Author Topic: ca,pt robert reece,merchant seaman  (Read 23842 times)

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ca,pt robert reece,merchant seaman
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
hi you guys - there are lots of rumors about r.r. eg ,ship being torpedoed , tea plantions somewhere.  the masons. alderman, ect  - just thought i might get at the truth. any offers please.
baty  reece   sunderland co durham

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 May 09 17:15 BST (UK) »
hi you guys - there are lots of rumors about r.r. eg ,ship being torpedoed , tea plantions somewhere.  the masons. alderman, ect  - just thought i might get at the truth. any offers please.
Offers are difficult without some idea of date.  Torpedoes, as we think of them today, are not going to fit in very well with someone born in 1823 for instance.  Pretty rare at that time.  You obviously know more so do tell us!
Andrea

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
hi sillgen, sorry, do,nt know the name of the ship, or date,all i  have is a medal inscribed, to kt r. reece, no 36 sunderland enct, services to king and country; front says european war 1914-1919, i think this is the masons.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Are you sure we are on the right man,he would have been in his 90s in WW1
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 May 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
p.s. igi, robert reece christing 5 july 1871, parents, john reece. catherine ann baxter,   spouse isabella sarah thompson, m , 27 july 1897, bish,, th. is this correct please.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 May 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Khonalan
I really do think you are just grasping at straws here without any real foundation for your research.  It took me some time to work out your latest post as I did not understand the abbreviations.  bish??    Eventually I looked on the IGI and found that you meant a record from Bishopwearmouth.  That particular record is a member submitted one so you would need to check the original entry to make sure it is accurate.  The IGI has relatively poor coverage for Durham anyway so there are dozens of other churches where he could have been baptised.
If all you know about this man is the medal can I suggest you post a photograph of it on the Armed Forces board and see if anyone can recognise it?   If they establish that it is a mason's medal, rather than military, as you suggest then you can try contacting the appropriate lodge.
There are too many possible Robert Reece, without considering alternative spelling of Rees, for us to be sure which one this man is without further positive information.  How does he fit in your tree?
Andrea

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
hi sillgen, capain robert reece was my grandfather, however, if you think its not worth looking up, then i will give up and close this posting. thanks khonalan.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
If he is your grandfather do you know his date and place of death?    Getting that certificate should be a first step.   It will give his approximate age and then we know where to start looking for a birth.  Who did he marry?  That certificate would help a lot too.
Andrea

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
hi sillgen, re; robert reece, entry of birth says, 15 june 1871, 21 mesham ? square ,father john rece ?, mother cathrine ann rece, formerly baxter,  occupation of father, seaman merchant service.  sorry, i do not have the death certificate, many thanks.