Author Topic: Industrial School  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Yip0905

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Industrial School
« on: Thursday 14 May 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to find out about the Portsmouth and Hampshire Industrial School for girls.

In 1891 the school was in Waterloo Southampton Hampshire.

The reason for my interest is that I think my great grandmother was an inmate there in 1891 aged 8. Her name was Emily BROOK(E)S.

I have never managed to find a birth certificate for her despite looking for 5 years either side of the year she said she was born (April 1882), and on her marriage certificate she did not know who her father was.

In the 1901 census Emily gives her place of birth as Aldershot Hampshire. She was by this time living in Surrey.

Any information on this particular Industrial School, especially if it is known that admittance registers still exist, would be most welcome.

Yvonne

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial School
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
This was actually quite a small school housed in a small detached house and catered for 36 girls.  It was opened in 1881 and appears to have closed in 1915.  Certified 21st July 1881 for 36 girls.  Cessation of certification or closure 4th October 1915.  It was for the children of Portsmouth and Southampton, but situated in Cosham (Waterloo).

I would expect the records to be held in Winchester at Hampshire Record Office.  Unfortunately their catalogue search ( http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/  )  is misbehaving (again  ::) ) and so I cannot check this out at present.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yip0905

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

Thanks for trying to have a look for me.

I tried that link you posted, but the only Industrial Schools I could find there were Winchester IS and Purbrook IS.

I have been pulling my hair out over this for years, and am no further forward from the day I started trying to find out about my great grandmother's roots.

I have told my grandmother that the only solution is that when she joins her mother she will have to ask her and then come and visit me one night with the information!

Ah well.....

Thanks again

Yvonne

Offline pompeygirl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, You prob know this already but just incase,
Waterloo became and still is Waterlooville. there was an Industrial school there (Stakes Hill, Waterlooville) around the time you mention.

Dateline 1875

WATERLOOVILLE with STAKES formerly an extra-parochial village, was in 1858 constituted a parish, and named Waterloo. Waterlooville, during the summer, is filled with visitors from Portsmouth and Southsea, attracted thither by the purity of the air, which is particularly suitable for those who require a more bracing atmosphere and yet one that is adapted to weak chests.   

The church of St. George is in a mixed style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a small square tower containing 1 bell.

The register dates from 1836. . It is expected a school will be opened during the present year (1875).

At Stakes is a school, supported by John Deverell, esq., and subscriptions; also a large Government Industrial school.

The population in 1871 was 283.
http://www.southernlife.org.uk/waterlooville.htm
Clark~Callaway~Kimber~Benfield~Wright.
Eacott~Hoare~North~Varney.

Restorers feel the freedom... snip/chop/clip/crop/colour/texture till you're all cloned out :))

Offline pompeygirl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
I had a quick flit through the census records and indeed found
Emily Brooks age 8
y.0.b. 1883
industrial child
indus school
Catherington, Horndean
birth place NK

Catherington/Horndean is on the doorstep of Waterlooville.

Little Nell beat me to the school...
PORTSMOUTH AND SOUTH HANTS GIRLS' INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, SYDENHAM HOUSE, WATERLOO, COSHAM, R.S.O., HAMPSHIRE
the staff were;
1891  Superintendent Miss Hanmer; schoolmistress Miss A Winfield; house matron Mrs Watson

1893 -Superintendent Miss Hanmer; schoolmistress Miss A Winfield
Clark~Callaway~Kimber~Benfield~Wright.
Eacott~Hoare~North~Varney.

Restorers feel the freedom... snip/chop/clip/crop/colour/texture till you're all cloned out :))

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 September 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
In case you are still looking for information, there is some here:

http://www.missing-ancestors.com/portsmouth_and_south_hants_girls%20ind%20sch%20cosham%20info.htm

A list of inmates appears in the 1901 census: I hope listing them doesn't break any rules?

Minnie Abel 11
Mabel Aston 14
Jane Banks 5
Florence Bennett 7
Hannah M Bennett 10
Elizabeth Bowyer 9
Lily Bradbury 15
Violet Bradbury 15
Sarah Buckingham 15
Joan Butler 3
Maggie Butler 6
Norah Butler 7
Fanny Campbell 9
Frances Coulborne 12
Amy Dainton 10
Marjorie Dainton 9
Bessie Drake 19
Kitty Eagleton 7
Lavinia Francis 23
Mary Francis 28
Ellen Frogley 15
Faith E Green 15
Elsie Grimes 13
Grace Lilian Hight 9
Margaret Humshires 8
Lily Hutchins 15
Mary A Ingrane 15
Blanche Jobson 14
Maud Jones 14
Charlotte Kemp 13
Hannah Murray 11
Eliza Pearce 14
Dorothy Pool 15
Sarah Rogers 41
Thos L Rogers 43
Patty Sargeant 12
Susan Sowter 9
Joyce Summers 6
Patience Summers 8
Eva Edith Sumpter 34
Winifred A Turnes 15
Georgina Ward 8
Ruth Whiting 9

Be careful with their ages: girls often lied to be admitted, as the cut-off age was 14.
Wedd, Cotter, Nash, Hays, Stockbridge (Cambs/Herts), Pine (Kent), Chaplin (Cambs/Herts)
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
yvonne,

There is a lot of information about this establishment in the Hampshire Advertiser available through Infotrac Database in your  local library. I would suggest you go online and search it out. You can find it at a number of local libraries, but your local library doesn't do it, then you can always try Lancashire Libraries online-you don't have to live in Lancashire to join the library.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/onrl/

If you put into the search system:  Portsmouth and south hants industrial school, you will find amongst many items a lovely letter from a Mr. J W Younghusband, who writes about the establishment of the school, and the Act of Parliament that set up such schools.

There are adverts about the subscribers to the school and some of the cases there, the various meetings etc. Sydenham House was purchased for a sum of around £1000 for the purpose.

Here is a sample of some of the extracts, showing you the sorts of cases that ended up there:

POLICE INTELLIGENCE .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, December 22, 1883; Issue 5349.
   THE ELEMENTARY EDUCATION ACT:
The following persons were summoned by the School Attendance Committee in respect of their non-attendance of their children at school, and were dealt with as appended: Frank Hillier, The Village, Alverstoke, fined 5s; George Pannel, Forton, 2s 6d.; James Bartlett, Privett, school attendance order granted; Sarah Ann Baker, Beach St, Gosport, fined 5s; and the girl was ordered to be sent to the Waterloo Industrial School.

POLICE INTELLIGENCE .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, March 22, 1884; Issue 5362.

RESCUED from MISERY:

Beatrice Julia Drake, five years of age, who was found in a house of ill-fame in Southampton-Row, was ordered to be sent to the Waterloo Industrial School until she attained the age of 16 years.

Tom

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 November 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
ok want to know where this school was.. :P

ok www.old-maps.co.uk and put in Waterlooville. choose the 1909-1910 map. head slightly north of Waterlooville center. You will find it as Sydenham house and on earlier maps Sydenham Villa.

Hope this is of interest.

D xx
Brunton, Binnington, in Cullercoats
Paterson, Anderson in Fifeshire
Vacher, Vatchers, Vatyers, (other various spellings) , in Dorsetshire
Marchams, in Oxfordshire / Berkshire (depending on date)

Offline jacquelyntyner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Yvonne

I know you asked about the Hampshire industrial school for girls a long while back, but my grandmother and great aunt were in this school in 1901. When they were taken from there mother and put in Sydenham House their first and last names were changed. For most of there lives they didn't know what there real last name was untill they needed a birth certificate to collect oap. I'm sure that you cannot find her birth certificate because her name was likely changed to Brooke.
       Jacquie