Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 37687 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
 Jack, there's a golf course where Westburn House stood, all that remains is an old stone doocot (dovecot). The lairds of Westburn were Hamilton's & a troop of horse would probably have been raised amongst the gentry.
The problem with DNA is that while it's a source back to Scotland for folks in the States it's not that common here. Should maybe be compulsory?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Great picture and comments ... I'm sure our friends here in Worcester will be most interested in what you have written .... thanks for contributing.
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline Jack Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 15 April 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Sean, in one of life's ironies, I live in Worcester County, in the state of Massachusetts, worked in the City of Worcester here for about 12 years, and was a member of the Worcester Rotary Club when we hosted the Rotary Club from Worcester, UK back in the 1990s.  I used to live about 25 miles from the Historic Marker for David... but didn't know of its existence at the time.  I do need to make the drive up to see it this summer.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 15 April 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sean, in one of life's ironies, I live in Worcester County, in the state of Massachusetts, worked in the City of Worcester here for about 12 years, and was a member of the Worcester Rotary Club when we hosted the Rotary Club from Worcester, UK back in the 1990s.  I used to live about 25 miles from the Historic Marker for David... but didn't know of its existence at the time.  I do need to make the drive up to see it this summer.
Jack that Marker is an absolutely wonderful memorial to your ancestor.
If it was me I'd wait until dark, replace it with a cardboard cut-out and take the marker home.
You know it makes sense  ;D
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 November 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
The old road over the original Powick bridge is still there but parts of it now have been lost. This occurred when a partial ringroad was built to skirt around Worcester's westside

Offline Sherry Duty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:15 BST (UK) »
earlross66
Is it possible your George Ross was captured at the battle of Dunbar?
Check out  The Scottish Prisoners of War Society, Promoting knowledge of the Scottish prisoners from the Battles of Dunbar (1650) and Worcester (1651).
https://scottishprisonersofwar.com/
Or they could have put him on the wrong list

George Ross (c 1629-), Possible Dunbar Prisoner (hm)

Published: 13 Feb 2015
Updated: 29 Sep 2018
Page contributors: Eleanor Hall, Andrew Millard, and Teresa Rust

IMPORTANT UPDATE! (July 2018)
According to, Christopher Gerrard, Pam Graves, Andrew Millard, Richard Annis, and Anwen Caffell, in, Lost Lives, New Voices: Unlocking the Stories of the Scottish Soldiers at the Battle of Dunbar 1650, (England: Oxbow Books, 2018), on page 254, George is categorized as:

Possible [that he is a Dunbar prisoner transported on the Unity]

Ross, George. Residences: New Haven CT, Elizabeth NJ. Appears: 1658. B.c.1629.  [DR; SPOWS]

For explanations of the category, abbreviations and references see List of Dunbar prisoners from Lost Lives, New Voices.

For more information please contact the descendants/researchers of George Ross. Thank you! 🙂

First Generation in the New World

1. GEORGE¹ ROSS, was born, possibly in Scotland, about 1629 and died probably in Elizabeth, New Jersey after 1670. He married at New Haven, Connecticut in 1658, CONSTANCE LITTLE.

Children of George and Constance (Little) Ross:

Sources and Notes:
George Ross was born around 1629. The family tradition was that he was a Scots soldier captured at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 or of Worcester in 1651. He may have worked in the Saugus Iron Works in Lynn, MA. He was in New Haven, CT, then went to NJ about 1670. (Source: The Ross Family of New Jersey, by Robert Ross.)

In 1658, in New Haven, he married Constance Little and in the same year he was admitted a free man. (Source: History of Elizabeth, New Jersey by Rev. E. F. Hatfield, 1868, page 167, cited by Robert Ross.) The date, 1658, would fit in with the theory that he was a prisoner and was an indentured servant for 6-7 years.
~ Written and submitted by Eleanor Hall

Sources and Notes:
George Ross was born around 1629. The family tradition was that he was a Scots soldier captured at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 or of Worcester in 1651. He may have worked in the Saugus Iron Works in Lynn, MA. He was in New Haven, CT, then went to NJ about 1670. (Source: The Ross Family of New Jersey, by Robert Ross.)

In 1658, in New Haven, he married Constance Little and in the same year he was admitted a free man. (Source: History of Elizabeth, New Jersey by Rev. E. F. Hatfield, 1868, page 167, cited by Robert Ross.) The date, 1658, would fit in with the theory that he was a prisoner and was an indentured servant for 6-7 years.
~ Written and submitted by Eleanor Hall

Names from George S. Stewart’s Captured at Dunbar list:
Ross, Finlay, #88 on Captured at Dunbar list
Ross, Gilchrist, #89 on Captured at Dunbar list
Ross, John, #90 on Captured at Dunbar list
Ross, Thomas, #91 on Captured at Dunbar list

Names from John and Sara list:
217. Alester Ross
218. Daniel Ross
219. James Ross
220. James Ross
221. Jonas Ross
222. David Rosse [Ross?]
223. John Rosse [Ross?]
224. John Rosse
225. John Rosse

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting site Sherry, welcome to Rootschat!

Skoosh.

Offline Sherry Duty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skooch.
I am reasearching Robert Stewart, he is my 9th great-grandfather. I believe Robert was taken at Worcester and transported to
Boston on the John and Sarah, 1652.
I would like to know his origins.  Any information woud be greatly appreciated.

Robert Stewart was on the John and Sarah, with Austin Stewart, Charles Stewart, Neile Stewart,
and William Stewart. I would be I would be interested in information on any of these men, as
they could possibly be related. Information on one could possibly lead to the origins of another.

There is no record of  Robert Stewart of Norwalk, Conn. before 1660, entrys on wikitree, @https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Stuart-1883
and Geni @https://www.geni.com/people/Robert-Stewart/6000000001141513033,  State: he was born 1625, and his parents are
Francis Stewart, Lord Stewart and Bothwell and Isabel Seton. From DNA of which I am no expert, those parents are not possible.
Others say he was born 1630. I have yet to find  a record with his age. have found his death cert.

STEWART CLAN MAGAZINE
Editor: George Thomas Edson

Robert Stewart of Norwalk, Conn. ^^^ ^ **

From many sources
Robert^ Stewart of Milford, Conn., bought on Mar 8, 1659^60, the home lot of Samuel Hale, in Norwalk.®
No earlier record of him has been found. He married in Norwalk June 12, 1661, Bethia Rumble,® daughter
of Thomas and Rose (Sherwood) Rumball of Stratford, Conn. He bought land May 30, 1663, of Thomas Adgate,
and bought other property Jan. 22, 1674, ^or ^'loo, which had been granted to Richard Bushnell.® He sold
land Mar. 11, 1663 '4, to John Raymond. He was a man of high standing in Norwalk, and was the founder
of an influential family. He possessed land on Ely Neck, Stewart's Meadow and Stewart's Landing. The
valuation of his estate was placed at £225 on Jan. 3, 1687. He made his will on Mar. 12, 1678'9, but no record
of his death can be found. The inventory was filed Dec. 5, 1688, by Mark St. John, Thomas Scymorc and James
Olmstead, and administration on the estate was granted to the widow Bethia and eldest son James. On^ Mar. 13, 1693 '4,
Samuel Hayes, with the two sons James and John, was appointed ,T0 distribute the estate [Fairfield county probate, iii:26o].
The date of Bethia "s death is unknown. Children:®®

Robert Stewart died 5 Dec 1688, Norfolk, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA
Bethia Rumball Stewart died 1685,  Norfolk, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA

THE FIRST SETTLERS OF NEW ENGLAND, BY JAMES SAVAGE
ROBERT, Norwalk, mov. in from Milford, where he had not been long, buying est. in N. 1660, m. 12 June 1661, Bethia,
d. of Thomas Rumball of Stratford, had
James, b. 19 Mar. 1662 ;
Abigail, Aug. 1666 ;
John, 18 Mar. 1668 ;
Deborah, May 1669;
Eliz. Sept. 1671; and
Phebe, Feb. 1673, or 4; and was liv.1687.

Message Boards
@https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=9244&p=surnames.stewart
Re: Robert Stewart (1642), son of Francis Stewart & Isobel Seton?
hereldstuart (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2018 07:09PM   
Classification: Query
I have just received a DNA report, which, combined with my paper trail, indicates that I descend from Robert Stewart of
Milford/Norwalk. I think it is very possible that he came over on the John and Mary in 1651/1652. However, my Y-DNA
supposedly indicates that I descend from Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll (s781.org). If this is true, our Robert could not be
the son of Francis and Isobel. Of course this is tentative and difficult to prove, but as more data comes in, we may get a
clearer picture. If only Robert Stewart had uploaded his family tree!

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 08 July 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sherry Duty for all that info .....