Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 37803 times)

Offline bruce1746

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
If you believe the lineage contained within The Christian Watt Papers, then one of my ancestors was there.

My greatx11 grandfather, Alexander Fraser (1604-93) (11th Lord Saltoun, 10th Laird of Philorth), fought at the battle. He was said to have been wounded and escaped thanks to the aid of his manservant who took him back to the safety of the North.

He would be the only ancestor I know of, assuming that the lineage is correct (and I have very little reason to doubt it).

Windsor87

Hi, I am new to Rootschat & came across this post. I have recently traced an ancetsor on my fathers side, James Cardno (Born in1620) who was servant to 11th Lord Saltoun. It is said that out of 800 men these two are the only ones that returned home to the NE of Scotland. I came across this on a website:-

The 10th laird, later 10th (now 11th) Lord Saltoun, was severely wounded at the Battle of Worcester in 1651, but survived, thanks to his servant, James Cardno, who rescued him from the battlefield, hid him and nursed him, and got him home to Fraserburgh.

James Cardno's portrait is said to hang in Cairnbulg Castle, present seat of the Chief of Clan Fraser.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce 1746

That is really good research regarding your ancestor. Do you know where the original script is, or have a copy of the original script that refers to James Cardno's deed? Was it a different scource than the Christian Watts Papers? Do you have a copy of James' portrait?

cheers
Sean
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline bruce1746

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,
   I've only traced my ancestor (James Cardno) back this week, mainly using Ancestry.com & trawling websites about the Cardno family. I haven't read the 'Christian Watt Papers' yet but will do as she mentions 'Nobles of Broadsea' to which I also have ancestors.
The info. I found about James Cardno can be found on the following     http://www.fraserchief.co.uk/history.html#saltoun  . Pretty interesting stuff, now I just need to find out about my other ancestors who fought at Trafalgar & Culloden   :)

Below is the protrait of the said James Cardno, servant to 11th Lord Saltoun.

Offline Lyrasong

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My ancestor, Neal MacCone, is believed to have fought at the Battle of Worcester. He was born about 1625, probably in Scotland, and died before 1680 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia Colony. He may have come into port at Boston. Neal is thought to have married Anne Hawkins, probably after his arrival in Virginia. His son, William MacCone, was my ninth great-grandfather.

I am just beginning to research our MacCone line. It was wonderful to find this thread!

Regards,

Holly
Whitley - Isle of Wight County, Virginia; Boughan - Essex County, Virginia; Gwynn - Edgefield District, South Carolina; MacCone - Isle of Wight County, Virginia and Scotland

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Holly

good to here from you...keep in touch; would like to hear more when you have done more research.

Sean

please visit our site             http://www.thebattleofworcestersociety.org.uk/Welcome.html
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline rfassett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 December 11 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this thread.  I am brand new to RootsChat and don't ask me why.  I have been studying my ancestry for some time and just now come across this site.  I look forward to learning and sharing.

In the meantime, I have traced my name sake back to Massachusetts and have found that family tradition has my 8th and 9th great grandfathers on the John and Sara that unloaded in 1652.  They are listed as John and Patricke MACKFARSON or McFARSON or McPHEARSON and for some reason changed the family name to FASSET or FASSETT when they arrived in Boston.

I have a lot of studying and researching to do.  I will check out the The Battle of Worcester Society website.  The thought just occurred to me, I don't know if Patricke was married before he was shipped over here, but I know that John (Patricke's father) would have been, at least at one time.  So what would have happened to the families these guys left behind?

Again, thanks for this thread.

Ron

Offline Roberta W.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 December 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
For those interested, I recently came into possession of a copy of a book written in 1844 by jacob Abbott on the life of Charles II. There is a good chapter on this battle and the events leading up to and after, right down to the oxen that was killed at the gate that prevented the king from retreating back into the city and including a sketch of what the city looked like with a vantage point from the other side of the bridge on the Severn river. Be careful though and have lots of tissue handly because you are going to empathize with your ancestors caught in the battle. I also found it on google books. The Massachusetts archives has documents on what happened to some of the people who were transported on the John and Sarah to the Saugus mills and mines as well as other locations. They have an index on line and its in the "Eastern Lands" section. Their information is that the Virginia Scotch prisoners were mostly from the later 1745 rebellion.
Bertie
Scotland: McKenney (Mackiny, Machenie)
Scotland: Gray
England: Jordan, Chase (of Cornwall), Follansbee, Wheeler (Salisbury, Wilts), Merrill
Ireland: Fulton (greater Londonderry area)

Offline Grizzleebear

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 January 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
G'day from David, in South Australia
My Family is from Worcester and Warwick. My Grand-dad was born in Alcester.
My brother has a Bible which was handed down from generation to generation in our family. One of the Family Stories was that it was given to our family after the Battle Of Worcester, by Oliver Cromwell. I do not believe that my family was actually involved in the battle, but that they were Land Owners and Cromwell visited their Family House. There was a reference that Cromwell read this Bible before the Battle. I have been unable to obtain proof of any of this information that has been handed down from father to son, but the dates in the Bible and the Bible itself is from the 1600s.

I'll have to check through the Family Holdings back then and see whether I can hone in on the information that way. Thankfully a relative in England did an extremely good history of our family, going back to the Crusades (which Crusade I don't know)

Thanks for your post. I am enjoying reading all of the replies

Offline earlross66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 August 12 17:54 BST (UK) »
sean,
my 6th great grandfather was george ross born in 1629 & he fought in the battle of worchester 1651, was captured & then sent to america. I have a document that says his name did not seem to be on the list of the ship John & Sarah. I believe his father was David the 11th from Balnougoun. any help would be appreciated.   Earl Ross