Author Topic: Where is Jabber Track France near Passchendaele  (Read 9478 times)

Offline writer133

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Jabber Track France near Passchendaele
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 March 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
When the Grave Retrieval Units searched for bodies post-war, they were given total numbers of bodies definitely known to be buried in each quarter square (a-d). As you can see from this extract showing the relevant area, they had been notified of 100 in grid square 4b. These were just known graves, each square would also have its unknowns as well. I can't tell you how many were actually recovered from that square, or how many of those were identified, but a trawl through the CWWG records for nearby Polygon Wood Cemetery may be of help. When individuals were moved from another grave, they were given what is known as a 'concentration' document. These can be uploaded and checked, but you need to go through every casualty to find them all. (Having already gone through all 133 pages of these from that cemetery, looking for 12 men of the King's Own buried at Polygon Wood in 1915 and never recovered, it's no quick task!) 

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 March 17 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Very good information "writer133". Is Broodseine close to the Jabber Track? That's where my grandfather was wounded 4/10/1917. As a child, he showed me the machine gun wound scars on his leg- he was 1st Battalion A.I.F.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline writer133

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 March 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Very good information "writer133". Is Broodseine close to the Jabber Track? That's where my grandfather was wounded 4/10/1917. As a child, he showed me the machine gun wound scars on his leg- he was 1st Battalion A.I.F.

Les

Broodseinde is about 1,500 yards to the north of Jabber Track.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 March 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »

Thank you  ;)
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline StevenBow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 January 18 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Andcarred ... My name is Steven Bowman and Frederick Allwood was my Great-Great Uncle. What is your name? How did you go with this? I am also researching the grave location of Frederick. I also saw the same reference for his location:
"On 4 October 1917 Fred was wounded in action at Paschendaele and died the same day. He was buried at Jabber Track on 10 October 1917 Grave No 564 J 4.B.4.3"

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
While you're waiting for contact maybe you'd like to see this:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l8r/
You can see Jabber House & the track leading off.
The location of the graves has been located by others on here. Yellow square
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline StevenBow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 January 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jim1, very helpful!

Offline Ally11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I have found some documents on my great grandfather Edward Earnest Fowle. He was an Australian soldier on the Jabber Track on 4th October 1917 when there when an incident occurred killing horses and men of an ammunition wagon and helped save a man who was trapped under the wagon. It does not tell me what Battalion he was in... how would I be able to find this information out and any other interesting facts about his service history?

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 March 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I have found some documents on my great grandfather Edward Earnest Fowle. He was an Australian soldier on the Jabber Track on 4th October 1917 when there when an incident occurred killing horses and men of an ammunition wagon and helped save a man who was trapped under the wagon. It does not tell me what Battalion he was in... how would I be able to find this information out and any other interesting facts about his service history?

Ally here is a link to your great grandfather's Service History. Once on the site, click onto "View Digial Copy" near the right corner of the page, dthat will give you 69 pages of his history, which can also be downloaded for free as well. Sometimes these records can be a little hard to follow, but with patience, you will soon be able to work it;

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4023694&isAv=N

Les