.  On the WW1 boards are several threads for Fromelles missing, particularly for those 19 lads who were born in UK, and as young men emigrated to Australia (often as farm hands, agricultural workers, and the like).   

Several seem to have emigrated from London in late 1911, arriving NSW Australia, - Sydney 11 January 1912 on Themistocles.  It may be a co-incidence, or perhaps they were part of an Emigration Plan, so perhaps the passenger list may include many single men with perhaps a "Matron".  I am not certain of that concept.

The WW1 Mod has kindly listed each of them (only 19 there) and their own specific thread on ONE thread, so may I list that main locked thread here please, so you can all read their names.  They fell at Fromelles 19/20 July 1916, and the CWGC and other official organisations are attempting the identification process as the UK media will have been keeping you informed about the mass grave at Fromelles.

Thank you in advance.  The list of the Fromelles missing who were in the Australian Army but born in UK is  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,380152.0.html 

Any passenger list findings - please either post information here or simply follow the link for each Lad in the thread I have included above. 

LEST WE FORGET.

Just Moi
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Themistocles EMIGRATION from UK poss to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

place "Thermistocles" in the search box, search as guest searcher.

Leanne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Themistocles EMIGRATION from UK poss to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Perhaps I ought to have included that I had tried the National Archives of Australia, and the vessel's passenger lists are NOT there, and very little has been digitised on any of the 25 records in their archives ( edit to add under that keyword search).  Sorry, I was hoping for embarkation lists, rather than disembarkation.  Of those 25 records, there are dates for post WW1, to 1940, there are people with Themistocles as their middle name.

Sorry Leanne, but the Aussie Archives have not advanced the search for the passenger lists, and I apologise for not mentioning this in my original post.

Still searching,

Just Moi.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.